Jump to content

Best crop of French youngsters I've seen


Recommended Posts


He signed for TO months ago and then picked up an injury before playing there. He was though with the TO group in their weekend training camp up in the mountains before the Fev game. Hopfully he will get some games in before the seasons end.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Corentin Rey who was on my list has signed for Catalan Dragons from Avignon. 

That's another player from Avignon off the conveyor belt 

I'm sure he'll enjoy playing Reserve Grade rugby for most of his career as he's kept out of the Catalans side by a Brit or an Antipodean 😉

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

St.Helens - The Home of Rugby Champions

Saints Men's team - Triple Champions & Double Winners ; Saints Women's team - Treble Winners ; Thatto Heath - National Conference Champions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

I'm sure he'll enjoy playing Reserve Grade rugby for most of his career as he's kept out of the Catalans side by a Brit or an Antipodean 😉

I think you will find that there will be more and more French players over the next few years in SL ST:)

My prediction stands in that in 5/10 years the Dragons who have made a success of it with the burden of being in one of the poorest areas in France and Toulouse will be powerhouses in Rugby League.

There are only 6 teams currently in SL that I can see being sustainable and Saints will certainly benefit long term by being in a stronger league.

 

Paul

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I think you will find that there will be more and more French players over the next few years in SL ST:)

 

We keep hearing this but were 15 years in with Catalans now and on Saturday they had a whopping 4 French players in the starting 13 and just 5 in total in the 17.

  • Confused 1

St.Helens - The Home of Rugby Champions

Saints Men's team - Triple Champions & Double Winners ; Saints Women's team - Treble Winners ; Thatto Heath - National Conference Champions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Corentin Rey who was on my list has signed for Catalan Dragons from Avignon. 

That's another player from Avignon off the conveyor belt 

Is it time for Avignon to step up to the Championship?

They seem to have the pathways in place and could probably generate crowds and commercial income

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

I'm sure he'll enjoy playing Reserve Grade rugby for most of his career as he's kept out of the Catalans side by a Brit or an Antipodean 😉

He'll be playing at the same level as he was with Avignon so it won't make that much of a difference to him, except he'll gat pro coaching and be able to train with and against the super League team, as they are the opposition during the week for the dragons. He can only get better doing that, 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 appearances this season in Super League so far from the 6 apprentices viz. Le Cam (3), Cozza (2), Joe Chan (6), Franco (2), Rouge (1) and Laguerre (7). Ground breaking here anyway.

Edited by audois
  • Like 7

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, audois said:

21 appearances this season in Super League so far from the 6 apprentices viz. Le Cam, Cozza, Joe Chan, Franco, Rouge and Laguerre. Ground breaking here anyway.

A real positive for the club,let’s hope they kick on & become first team regulars.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think this is why getting Toulouse into Super League is so important for me. Doubling the pathways and opportunites for the increasing amounts of quality French youngsters can only be good for the game. It has huge benefits for the game in France, for the international side and also Super League as a larger player pool increases quality.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Add on Mourgue who turned out for the reserves this past season.

His debut with Dragons was 2019 but really blossomed this year with 19 appearances so far.

Edited by audois
  • Like 1

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dezaria was with the first academy intake along with the likes of Yaha and De Costa. He played 4 SL games for the Dragons back in 2016 before going off to Leigh and TO in his travels. He's a great example of a bloke maturing later. 

 

 

241415194_4553652487986323_4427100264826364825_n.jpg

Edited by audois
  • Like 2

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 of the 21 man squad are french this week. Youngsters Florian Vailhen, Tiaki Chan and Robin Brochon in the squad for the first time this season.

Currently sitting at 17 french players having turned out for the first team so far this year.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/09/2021 at 09:54, Saint Toppy said:

We keep hearing this but were 15 years in with Catalans now and on Saturday they had a whopping 4 French players in the starting 13 and just 5 in total in the 17.

So you have watched 1 Cats game this season..... dont let facts get in the way of your negativity lad.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

So you have watched 1 Cats game this season..... dont let facts get in the way of your negativity lad.

Your ignoring the real fact which is when they have a fully fit squad to choose from the French lads barely get a look in. French players are and always have been with Catalans, seen a squad fillers, they almost always elect to bring in overseas players as their first choice.

I can understand at the start of their SL existence they had little choice but after 15 years that's still their preferred way of doing things. Which goes against their main argument for being parachuted into SL in the first place and the reason I disagree with having them in SL.

Have they brought through large numbers of French players and strengthened their national team - No

Have they brought in a bumper French TV deal & French sponsors for SL - No

Do they bring large away fans to games - No (quite the opposite its embarrassing having Catalans away games on TV with a completely empty away fans end).

Edited by Saint Toppy
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

St.Helens - The Home of Rugby Champions

Saints Men's team - Triple Champions & Double Winners ; Saints Women's team - Treble Winners ; Thatto Heath - National Conference Champions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

Your ignoring the real fact which is when they have a fully fit squad to choose from the French lads barely get a look in. French players are and always have been with Catalans, seen a squad fillers, they almost always elect to bring in overseas players as their first choice.

I can understand at the start of their SL existence they had little choice but after 15 years that's still their preferred way of doing things. Which goes against their main argument for being parachuted into SL in the first place and the reason I disagree with having them in SL.

Have they brought through large numbers of French players and strengthened their national team - No

Have they brought in a bumper French TV deal & French sponsors for SL - No

Do they bring large away fans to games - No (quite the opposite its embarrassing having Catalans away games on TV with a completely empty away fans end).

Thats the point you bring in quality and the local lads learn and grow.

Look at the number of exciting young players who are now playing alongside Tomkins etc - even in the NRL most teams don't have 17 Aussies they use local talent and add in Kiwis, Islanders and even Brits to get the right balance.

Its taken time but we are now seeing young French players who can hold their own in the best team in SL - that's progress.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Thats the point you bring in quality and the local lads learn and grow.

Look at the number of exciting young players who are now playing alongside Tomkins etc - even in the NRL most teams don't have 17 Aussies they use local talent and add in Kiwis, Islanders and even Brits to get the right balance.

Its taken time but we are now seeing young French players who can hold their own in the best team in SL - that's progress.

They learn, they grow, and when they're ready the club just goes out and buys another overseas player and they're left on the sidelines again. 15 years in and when they have their strongest squad to choose from it still only contains 4-5 French players

St.Helens - The Home of Rugby Champions

Saints Men's team - Triple Champions & Double Winners ; Saints Women's team - Treble Winners ; Thatto Heath - National Conference Champions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

They learn, they grow, and when they're ready the club just goes out and buys another overseas player and they're left on the sidelines again. 15 years in and when they have their strongest squad to choose from it still only contains 4-5 French players

With some of the best young French players ever about to start coming through.

Are you just upset because French teams have won the top 2 leagues??

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

They learn, they grow, and when they're ready the club just goes out and buys another overseas player and they're left on the sidelines again. 15 years in and when they have their strongest squad to choose from it still only contains 4-5 French players

English clubs have been doing the same for years 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

They learn, they grow, and when they're ready the club just goes out and buys another overseas player and they're left on the sidelines again. 15 years in and when they have their strongest squad to choose from it still only contains 4-5 French players

Like many other SL clubs then.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

1 - With some of the best young French players ever about to start coming through.

2 - Are you just upset because French teams have won the top 2 leagues??

1 - Been hearing that for the last 15 years, and even when one does come through they still just buy an overseas player and leave the french lads as back-up players.

2 - They haven't, neither team are champions of their respective leagues

  • Haha 4

St.Helens - The Home of Rugby Champions

Saints Men's team - Triple Champions & Double Winners ; Saints Women's team - Treble Winners ; Thatto Heath - National Conference Champions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...