Should Shaun Wane approach Sam Walker and Victor Radley?

The two players are both very talented, are both young and both qualify for England, as such why wouldn't you approach them?

For Walker especially, he has shown he is exceptionally talented and there is a decent chance he'll only improve, as such wouldn't you want to lock him up for England now? Offering him a spot in the England World Cup squad doesn't mean that Wane has to play him against the bigger opposition, you can pick him to play against Greece or France and ensure he doesn't become a Kangaroo in 3 years time.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

He’ll be playing for Samoa won’t he ?

I think if he plays origin then that means he switches allegiance to Australia does it not? I may well be wrong on that as the rules seem to change regularly. Was talk of allowing pacific island rep players in origin a couple of months ago but not sure what came of it.

59 minutes ago, John C H said:

I think if he plays origin then that means he switches allegiance to Australia does it not? I may well be wrong on that as the rules seem to change regularly. Was talk of allowing pacific island rep players in origin a couple of months ago but not sure what came of it.

Not for Samoa.  Playing Origin only commits you to Australia as a tier 1 nation... i.e. you cannot play for England or New Zealand and play Origin.  You can play Origin and play internationally for any other nation.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Not for Samoa.  Playing Origin only commits you to Australia as a tier 1 nation... i.e. you cannot play for England or New Zealand and play Origin.  You can play Origin and play internationally for any other nation.

Either way it’s still a joke.

If it wasn’t for origin players like Kalyn ponga would be representing New Zealand.

On 26/05/2021 at 21:48, arcticchris said:

Sam Walker has arguably made the best start to a senior career of any Half in the fully professional era.

He has been every inch an assured superstar with running game, passing short and long and a terrific close range kicking game.

The Kangaroos will almost certainly go Cleary, Keary, Munster and Cherry Evans as their 4 halves with Wighton as backup in the squad but picked primarily as a centre though IMO they would be missing a trick not taking Walker as a wildcard.

The likes of Sam Walker and Reece Walsh are certainly benefiting from the way the modern game is refereed - both on the pitch and video ref.

They are taking the ball to the line and throwing great passes but they are also pretty safe to know that they are not going to get smashed.

I am not saying ther are not physically durable or tough, as they are playing professional Rugby League, but can you imagine the stick they would have copped in the 70's and 80's.

Not saying this is a bad thing, just an observation and a reason why we see players succeeding much younger. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

The likes of Sam Walker and Reece Walsh are certainly benefiting from the way the modern game is refereed - both on the pitch and video ref.

They are taking the ball to the line and throwing great passes but they are also pretty safe to know that they are not going to get smashed.

I am not saying ther are not physically durable or tough, as they are playing professional Rugby League, but can you imagine the stick they would have copped in the 70's and 80's.

Not saying this is a bad thing, just an observation and a reason why we see players succeeding much younger. 

Staying down in the tackle is profitable to . It’s something in general that’s really irrirating me , as is the way the bunker plays along 

14 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Staying down in the tackle is profitable to . It’s something in general that’s really irrirating me , as is the way the bunker plays along 

It is very frustrating. 

I was only playing amateur Rugby League but the golden rule was never to show that you were hurt, if you possibly can you get up. Now if you show you are hurt you get a reward.

On 26/05/2021 at 03:40, Manfred Mann said:

With the furor over George Williams this week, and his probable lack of experience playing rugby league again this season (unless Derek Beaumont signs him), Williams may not be in any physical or mental state to play for England in October. 

Victor Radley's 5 week suspension gives him limited prospects of playing for New South Wales Origin this year, and hence cripples his chances of representing Australia in the World Cup.

In the light of these facts, might Shaun Wane be advised to approach Leeds born brilliant young talent Sam Walker for the England half back slot, and Victor Radley (the son of an English father) for England's loose forward? They are Roosters team mates, and will know each other's games perfectly by October. They are each massive talents.

No no no

Gale and Lomax all the way with plenty of back up 

I would even pick widdop and hastings before anymore fake brits 

44 minutes ago, yipyee said:

No no no

Gale and Lomax all the way with plenty of back up 

I would even pick widdop and hastings before anymore fake brits 

Yep, look at the England football team and how detached they are now from the modern fan due to the amount of money. We used to go all over the world to watch them but now I don't even switch the chanel to watch them play as they have no connection to the fans - and the standard of play is awful.

Money not the issue in RL but why would the England fans want to support a team with 6 or so 3rd string Aussies when England have about 100 SL quality players to choose from? England are a top 3 or 4 RL national team and have more than enough great players to choose from.

On 28/05/2021 at 17:48, Dunbar said:

It is very frustrating. 

I was only playing amateur Rugby League but the golden rule was never to show that you were hurt, if you possibly can you get up. Now if you show you are hurt you get a reward.

It used to be my stock statement with football fans, I would argue that in football player's would act that they were hurt most of the time to win penalties, in Rugby League player's would try to not show they were hurt as they would be targeted, I have come to realise that I can't use that argument any more it is simply not true.

20 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Wane should do everything he can to get the best possible players in an England shirt this year. I’m not sure how that’s a controversial statement but bizarrely it seems to be.

Right, well that ends this thread then.

Radley is nothing special and no better than and English born players and Walker may well turn out to be a great half back but right now he's tooo inexperienced and error prone to be even considered for a test place.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Archived