New venue for Origin I

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

It’s a shame Newcastle isn’t being mentioned more in these discussions. It’s the largest stadium in regional Australia apart from Kardinia Park. It would sell out swiftly and almost certainly will return more short notice corporate sales than Townsville.

It is hard to consider any area in Australia more RL heartland than Newcastle.

I am seeing Newcastle being mentioned a lot in various articles about this. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, langpark said:

Oh dear, are you still carrying on about that?  As for "usual suspects" comment, find me an example of where I have done that, prior to this topic!  I am usually commenting only on international RL topics.

You should apply for the mod position.  That way you can make sure nothing horrible like this ever happens again!

Maybe I will.

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

It’s a shame Newcastle isn’t being mentioned more in these discussions. It’s the largest stadium in regional Australia apart from Kardinia Park. It would sell out swiftly and almost certainly will return more short notice corporate sales than Townsville.

It is hard to consider any area in Australia more RL heartland than Newcastle.

Townsville has just as many mad keen fans as Newcastle.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

7 hours ago, John C H said:

Having spent many years in Australia, Origin is no doubt seen as the pinnacle over there. A look at the attendances of it verses the international games in Australia tells you all you need to know. Australia is very insular in my opinion when it comes to rugby league despite pundits/presenters like Matty john’s talking up the need for a strong international game, I fear the attitude in Australia is a long way from changing. Nrl and origin will always be the main concern. Perhaps we need to just accept that and play our own cards accordingly.

I get frustrated when Australians hold Origin as the highest level of Rugby League.  But in all honesty, we can't blame them.  With the exception of the Kiwis occasionally coming to the fore, the Kangaroos have been so dominant that the Aussies were craving that representative contest that Origin offered.  In the 80's & 90's, the reward for a strong performance in Origin was a Kangaroo jersey but now the Origin spot is the valued one.

As I say, we can't really blame them.  But it does have its drawbacks.  The idea that Australia can 'export' Origin to other markets is flawed.  Ultimately, the wider sporting world doesn't really care enough about the rivalry between two Australian states.  It is international sport that will drive wider awareness and in this sense the Australians missed a trick by turning away from the value of the Kangaroos.  What they should have been doing is playing more tests, winning more tests and building the Kangaroo brand as the best rugby team on the planet.  Unfortunately, ask people anywhere in the world that question now and 99% will say the All Blacks.  The Kangaroos should be the answer.

Things are may change.  The emergence of Tonga and potentially Samoa and Fiji makes the international elite much wider and the World Cup in the autumn has the potential to be absolutely huge.  Everything about it has been done right so far.

I don't want a weaker Origin.  It doesn't do the sport any favours to weaken any part of it.  I want a stronger international scene to rise above it again and have Origin and then internationals as the elite.  

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I have said this for a very long time @Dunbar, the Kangaroos is a brand and asset that is massively under utilised that I would suggest in the early 80s were just as popular in England as the All Blacks were.

I am absolutely certain of this. Huge opportunities wasted to show the game to the world. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

More likely option is Perth from the chatter on here  - 10,000 all seated ground i belive - used to big games as well when Celtic and Rangers visit.

St Johnstone’s ground? 

2 hours ago, Farmduck said:

0688b007a4b49f1dc1c918aa274dc130?impolic

I'd love to watch a game there. I visited the stadium at night to pray in front of the Jonathan Thurston statue after a feed of Guzman Y Gomez.

I don't ever want to go to Townsville again though.

new rise.jpg

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

So the so called “biggest” game in RL goes to a tropical LSV.

As the article says:

"With the support of the Queensland Government, we will fortunately be in a position where we will be able to recover some of the financial hit that we've taken, particularly around cancelling the game in Melbourne on such short notice," he said.

So, who cares if it now in a smaller stadium if the overall financial hit is minimal?

And why do you say "so-called" biggest game? Are you in denial about how big origin in Australia actually is?

I'm sure if they had more time to sell tickets than just over a week, they'd have considered something more ambitious, however 25K in a brand new ground built for RL plus $8m from the Queensland Government does make it a pretty sensible move.

How much does Wigan Council offer the RFL to take England matches to LSV?

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

4 hours ago, Pulga said:

I'd love to watch a game there. I visited the stadium at night to pray in front of the Jonathan Thurston statue after a feed of Guzman Y Gomez.

I don't ever want to go to Townsville again though.

You have never stayed on the Strand or caught the Ferry to Maggie Island I take it.

On 29/05/2021 at 08:05, Dunbar said:

I get frustrated when Australians hold Origin as the highest level of Rugby League.  But in all honesty, we can't blame them.  With the exception of the Kiwis occasionally coming to the fore, the Kangaroos have been so dominant that the Aussies were craving that representative contest that Origin offered.  In the 80's & 90's, the reward for a strong performance in Origin was a Kangaroo jersey but now the Origin spot is the valued one.

As I say, we can't really blame them.  But it does have its drawbacks.  The idea that Australia can 'export' Origin to other markets is flawed.  Ultimately, the wider sporting world doesn't really care enough about the rivalry between two Australian states.  It is international sport that will drive wider awareness and in this sense the Australians missed a trick by turning away from the value of the Kangaroos.  What they should have been doing is playing more tests, winning more tests and building the Kangaroo brand as the best rugby team on the planet.  Unfortunately, ask people anywhere in the world that question now and 99% will say the All Blacks.  The Kangaroos should be the answer.

Things are may change.  The emergence of Tonga and potentially Samoa and Fiji makes the international elite much wider and the World Cup in the autumn has the potential to be absolutely huge.  Everything about it has been done right so far.

I don't want a weaker Origin.  It doesn't do the sport any favours to weaken any part of it.  I want a stronger international scene to rise above it again and have Origin and then internationals as the elite.  

The Oceania Cup has the potential to reach the heights of Origin, the 2019 competition was brilliant with Tonga beating Australia, it’s a real shame for International Rugby League that Covid forced the 2020 tournament to be cancelled.

9 hours ago, Allora said:

You have never stayed on the Strand or caught the Ferry to Maggie Island I take it.

I spent the whole next day on Magnetic Island. Would never go back. Beaches are average. Stingers when it's warm. Inflated island prices. It didn't rate as a highlight of our trip.

new rise.jpg

8 hours ago, Pulga said:

I spent the whole next day on Magnetic Island. Would never go back. Beaches are average. Stingers when it's warm. Inflated island prices. It didn't rate as a highlight of our trip.

You do know that Stingers are prevalent in all of Queensland’s Tropical areas in Summer.

That is why they have Stinger enclosures, I would be more worried about Tiger Sharks and Crocs.

Arcadia beach is great beach for an Island like Maggie.

What were you expecting Isle of Pines?

The prices reflect the cost of Transport and limited turnover, It is no different at Hamilton Island or any other captive audience resort, how much is a box of Beer at Fraser or Moreton Islands compared to your local Bottle shop.

I thought it was a great day out but I did some homework and had a good idea what we were visiting.

4 minutes ago, Allora said:

You do know that Stingers are prevalent in all of Queensland’s Tropical areas in Summer.

That is why they have Stinger enclosures, I would be more worried about Tiger Sharks and Crocs.

Arcadia beach is great beach for an Island like Maggie.

What were you expecting Isle of Pines?

The prices reflect the cost of Transport and limited turnover, It is no different at Hamilton Island or any other captive audience resort, how much is a box of Beer at Fraser or Moreton Islands compared to your local Bottle shop.

I thought it was a great day out but I did some homework and had a good idea what we were visiting.

I did basically the whole of Queensland in November last year. I live 30 minutes from the NSW border and finished up at Port Douglas. 

Port Douglas was really nice, as was Yeppoon but Airlie Beach had to be the best spot. Really beautiful. 

Maybe I set my expectations too high but Magnetic Island was a let down. The Jonathan Thurston statue was the highlight for me in the Townsville region.

new rise.jpg

4 hours ago, Pulga said:

I did basically the whole of Queensland in November last year. I live 30 minutes from the NSW border and finished up at Port Douglas. 

Port Douglas was really nice, as was Yeppoon but Airlie Beach had to be the best spot. Really beautiful. 

Maybe I set my expectations too high but Magnetic Island was a let down. The Jonathan Thurston statue was the highlight for me in the Townsville region.

I know we have spoken before, are you at Stanthorpe?

29 minutes ago, Allora said:

I know we have spoken before, are you at Stanthorpe?

Yes mate.

Wouldn't mind being up north at the moment 😂

new rise.jpg

Townsville’s SOO game sold out the 25,000 tickets in 30 minutes.

Must be some demand to see the game up there.

7 minutes ago, Allora said:

Townsville’s SOO game sold out the 25,000 tickets in 30 minutes.

Must be some demand to see the game up there.

My wife was on the internet yesterday, she laughed and said to me the most searched item was accommodation in Townsville, I read in the paper today that the nearest places available now were nearly an hours drive away.

BTW they`ve increased the capacity to 27 500, there was talk they might get it up to 30 000, I`m not sure how likely that last figure is.

Archived