New venue for Origin I

On 01/06/2021 at 17:16, Pulga said:

I did basically the whole of Queensland in November last year. I live 30 minutes from the NSW border and finished up at Port Douglas. 

Port Douglas was really nice, as was Yeppoon but Airlie Beach had to be the best spot. Really beautiful. 

Maybe I set my expectations too high but Magnetic Island was a let down. The Jonathan Thurston statue was the highlight for me in the Townsville region.

I’d rate Magnetic over Yeppoon & Airlie but personal preference and all that. I always loved the Townsville region for a getaway.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 31/05/2021 at 07:26, Farmduck said:

0688b007a4b49f1dc1c918aa274dc130?impolic

That will look terrific when it's finished. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

That will look terrific when it's finished. 

Seeing your comment jogged something in my memory, I think the design of the exterior cladding and perhaps even the shape of the curve of the roof is meant to represent the skin and shape of a crocodile.

Lying next to the river is certainly appropriate.

I went to the famous Daintree River rainforest once, you cross the river to get there by car ferry, there wasn`t a croc in sight, I said to the Ferry pilot " you can`t tell me I couldn`t jump in there have a quick swim and get out" (it was hot), he said to me " go on then, see what happens", the tone of his voice made me decide against it.

On 02/06/2021 at 09:11, jim_57 said:

I’d rate Magnetic over Yeppoon & Airlie but personal preference and all that. I always loved the Townsville region for a getaway.

16 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I went to the famous Daintree River rainforest once, you cross the river to get there by car ferry, there wasn`t a croc in sight, I said to the Ferry pilot " you can`t tell me I couldn`t jump in there have a quick swim and get out" (it was hot), he said to me " go on then, see what happens", the tone of his voice made me decide against it.

There was a 7 News item posted on YouTube yesterday about a 4m long croc floating in the sea off Farnborough beach near Yeppoon.

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Seeing your comment jogged something in my memory, I think the design of the exterior cladding and perhaps even the shape of the curve of the roof is meant to represent the skin and shape of a crocodile.

Lying next to the river is certainly appropriate.

I also didn't see any crocs at all on my trip up there. Nor a cassowary. Pretty disappointed.

new rise.jpg

4 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I also didn't see any crocs at all on my trip up there. Nor a cassowary. Pretty disappointed.

I did see something I was pretty sure were croc footprints on a deserted beach up there though, that was a bit unnerving. A couple of other things that stick in the memory, plants I had been struggling to grow as indoor plants  in Sydney for years, grow on the side of the road up there, thrive in fact, and on my trip I went up the coast road on the trip north and in-land on the way back south, you see a whole different range of road-kill on the two journeys.🥴

• 2 weeks later...

A story yesterday on ABC about the classification of the "River Boss" giant croc. Apparently these are extinct but roamed the waterways of SEQ millions of years ago and were the indigenous Australian crocs. A museum bloke claimed the species of croc currently menacing the unsuspecting in Straya originates in Africa. 

I`ve always regarded crocs as comical. I think it`s because their teeth remind me of Muttley in Wacky Races. They`re probably not a barrel of laughs if you get too close.

Archived