Na-quam, Nu-guam-a or N-gama?

• daz39 changed the title to Na-quam, Nu-guam-a or N-gama?

I think they should take it in turns every week to use a chosen commentators pronunciation of it.

It will be like watching rainbow as kids and guessing which window they were going to look through.

The commentators come up with some weird and wonderful pronunciations. The ones that grate the most for me are when they pronounce Lefao Lefayo and Johnstone Johnson. And there are some commentators who never pronounce Gigot the same way twice in a row. Anyway, if you're reading commentators, Lefao is two syllables (Le-fao) and Johnstone's got a T in it.

51 minutes ago, Stotty said:

The commentators come up with some weird and wonderful pronunciations. The ones that grate the most for me are when they pronounce Lefao Lefayo and Johnstone Johnson. And there are some commentators who never pronounce Gigot the same way twice in a row. Anyway, if you're reading commentators, Lefao is two syllables (Le-fao) and Johnstone's got a T in it.

They like A koala some reason 

1 hour ago, Stotty said:

So how do you pronounce the second syllable ''fao''?

You didn't say.

Give us another word that would rhyme with the correct pronunciation?

Fay? Fee? Phi? Faux? Fuh? Foo? For?......

Or none, of the above?  If so, what?

10 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

So how do you pronounce the second syllable ''fao''?

You didn't say.

Give us another word that would rhyme with the correct pronunciation?

Fay? Fee? Phi? Faux? Fuh? Foo? For?......

Or none, of the above?  If so, what?

It's like the ao in Sao, Mao, Bilbao, and Carabao.

Here he is saying his own name on Rugby AM.

Joe Arundel's name is exactly the same as the town = Arun-dl (not A-runn-dl).

The Stade Gilbert Brutus is a hard G = as in Gilbert O'Sullivan (or even Gilbert & Sullivan).

Mata'utia = Mata-u-tia (not Mat-ow-tia).

Maybe it should be a requirement on SL teams, whether requested by Sky Sports or not, to send an audio tape of their numbered squad members each saying their own name - first (or Christian) names and surnames.

The commentary team should then listen to them and memorise them; a chore, yes, but it's part of their job to get names right.

It is always worth keeping in mind that there are names that we may not realise we are all inclined to be mispronouncing; Les Dracs' captain, Ben Garcia, springs to mind.  I would never have realised it isn't 'Gar-cee-uh' if I hadn't heard French commentators say 'Gar-syuh', i.e. only two syllables with emphasis on the first.

Jeel-bear has an inflection notation on the letter G.

Mainly though, it's because I got told off by a Perpignan taxi driver, for asking for the Jeel-bear Brutus!

*Although I have always harboured a suspicion the the taxi driver was a 15-code man, deliberately misleading me.

58 minutes ago, dboy said:

Jeel-bear has an inflection notation on the letter G.

Mainly though, it's because I got told off by a Perpignan taxi driver, for asking for the Jeel-bear Brutus!

*Although I have always harboured a suspicion the the taxi driver was a 15-code man, deliberately misleading me.

Out of interest, dboy, how did your taxi driver in Perpignan pronounce 'Brutus'?  As in a Shakespearian  ' Et tu, Brutus' way, or with the second syllable pronounced to rhyme with the English 'too'?

2 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Out of interest, dboy, how did your taxi driver in Perpignan pronounce 'Brutus'?  As in a Shakespearian  ' Et to, Brutus' way, or with the second syllable pronounced to rhyme with the English 'too'?

I have no idea how he pronounced Brutus - "I was very, very drunk."

2 hours ago, meast said:

Quality player inti though?

One of the best in 'this Saints side'.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 hours ago, johnh1 said:

When Jiffy can’t even pronounce ‘Salford’ correctly, there really isn’t much hope.

When nobody in RL can pronounce Stanley Gene's surname* correctly, despite it only having four letters, we're all toast.

*Gennae, not Jeen.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

When nobody in RL can pronounce Stanley Gene's surname* correctly, despite it only having four letters, we're all toast.

*Gennae, not Jeen.

Thought it was more Genni.

Is Dom Man-freddy on the wing for Wigan tonight?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

51 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

That is how it's pronounced , not manfreeeeedi 

Will be news to Italians that it is either.

Archived