New venue for Origin I

...due to sudden covid outbreak in Melbourne.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2021-melbourne-covid19-outbreak-state-of-origin-game-one-melbourne-cricket-ground-nsw-blues-queensland-maroons/news-story/91a39fecdb0bd3751069ea2c0db2fd0c

Now, given that Melbourne is a neutral venue, I am pretty certain that rules out both Brisbane and Sydney (or any Qld, NSW venue for that matter). So what are the options?

I'd say Perth is the frontrunner, followed by Adelaide, though unlikely since they hosted it last year.

Personally I would love to see it go to Auckland, but I know that is unlikely, as it will require a 22:10 local time kick-off if they want to maintain their current timeslot. Also I think their may be some issues regarding trans-tasman travel, making it an unlikley choice?

My suggestion? 🇵🇬 PNG!!!!

Sure, ticket revenues will take a hit, but most revenue is coming from TV anyway! Just imagine the atmosphere? It will be absolutely electric and dare I say, like nothing we have ever seen before in the Origin arena!!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leigh Sports Village on a Wednesday.  Winner.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

PNG would burn to the ground.

They've thought of banning broadcasting it there because of the massive jump in violence during the games.

Would I love to see it?

Yes.

new rise.jpg

6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

If they have to move it, it'll go to Sydney or Brisbane. Not the time to do the expansionary thing, in the circumstances.

Games 2 and 3 are going there. Neither side will accept the other getting home ground advantage.

The closest I can see to that happening, is perhaps Canberra.

My money is on Perth. 

1 hour ago, langpark said:

Way to derail a topic fellas! đź‘Ť

My apologies for starting that derail. I guess the bottom line is that as a UK Rugby League fan, where the SOO games are played is not massively important, we just enjoy watching it.

It was just meant as a bit of fun.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, langpark said:

...due to sudden covid outbreak in Melbourne.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2021-melbourne-covid19-outbreak-state-of-origin-game-one-melbourne-cricket-ground-nsw-blues-queensland-maroons/news-story/91a39fecdb0bd3751069ea2c0db2fd0c

Now, given that Melbourne is a neutral venue, I am pretty certain that rules out both Brisbane and Sydney (or any Qld, NSW venue for that matter). So what are the options?

I'd say Perth is the frontrunner, followed by Adelaide, though unlikely since they hosted it last year.

Personally I would love to see it go to Auckland, but I know that is unlikely, as it will require a 22:10 local time kick-off if they want to maintain their current timeslot. Also I think their may be some issues regarding trans-tasman travel, making it an unlikley choice?

My suggestion? 🇵🇬 PNG!!!!

Sure, ticket revenues will take a hit, but most revenue is coming from TV anyway! Just imagine the atmosphere? It will be absolutely electric and dare I say, like nothing we have ever seen before in the Origin arena!!

Should I be bothered?   Shouldn't this be on the International forum?

Do Aussie internet forums agonise over where we play our Cup Semi Finals?

2 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Well, there's a wedding booked for Wednesday, plus the under 19s are training, so State of Origin could be on Thursday night?

Strong possibility that Mark, better tell Degsy to get his chequebook out there may be one or two player's that would suit the Leigh coaches methods!

They were talking this morning about the real prospect of it going to Newcastle, Darwin or Wollongong. Fox seemed to think Vlandys was looking to give it to a heartland and the fact it would be in Queensland or NSW would be overlooked given the extraordinary nature of events that led to it. 

2 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Should I be bothered?   Shouldn't this be on the International forum?

Do Aussie internet forums agonise over where we play our Cup Semi Finals?

Isn’t this a general forum, rather than Uk? Like it or not, SOO is the biggest RL game in the world. 

22 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

They were talking this morning about the real prospect of it going to Newcastle, Darwin or Wollongong. Fox seemed to think Vlandys was looking to give it to a heartland and the fact it would be in Queensland or NSW would be overlooked given the extraordinary nature of events that led to it. 

Darwin or Wollongong are surely too small for such an event.

Newcastle will sell out in an absolute heartbeat, and also offer a great atmosphere. But as a Qld fan, I hope that does not happen. 

5 minutes ago, langpark said:

Darwin or Wollongong are surely too small for such an event.

Newcastle will sell out in an absolute heartbeat, and also offer a great atmosphere. But as a Qld fan, I hope that does not happen. 

This topic is also on the Australian RL forum section by the way.

1 minute ago, Mr Frisky said:

This topic is also on the Australian RL forum section by the way.

Ok, but you posted it 5 hours after I posted this one.

I am sure mods will deal with this if I have posted in the wrong place. 

Yep, I was on there to see if anything had been said about this and as it hadn't I posted, then I saw your post - not trying to win who was first just saying- sorry ill try and delete and keep all similar posts to the general forum rather than the Australian one.

Archived