Super League Show reduced to 28 minutes

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I'm not surprised it gets messed around in the scheduling these days, the BBC will probably just argue that you can watch it whenever you want on iplayer so it doesn't really matter when they put it on. 

I haven't even watched it in ages, not at all so far this season and barely at all last season either, I tend to just watch all the highlights on YouTube instead, cuts out all the talking you get on the BBC show and you can pick and choose games if there's some you're not interested in. 

That is fair do's, but what about all the other potential viewers who get missed and that do not otherwise give credit to RL?

20 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

That is fair do's, but what about all the other potential viewers who get missed and that do not otherwise give credit to RL?

I agree, certainly having the program on proper tele gives our game some more presence and exposure and potentially means people who don't follow RL may watch it and get into the game but we're not in charge of RL coverage at the BBC and it seems that whoever is thinks the general public don't care about the sport and so there is no impact to constantly moving the program round in the scheduling, shortening it, putting it on only regionally etc. etc. They clearly think that the program is only aimed at hardcore fans who will purposefully seek it out on catch-up services.

If anything, I really get the impression that the BBC only cover RL because they feel like they have to so as to fulfill their obligations to offer a wide range of programming across many different subjects and regions of the UK. Its like how recently they've released their latest mission statement where they've committed to increasing coverage of areas of the UK outside of the southeast and said they are gonna make more programs about the North. Essentially if they keep covering RL, even at the small level they do now, they can say they are offering programming about the North and don't have to focus too much on spending a lot more money on new programs. 

Anyway, that's enough conspiracy theories for today. 

5 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

The likelihood that significant numbers of people will stumble upon the SLS in its current broadcast slots is very small.

Added to that, the recent availability of YouTube SL highlights for existing fans makes the programme increasingly irrelevant, as the only bonus content they can offer is some chit-chat, plus the occasional feature (which can usually be watched separately on the BBC Sport website anyway).

The show was never given the chance by the BBC to become a fixture in fans' viewing schedules and can't compete with the volume of RL content that is now available online. If it was being axed from a mid/early evening slot on BBC1/2/4, I'd be more upset.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

“Dear Mr xxxxxxxx,

Thank you for recent correspondence regarding the scheduling and run time of The Super League Show.

We disagree with your claim that the show should be available to the general population to the same extent as other sports, and stand by our decision to broadcast in the early hours without a regular slot. We have done this to avoid viewers outside of the North of England mistakenly identifying the code as a nationally available alternative to Rugby Union.

We also disagree with the run time argument.   We are gradually reducing the number of minutes of highlights allocated to each game to standardise the coverage with Rugby Union highlights, which on average equates to 17 seconds of runtime per game (about the time to film two penalty goals).

I appreciate this may disappoint you, but we really don’t care.

Yours Sincerely,

John Inverdale.

Head of Fairness and Equality, BBC.”

On 26/05/2021 at 16:12, Oxford said:

Because if they made it a decent length and put it on at a sensible time then people would know it existed and the beeb wouldn't be doing its job properly then, would it?

Oh, go on then give us a laugh, tell us what Aunty said.

Well, I got my reply tonight:

"Thank you for contacting us with your scheduling concerns regarding BBC Two's 'The Super League Show' broadcast on 24 May.

We create schedules which we hope will appeal to as many of our audience. The truth is we can’t please everyone all of the time. It’s part of the challenge we face when serving the whole nation.

We hope that despite your concerns that you will continue to watch the programme.

We do value your feedback about this. All complaints are sent to senior management and we’ve included your points in our overnight report. These reports are among the most widely read sources of feedback in the company and ensures that your concerns have been seen by the right people quickly. This helps inform their decisions about current and future content.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us.

Kind regards,

Neil Salt

BBC Complaints Team "

I think that's ignorant and patronising. "the whole nation" indeed!

Let alone the first sentence in the second line being nonsensical.

Am I the only one to care?

4 hours ago, thunder pete said:

Well, I got my reply tonight:

"Thank you for contacting us with your scheduling concerns regarding BBC Two's 'The Super League Show' broadcast on 24 May.

We create schedules which we hope will appeal to as many of our audience. The truth is we can’t please everyone all of the time. It’s part of the challenge we face when serving the whole nation.

We hope that despite your concerns that you will continue to watch the programme.

We do value your feedback about this. All complaints are sent to senior management and we’ve included your points in our overnight report. These reports are among the most widely read sources of feedback in the company and ensures that your concerns have been seen by the right people quickly. This helps inform their decisions about current and future content.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us.

Kind regards,

Neil Salt

BBC Complaints Team "

I think that's ignorant and patronising. "the whole nation" indeed!

Let alone the first sentence in the second line being nonsensical.

Am I the only one to care?

The Beeb has always sent out replies just like this, and when you get one it's hard not to be annoyed at the arrogance and condescension.

Thank you for sharing your views and we would just like to say that we at Total Forums Fans appreciate your feedback on the Greatest Game in the Universe and can only express our sincere appologies for the treatment you recieved atthe hands of the conservative property for sale organisation in London.

Kind regards

A Oxford

Total FF Counsellors for Media reply Trauma and Injuries Caused by Supercilious Disdain.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Is the BBC under any contractual obligations to create this show? And do they do the same for other sports with roughly the same profile as League?

From an outsider perspective, it seems weird that they invest in a show which has on screen talent for a competition they don't actually have the rights to, which predominantly just shows highlights, which are now accessible on multiple websites and platforms shortly after full-time. It also seems weird that neither the RFL or Super League acknowledge or promote even the existence of the show.

It really creates a cycle of meh-ness where the RL diehards have no reason to watch the show (or awareness of it), so it doesn't rate, so the BBC put it in worse timeslots where it continues not to rate and so on.

If the BBC is contractually required to show something RL related each week, the RFL would be better off trying to work with them and either create something unique that people would at least iView or better complement the RL products the BBC does have rights to.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

14 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

They have the rights to show a Super League highlights programme, to be broadcast anytime after a certain point on a Sunday.

Having the rights and being contractually obliged are two very different things though.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Quite frankly it’s a dour programme which I can’t imagine anyone with access to sky or even YouTube will watch. That’s possibly a deliberate ploy of the BBC’s to run it down so eventually viewing figures are so low that they can drop it, and show more reruns of homes under the hammer instead. 

Just look at what they have done to the cricket test match show before thinking it is just anti-RL. They seem to have lost all ability to present sports in general.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I think there’s an element of how younger people watch TV to take into account here. The idea of watching most (non live) shows at a fixed time is quite old fashioned. So is fidelity to a single broadcast channel/platform. Media has changed. People watch clips from all sorts of sources. My son likes watching sport highlight programmes when it suits him rather than the schedulers. 

Football aside, few (?any) other sports get anything equivalent to the SLS. 

35 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I’ve just watched this weeks episode and it’s not as bad as all that. And it’s definitely better that it exists than not. But IMO they’d be better off showing one or two games highlights rather than every game. I think RL suffers more than most with highlights as it basically looks like just a procession of trys with the build up missing, which often makes it look like good trys are just easy. 
Ultimately I think what it’s missing is Harry Gration saying ‘enjoy your rugby league- we do’ at the end of the show. (A bit like when they used to say ‘don’t have nightmares’ at the end of crimewatch)

Harry Gration is advertising stair lifts at the moment.  Those adverts have more meaningful content than 28 minutes of stream of consciousness RL highlights.

2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I’ve just watched this weeks episode and it’s not as bad as all that. And it’s definitely better that it exists than not. But IMO they’d be better off showing one or two games highlights rather than every game. I think RL suffers more than most with highlights as it basically looks like just a procession of trys with the build up missing, which often makes it look like good trys are just easy. 
Ultimately I think what it’s missing is Harry Gration saying ‘enjoy your rugby league- we do’ at the end of the show. (A bit like when they used to say ‘don’t have nightmares’ at the end of crimewatch)

I’d love for RL to at least show the set building up to the try. It puts it into a bit of context, if time is an issue like you say show the two best games like that and the trys from the rest

The Editing of in game highlights was Amateurish....you expect better for the License fee...It was like a vhs tape had been cut and re attached...The young Lady Player from Huddersfield was great and a breath of fresh air a couple of weeks back.

4 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Sky used to do a thing where Tony Rea would analyse that week's tries. Frankly, if all the Super League Show was that (and specifically Rea or someone as good as him) then it would be a perfect showcase for our sport as he is both really good at spotting what has happened and, crucially, explaining that in a way that is both easy to understand but doesn't make the game seem simple.

I do agree that picking one game and covering that in detail would be better than rushing to show everything.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, eclecticsheep said:

The Editing of in game highlights was Amateurish....you expect better for the License fee...It was like a vhs tape had been cut and re attached...The young Lady Player from Huddersfield was great and a breath of fresh air a couple of weeks back.

Im sorry to have to say that i think the single talking head each week comes across as amateurish.  Admittedly the SKY instant vox pops after the game from wotshername is no better.  Increasingly Harry Smith's remarks looks to have been the best contribution.

No.  The game is being wrapped up and thrown under a bus.

🏉 #SuperLeagueShow #RugbyLeague Highlights from the latest round just dropped on BBC iPlayer ⬇️ 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000wnlm/super-league-show-2021-31052021

Just don't get what's so hard about all 12 Clubs doing this every week on all their social media channels ? And something similar for half hour b4 the national broadcast of the show on TV prior to it been uploaded to the iplayer, its really not that hard to communicate, even stick a couple of quid to promote FB posts and tweets, they'll reap the benefits of further reach just throwing tenners through social media extra reach every so often. 

11 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I think RL suffers more than most with highlights as it basically looks like just a procession of trys with the build up missing, which often makes it look like good trys are just easy. 

It was ever thus at the BBC. When they used to show the second half of games live on Grandstand, the first half highlights preamble was thrown together by someone who clearly had no idea what they were doing. 

Judicious selection of clips to capture a narrative requires some understanding of the game. BBC editors probably apply Soccer values to the task, which are quite different from RL in terms of context, key moments, field position, possession, etc.

It`s no help or guide when RFL editors can sometimes be as ineptly arbitrary in what they post on social media.

11 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I regarded Harry`s customary parting epigram as a down-to-earth RL version of Casey Kasem`s uplifting "Keep your feet on the ground, and keep reaching for the stars".

In 2021 "don`t have nightmares" might be more realistic advice.

Archived