New venue for Origin I

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Would you also rather watch Ashton Bears v Thatto Heath Crusaders A than Australia v New Zealand? 

No. That’s a proper stellar international fixture.

I honestly miss the old 3 test trans-Tasman series which I grew up watching in the late 80’s and early 90’s which produced some absolute classics in Melbourne, Auckland and Brisbane etc.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Queensland v NSW is insular as not only is it a contest between 2 states but it’s the biggest game on the RL planet which harms international RL which should be the pinnacle of the game.

If it wasn’t for origin players like Kalyn ponga would be representing New Zealand.

Fair point. Would you say the same about the champions league and premier league though, ie they’ve become bigger than international football and therefore made it lose importance? I would, I love football but very rarely watch either competition. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Fair point. Would you say the same about the champions league and premier league though, ie they’ve become bigger than international football and therefore made it lose importance? I would, I love football but very rarely watch either competition. 

I’m old skool. I prefer the FA cup, champions league for the league winners and international football over everything else.

Too much money in football has killed it for me. Talks of holding the World Cup every 2 years instead of 4 will be the final straw for me along with Sunderland’s latest bottle-job 😔

8 minutes ago, langpark said:

Let it go mate.

It has been here for two days now, so clearly, the admins do not see a problem with it. 

Regardless of that, the correct place for discussions such as this is the Australian Forums. That will help to ensure that the posters who engage with the thread will have gone there looking for a discussion into something they are interested in.

I, for one, am not interested in discussing the NRL in this forum. If I want to look at those threads I will go to the right place.

5 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

I’m old skool. I prefer the FA cup, champions league for the league winners and international football over everything else.

Too much money in football has killed it for me. Talks of holding the World Cup every 2 years instead of 4 will be the final straw for me along with Sunderland’s latest bottle-job 😔

Agreed, it’s the money in football that’s turned me off and made me get right back into RL, which tbh I’m pleased about because as a passive fan from around 2000-2015 I missed out on a lot. 

5 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Regardless of that, the correct place for discussions such as this is the Australian Forums. That will help to ensure that the posters who engage with the thread will have gone there looking for a discussion into something they are interested in.

I, for one, am not interested in discussing the NRL in this forum. If I want to look at those threads I will go to the right place.

I really didn’t think that was an English only RL forum, thanks for clearing it up. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Agreed, it’s the money in football that’s turned me off and made me get right back into RL, which tbh I’m pleased about because as a passive fan from around 2000-2015 I missed out on a lot. 

Interesting, that’s around the time I drifted away from RL after the shambolic 2000 World Cup.

Even now I only follow expansion teams like the hunters and silktails etc or grassroots RL stories in the U.K. or Europe.

So, for example, on Sat 5th June my plan is to watch Storm V Titans in the morning, then walking down to watch Droitwich Worcester Jaguars' first home game in the West of England League , then, (so long as I can make it past the bar in the cricket club which is on the route home) get back to watch the Challenge Cup 2nd semi. Hopefully be able to squeeze some French Elite in off of t'Youtube at some point too. I will also be watching the first SoO from Townsville (which I sort of called 🙂 ) on Wednesday of that week whist "working from home".

All of those individually could be judged as insular competitions I think. But I have no problem with watching any or all of them.... well apart from the fact that my family will probably have left me and I won't have realised.

1 hour ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Queensland v NSW is insular as not only is it a contest between 2 states but it’s the biggest game on the RL planet which harms international RL which should be the pinnacle of the game.

If it wasn’t for origin players like Kalyn ponga would be representing New Zealand.

Why should Ponga play for NZ?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

17 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

So, for example, on Sat 5th June my plan is to watch Storm V Titans in the morning, then walking down to watch Droitwich Worcester Jaguars' first home game in the West of England League , then, (so long as I can make it past the bar in the cricket club which is on the route home) get back to watch the Challenge Cup 2nd semi. Hopefully be able to squeeze some French Elite in off of t'Youtube at some point too. I will also be watching the first SoO from Townsville (which I sort of called 🙂 ) on Wednesday of that week whist "working from home".

All of those individually could be judged as insular competitions I think. But I have no problem with watching any or all of them.... well apart from the fact that my family will probably have left me and I won't have realised.

Sounds like the perfect day, if you also manage to have a skinful and fit a tug in (on the assumption that your wife won’t be speaking to you). 

Just now, Allora said:

Why should Ponga play for NZ?

He’s mam&dad are kiwis. His dad is Maori I believe. He’s got Maori tattoos. He’s played for the Maori’s. He’s also stated a dream to pull on the Allblacks jersey.

why wouldn’t he not represent NZ?

10 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

What a great way to finish of the day with a good old “tug of war” contest.

Sorry, I think the Droitwich Spa village fete is the following weekend. I think Eddie must have his dates confused.

2 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

What Rugby League do you prefer, Jim?

I like all RL, and have done for 50 years. I was getting videos of Australian matches back in the early 80's from Micron Video just to watch my favourite teams.

However, I'm just getting a bit fed up of the usual suspects posting all kinds of on this forum about Australian RL.

1 hour ago, Jim Prendle said:

However, I'm just getting a bit fed up of the usual suspects posting all kinds of on this forum about Australian RL.

Oh dear, are you still carrying on about that?  As for "usual suspects" comment, find me an example of where I have done that, prior to this topic!  I am usually commenting only on international RL topics.

You should apply for the mod position.  That way you can make sure nothing horrible like this ever happens again!

9 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

He’s mam&dad are kiwis. His dad is Maori I believe. He’s got Maori tattoos. He’s played for the Maori’s. He’s also stated a dream to pull on the Allblacks jersey.

why wouldn’t he not represent NZ?

That may well be so but he was born in Australia has lived nearly all of his life in Australia has played SOO.

He has as much reason to nominate for Oz as he has for the Kiwis.

I don’t think he does himself any favours publicly saying he would like to play for the All Blacks, but hey that is up to him.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 hour ago, Jim Prendle said:

I like all RL, and have done for 50 years. I was getting videos of Australian matches back in the early 80's from Micron Video just to watch my favourite teams.

Thanks Jim.

I can sense your frustration.

33 minutes ago, Allora said:

That may well be so but he was born in Australia has lived nearly all of his life in Australia has played SOO.

He has as much reason to nominate for Oz as he has for the Kiwis.

I don’t think he does himself any favours publicly saying he would like to play for the All Blacks, but hey that is up to him.

Why would he say that he would like to play for the All Blacks?

Having spent many years in Australia, Origin is no doubt seen as the pinnacle over there. A look at the attendances of it verses the international games in Australia tells you all you need to know. Australia is very insular in my opinion when it comes to rugby league despite pundits/presenters like Matty john’s talking up the need for a strong international game, I fear the attitude in Australia is a long way from changing. Nrl and origin will always be the main concern. Perhaps we need to just accept that and play our own cards accordingly.

15 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

When people start criticising one of RL’s greatest spectacles for similar reasons as they criticise RU... the sport is in trouble.

I would say RLI and the respective nations are doing international RL a greater disservice than Origin is.

It’s a shame Newcastle isn’t being mentioned more in these discussions. It’s the largest stadium in regional Australia apart from Kardinia Park. It would sell out swiftly and almost certainly will return more short notice corporate sales than Townsville.

It is hard to consider any area in Australia more RL heartland than Newcastle.

Archived