Participation Numbers

Good news story inbound 

North East Rugby League Registration Update  

Participation numbers up 35% on 2020 and up 20% on 2019 

The % is based on a clubs current number of registered players compared to the number registered in 2020.

1 - Wallsend Centurions - 294% ⬆️ 

2 - Whitley Bay Barbarians - 192% ⬆️ 

3 - Catterick Crusaders - 178% ⬆️ 

4 - Jarrow Vikings - 175% ⬆️ 

5 - Durham Tigers - 129% ⬆️ 

6 - Wallsend Eagles - 124% ⬆️ 

7 - Hartlepool Hurricanes - 115% ⬆️ 

8 - Gateshead Storm - 107% ⬆️ 

9 - Cramlington Rockets - 106% ⬆️ 

10 - Durham Demons - 106% ⬆️ 

11 - Yarm Wolves - 104% ⬆️ 

12 - Newcastle Magpies - 85%

13 - Alnwick Bears - 54%

North East Total - 135% ⬆️ 

2020 - 35% ⬆️ 

2019 - 20% ⬆️ 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

Good news story inbound 

The % is based on a clubs current number of registered players compared to the number registered in 2020.

13 - Alnwick Bears - 54%

2020 - 35% ⬆️ 

2019 - 20% ⬆️ 

This is terrific news I am am definitely not looking to undermine it but I would like to understand the conclusions a little more.

Was the 2020 20% up on 2019 and then 2021 35% up on 2020?  If 2021 is 35% up on 2020 but only 20% up on 2019 then it means 2020 went down on 2019.

Where does the 135% increase come from if the overall number is 35%?  Is the 135% saying the number is 135% of prior year rather than 135% growth.  If so, the use of percentages are being a little mixed up. 

But it is all good news, I am genuinely not trying to be negative. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

Good news story inbound 

13 - Alnwick Bears - 54%

2020 - 35% ⬆️ 

2019 - 20% ⬆️ 

Any reason why there are 2 clubs in Wallsend?

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Any reason why there are 2 clubs in Wallsend?

Wallsend eagles is the open age team with the centurions being solely a junior set up. 

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

This is terrific news I am am definitely not looking to undermine it but I would like to understand the conclusions a little more.

Was the 2020 20% up on 2019 and then 2021 35% up on 2020?  If 2021 is 35% up on 2020 but only 20% up on 2019 then it means 2020 went down on 2019.

Where does the 135% increase come from if the overall number is 35%?  Is the 135% saying the number is 135% of prior year rather than 135% growth.  If so, the use of percentages are being a little mixed up. 

But it is all good news, I am genuinely not trying to be negative. 

Well done NE rugby league! I love their work! However, I wish they would be a bit less cryptic with their figures. I think a couple of years ago, they actually did publish the raw figures. I think it was something like 1500 registered players in total, but am not certain.

Regarding the part in bold, I think you have misinterpreted. Let's say there were 100 players in 2020, then that would mean:

2019: 113 players 

2020: 100 players

2021: 135 players 

So, all it tells us is that there was a bit of a drop in 2020, which, given the pandemic, was to be expected (in fact I expected an even sharper drop)...

My guess is, they wanted to avoid any talk of a drop in numbers, so they presented the figures the way in which they did. 

3 minutes ago, langpark said:

Well done NE rugby league! I love their work! However, I wish they would be a bit less cryptic with their figures. I think a couple of years ago, they actually did publish the raw figures. I think it was something like 1500 registered players in total, but am not certain.

Regarding the part in bold, I think you have misinterpreted. Let's say there were 100 players in 2020, then that would mean:

2019: 113 players 

2020: 100 players

2021: 135 players 

So, all it tells us is that there was a bit of a drop in 2020, which, given the pandemic, was to be expected (in fact I expected an even sharper drop)...

My guess is, they wanted to avoid any talk of a drop in numbers, so they presented the figures the way in which they did. 

Not being picky but I didn't misinterpret as I was asking which of the two possible interpretations it was.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Fantastic stuff 👏👏

What’s happened to the Peterlee pumas? County Durham is an area that has big potential for RL.

I know the open age team lost some good players so the results started going against them and think most the players lost interest sadly. Always liked playing against them at junior level and open age even if my team was always on the end of a big score line so sad they aren’t about as much.

hopefully they can come back stronger like you say big potential in County Durham for sure.

17 minutes ago, Reggie9 said:

I know the open age team lost some good players so the results started going against them and think most the players lost interest sadly. Always liked playing against them at junior level and open age even if my team was always on the end of a big score line so sad they aren’t about as much.

hopefully they can come back stronger like you say big potential in County Durham for sure.

Lots of decent sized towns/market towns within a relatively short distance. Good for junior sides playing competition.

Yes there was a drop in 2020 due to the season not being played but it wasn’t a big drop

Here are the registration numbers, this doesn’t include woman and girls numbers 

2019 - 1124

2020 - 997

2021 - 1351

Now considering it’s only May and we will be registering new players all the way through to October that 1351 will continue to rise.

There are goals to create more new clubs but our main focus is now to build up our current clubs and make them as strong as possible. 

from an academy pathway point of view this growth is really having a benefit because a few year ago there would only be around 70/80 U15/16’s to pick from each year but now that’s up to 120/130 players so the pool is bigger 

lots of work to do but it’s going in the right direction 

10 minutes ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

Yes there was a drop in 2020 due to the season not being played but it wasn’t a big drop

Here are the registration numbers, this doesn’t include woman and girls numbers 

2019 - 1124

2020 - 997

2021 - 1351

Now considering it’s only May and we will be registering new players all the way through to October that 1351 will continue to rise.

There are goals to create more new clubs but our main focus is now to build up our current clubs and make them as strong as possible. 

from an academy pathway point of view this growth is really having a benefit because a few year ago there would only be around 70/80 U15/16’s to pick from each year but now that’s up to 120/130 players so the pool is bigger 

lots of work to do but it’s going in the right direction 

If the junior game continues to grow in the NE I can see Newcastle having one of the strongest academies

3 hours ago, langpark said:

I have always been a big advocate of bottom-up development. To me, Newcastle is living proof that it works. 

It does require patience though, something not everyone has.

It’s very hard to judge whether this is purely bottom up development and what effect Gateshead Thunder had on it. Obviously Gateshead had little influence on the kids involved but maybe the parents or the people setting up these clubs. 

47 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

It’s very hard to judge whether this is purely bottom up development and what effect Gateshead Thunder had on it. Obviously Gateshead had little influence on the kids involved but maybe the parents or the people setting up these clubs. 

Good point I meant was, whenever the Bottom-up vs Top-down debate comes up, I am in the bottom-up camp.

Newcastle is great in that now has a thriving grassroots scene as well as a semi-pro team (and hopefully not too long until it is a Super League team).

The stronger the grassroots game is in the north-east, then the more self-sufficient and successful the Thunder will be! 

5 hours ago, bobbruce said:

I would argue, that it's nothing to do with Gateshead Thunders existence or very very very little.

By arguing that, you are completely disregarding (and holding in contempt) the literally countless efforts made by the development team up there.

It goes all the way down from the strategists at the top through to the development officers and the hundreds and hundreds of volunteers who have been building this for years, just for the love of the game.

Your attitude/belief is what's doomed the game to widespread failure in every new area across the country. The idea, that all you have to do, is put a shiny new team, (full of mercenaries) in an area and everything else will appear overnight, by magic has failed, every time. If that argument, had any credence why is the amateur game in St Helens stagnating?

How many failures do we need before the penny drops?

Your way, is just not enough.

What worries me, is that the group of people who believe that nonsense seem (still) to be in a majority.  

22 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I would argue, that it's nothing to do with Gateshead Thunders existence or very very very little.

What worries me, is that the group of people who believe that nonsense seem (still) to be in a majority.  

Fervently agree with all the bottom-up evangelism, although I think you`re rather hard on Bobbruce whose post I read as more tentative and questioning than assertive.

The fact that pro ventures have collapsed so often in areas with little grass roots activity proves that top-down does not work for RL. But it`s not inconceivable that in the aftermath some individuals with appetites whetted might have played a part in building the game up from the bottom.

Archived