Na-quam, Nu-guam-a or N-gama?

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

Great thread! One more thing to have a go at, along with Refs, commentators, video refs, media coverage, stupid rules, the RFL...... 👍

There's no 'go', i am generally interested if any of those pronunciations are correct and if so which one.

22 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Out of interest, dboy, how did your taxi driver in Perpignan pronounce 'Brutus'?  As in a Shakespearian  ' Et tu, Brutus' way, or with the second syllable pronounced to rhyme with the English 'too'?

Hate to point it out, but Shakespeare wrote "Et tu Brute" cleverly using the vocative.

31 minutes ago, thunder pete said:

Hate to point it out, but Shakespeare wrote "Et tu Brute" cleverly using the vocative.

And Latin was my best 'O' level!  How could I make such a schoolboy error!

On this name pronunciation theme, has anyone heard the Aussie commentary pronounce the name of the Parra hooker Reed Mahoney, they say Mar-nee, I know a family of Irish decent with the same name and it is Mah-o-nee, which is correct?

Funnily enough I never heard the Aussie commentary in talking about James Maloney in pronouncing it Mal-nee, it was always Mal-o-nee.

Archived