Crisps. Flavours, Memories and the best.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember when Smiths Crisps were more or less the only option.  They came in a greaseproof bag.  In the bag as well as crisps was a little blue greaseproof screw of salt.  Sometimes there  was more than one of these screws and if you weren't paying attention you could bite into pure salt. 

There was a company near where I lived called Berkley Foods and they produced a snack called Nib-its.  They were savoury but I'm not sure what they were made of.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

On 30/06/2021 at 13:46, ivans82 said:

Still are , last thing people  who have left the area do when visiting relatives , is make a quick trip to the Cash and Carry and buy a box load to take home ........any Pub in West Cumbria  which doesn`t sell CheeseXL is very much frowned on .

Couldn't beat a bag of XL washed down with a bottle of Dent's yellow lemonade when we were kids. Or sometimes a frozen Keeko !

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

I remember when Smiths Crisps were more or less the only option.  They came in a greaseproof bag.  In the bag as well as crisps was a little blue greaseproof screw of salt.  Sometimes there  was more than one of these screws and if you weren't paying attention you could bite into pure salt. 

There was a company near where I lived called Berkley Foods and they produced a snack called Nib-its.  They were savoury but I'm not sure what they were made of.

These?

9a28c68a3b3c20526a77e6358eb1554d--retro-

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Nibb-it name seems to still be around, albeit with different companies. They all seem to be similar things, but made by Smiths, Cheetos and even a Hawaiian company. It looks like manufacturing was licensed to various companies in different territories by the Nibb-It Corporation: https://beachpackagingdesign.com/boxvox/the-nibb-its-see-thru-bag 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Preferred Golden Wonder, Ready Salted, I developed a taste for Smiths Salt 'n' Vinegar matchsticks, then went off crisps altogether, when I played for the glorious Irlam Hornets, we always stopped for a pint at the White Horse on the way home after training, and the 3 of us bought two bags of Scampi Fries, my local shop sells them, and my 12 year old daughter loves them, when she visits, she wants a bag. Tried her with the Bacon Fries, she hates.

Personally I like Quavers, these days. When I was working in Theatres, there was nothing better at a lunch time than a plain Ham Sarnie, then putting ANY flavour of crisps on as flavour, just to see the look on the face of the foreign nurses & Doctors.

47 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

Does anyone remember Clock Face crisps? They were a staple of my primary school's tuck shop.

Made in St Helens.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived