Happy to finish 12th?

ramsfandan

Do we not want to progress can we not sign a scrum half because I'm sorry to say Finn is done all he does is drop off passes and simple passes he seems scared to take a tackle and his defence is shocking... All opponents tries seem to come down his side.. is Sawyer not interested? his other investment going well I guess and don't think he was there today in London was he at bradford for his second teams glorious homecoming? I don't like how Bradford have just packed up to odsal neither out of blue. Lost income for us but we don't seem to be getting much invested into our team even though we was told we had budget remaining and about 8 players left this season which frees up more salary cap

When you refer to MS's "other investment" I guess that you are regarding the Rams as an investment. In my limited experience when you make an investment you generally hope to get a profitable return. Does owning a Championship RL offer such an opportunity?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

When you refer to MS's "other investment" I guess that you are regarding the Rams as an investment. In my limited experience when you make an investment you generally hope to get a profitable return. Does owning a Championship RL offer such an opportunity?

No not with rams but I think he does see bulls as an investment where he could make profit if they get back to super League... That's why the measly 2k a game to play at ours was easily agreed... They can then spend some of the 28k a game saved in rent on squad improvement then they can challenge like they are. Feel like we have been done over in my opinion

13 hours ago, ramsfandan said:

No not with rams but I think he does see bulls as an investment where he could make profit if they get back to super League... That's why the measly 2k a game to play at ours was easily agreed... They can then spend some of the 28k a game saved in rent on squad improvement then they can challenge like they are. Feel like we have been done over in my opinion

Yes, I understand what you mean and am sure that MS's purchase of Bulls shares was just that. The "investment" in the Rams is anything but though, as I'm sure we all agree.

I don't know any of the details of their rental at our place but do know that we were going to retain all bar takings whilst they had to pay for all other facilities (stewards etc) as the agreed figure was simply rental of the ground for match days. I think that it was anticipated that we would have profited significantly from decent crowds spending money in the ground. Sadly, Covid has put paid to that.

Slightly off tangent I think that quite a few other clubs below SL will have actually benefited from lockdown in ways that we have lost out. If I understand correctly our business is based upon quite a bit of income generation elsewhere, from the training pitches, the Sunday market, room rental, other businesses on-site etc. All of this was lost during lockdown. Other clubs who are simply tenants of other people's grounds would have had virtually no overheads to cover, nor any rentals to pay, and would have placed all of their staff (including directors in some cases) on furlough. They may have actually made a profit out of this. Just gaze around the league and see a couple of clubs who have spent much more money than normal, don't have a relatively wealthy backer and maybe wonder where that money has come from.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I wonder if MS would have taken the decisions he did knowing what we know now. I think not. Hopefully he can extract himself and speculate a little to accumulate on his own team before it is too late...

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Just now, Piggy's mate said:

I wonder if MS would have taken the decisions he did knowing what we know now. I think not. Hopefully he can extract himself and speculate a little to accumulate on his own team before it is too late...

This would apply to all of us, don't you think?

What accumulation would you expect from said speculation PM?

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

A couple more results go the wrong way and there will be a lot of speculation, none of it good

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

4 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

The accumulation will be not even being able to sellout our 635 capacity with the boring rugby we are playing... Bring in a fast half who can take line on give the fans some excitement

41 minutes ago, ramsfandan said:

The accumulation will be not even being able to sellout our 635 capacity with the boring rugby we are playing... Bring in a fast half who can take line on give the fans some excitement

Who would you suggest?

I understand that we have been searching for a new half back for months but, strangely, they don't seem to be that many around.

One thing that does help in signing players is have an income with which to do so. With very little external income until recently and very poor season ticket sales to date means that the magic money tree is in danger of withering and dying.

Are our fans also prepared to "speculate to accumulate"?

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

One thing that does help in signing players is have an income with which to do so. With very little external income until recently and very poor season ticket sales to date means that the magic money tree is in danger of withering and dying.

Are our fans also prepared to "speculate to accumulate"?

Another thing that helps is getting rid of deadwood. We will not win no more than 5 more games this season playing this poor brand of rugby. Have we got rid of 8 players off the books already surely that opens salary cap up?

4 minutes ago, ramsfandan said:

Another thing that helps is getting rid of deadwood. We will not win no more than 5 more games this season playing this poor brand of rugby. Have we got rid of 8 players off the books already surely that opens salary cap up?

As I said before, who do you suggest we sign?

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

As I said before, who do you suggest we sign?

Come on BSJ.  I agree that money (or lack of it) is the main issue but you can hardly ask posters like Ramfansdan to suggest players we might sign.   Thats the coaches / assistant coaches job...

I think signing a player is out of the question, however, a season long loan from a SL club of a fringe/young player is the best we can hope for.

I hope behind the scenes this is what we are working on.

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

3 hours ago, Hugh Jarce said:

I think signing a player is out of the question, however, a season long loan from a SL club of a fringe/young player is the best we can hope for.

I hope behind the scenes this is what we are working on.

York have signed a young half back on loan from Hull. Good half backs tend to be in short supply, so a SL loan might be the best bet, but very difficult for LG. If he drops Finn or Sykes, will they want to keep training? Plus the effect on team spirit. And any loanee can be recalled. 

26 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

York have signed a young half back on loan from Hull. Good half backs tend to be in short supply, so a SL loan might be the best bet, but very difficult for LG. If he drops Finn or Sykes, will they want to keep training? Plus the effect on team spirit. And any loanee can be recalled. 

I think both Sykes & Finn are aware of where they are in the RL career, and have one eye on the next step which is coaching. Where better than Dewsbury with the next generation of half-backs.

They both will want to play as long as possible, because when they stop there will be no way back, but a half way house is the better option.

Both are top blokes, and great servants to Dewsbury, I hope they understand just how highly we think of them

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

21 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Who would you suggest?

I understand that we have been searching for a new half back for months but, strangely, they don't seem to be that many around.

Alex Smith is on our list of players and is a half back. We are going to have to give him a game soon or he may become unsettled. Some early season comments about his play were positive and he deserves to play, as does Davey Dixon the winger. I realise that it would be difficult to drop a winger who is playing well, but an occasional run out for future regular players will help to keep their commitment. Of course you would want to carefully select which game to introduce them in as we do not want to lose or discourage them.

53 minutes ago, myview said:

Alex Smith is on our list of players and is a half back. We are going to have to give him a game soon or he may become unsettled. Some early season comments about his play were positive and he deserves to play, as does Davey Dixon the winger. I realise that it would be difficult to drop a winger who is playing well, but an occasional run out for future regular players will help to keep their commitment. Of course you would want to carefully select which game to introduce them in as we do not want to lose or discourage them.

Yes, and this is a real problem in the Championship at present. I don't recall any young half back at Dewsbury who was an instant success in his first game - they need an extended chance to prove themselves. However, play a youngster and he has a couple of poor games leading to losses and we drop towards the danger zone, as well as the coach getting slated of forums and Facebook (again) for having the temerity of trying someone and something new.

Obviously the solution is to sign a proven, experienced, not too old half back. I don't know of any around, but maybe that's just me.

As I said earlier I believe that the coach and others are working very hard to acquire a suitable player, on loan or any other arrangement. So far without positive results.

In my personal opinion half back has been a real problem for us for many years (not just since Thackeray left, Nick) and I struggle to recall any of proper quality in the last 15 years.

FEV'S got  a young scrumhalf england academy captain harvey spence  from leeds he's behind brown chizzy and holmes but has  been named in all FEV's squads  yet to play in a league game but played in all FEV's  friendlies and to be honest with you we'ave had Callum McLelland who's now a regular with the rhinos and Harvey is just  as good as him with the added bonus he's a very good goal kicker 

Two weeks loan anybody?

On 01/06/2021 at 15:45, Blind side johnny said:

In my personal opinion half back has been a real problem for us for many years (not just since Thackeray left, Nick) and I struggle to recall any of proper quality in the last 15 years.

Indeed...

6 hours ago, POR said:

FEV'S got  a young scrumhalf england academy captain harvey spence  from leeds he's behind brown chizzy and holmes but has  been named in all FEV's squads  yet to play in a league game but played in all FEV's  friendlies and to be honest with you we'ave had Callum McLelland who's now a regular with the rhinos and Harvey is just  as good as him with the added bonus he's a very good goal kicker 

Two weeks loan anybody?

Ha, wouldn’t be worth a season long deal, might get recalled like some other Fev player!

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Archived