Narbonne

I know Narbonne is very close to the French RL heartlands, and some of the finals are played there, but do they have their own RL team? I’ve been googling and can’t find anything, other than a third tier Union side. Thanks. 

The first international I covered when RL reporter on the Daily Star (back in 1978) was France against Wales at Narbonne,(at least I think it was Wales) Narbonne incidentally has a RL connection. The town is twinned with Eccles or it was in those days because we walked down Eccles Avenue. Don't think they had a RL local team though.

From memory, seems to come and go with low level club one year, folding next then back few years later.

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

2 hours ago, BJW said:

From memory, seems to come and go with low level club one year, folding next then back few years later.

Shame, given where it is in relation to the other clubs. Though I suppose it’s like me wondering why RL is so big in St Helens and Wigan but unheard of in Skelmersdale, for example. 

It's not an uncommon pattern in France though - a small town in the area has a RL team, the larger nearby town or city has a RU club. See also Béziers, Agen, Montauban etc.

Narbonne RU have won the French championship, made European finals etc. They were taken over by a consortium of ex-Wallaby players and a few years ago demoted down several divisions for financial irregularities/non-payment of wages etc. Not sure if they actually went bust, but they've risen back up to the third tier relatively quickly and would expect to be higher still.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/05/2021 at 20:24, JonM said:

It's not an uncommon pattern in France though - a small town in the area has a RL team, the larger nearby town or city has a RU club. See also Béziers, Agen, Montauban etc.

Narbonne RU have won the French championship, made European finals etc. They were taken over by a consortium of ex-Wallaby players and a few years ago demoted down several divisions for financial irregularities/non-payment of wages etc. Not sure if they actually went bust, but they've risen back up to the third tier relatively quickly and would expect to be higher still.

They’ve been promoted to the second divisin

Archived