Match Thread: The 1895 Cup Semi-final, Featherstone Rovers v Widnes Sunday-6th-June-2021

2 minutes ago, Andrew Vause said:

He was heavilly strapped on the knee v Sheffield so I think it's more complicated than that. 

He had strapping  on his knee  at Fax AV but went off with his foot off the ground  and someone mentioned it on here  he's wearing a boot so don't think knee has owt to do with this injury

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, mightyship said:

It was Connor Jones

Yeah despite the commentator saying several times that it was Harcastle. Gale ran the ball into touch under similar circumstances last week didn't he.  Schoolboy errors really but top performers for us so I'll let them off.

Talking of the commentary I didn't mind so much hearing two former Fax players last week but how come we had some Widnes fan on the mike at our gaff ??

9 hours ago, RobLambert said:

Talking of the commentary I didn't mind so much hearing two former Fax players last week but how come we had some Widnes fan on the mike at our gaff ??

If you mean the summariser, that was Kyle Amor. Not sure if he has any particular connection to Widnes (unlike Craig Murdock and Frank Watene last week) but he did rather give away who he was hoping would win when shouting things like "quick, move it out!" when Widnes had an overlap!

8 hours ago, RobLambert said:

Yeah despite the commentator saying several times that it was Harcastle. Gale ran the ball into touch under similar circumstances last week didn't he.  Schoolboy errors really but top performers for us so I'll let them off.

That's true but there's subtle differences a speedster like Gareth G will always back himself to go round a defender but Connor J  not known for his pace it's a whole different ball game you could see he knew he was going to be caught and panicked in the end and let him self be tackled into touch instead of just dying with the ball 

But for me he did it all wrong from the beginning

We were told by an old coach a long long time ago  if your not a runner first thing you do is  head straight for the posts in the middle of the park so you got  the chance of teammates on  both sides  backing you up but if no one's there and your getting caught you need to stop the defender running so instead of running in a straight line you zig zag so he has to keep adjusting his tacking position I would think that's still good advice today 

We were also told something else which I thought was really funny he said you know when your going to be tackled  so kick the ball in the opposite way you are running stop and let defender clatter into you  it's a penalty all day long  f he doesn't keep running in front of him make him go the long way round for the ball now I don;t know if that would work but it's an interesting hypothesis 

10 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

If you mean the summariser, that was Kyle Amor. Not sure if he has any particular connection to Widnes (unlike Craig Murdock and Frank Watene last week) but he did rather give away who he was hoping would win when shouting things like "quick, move it out!" when Widnes had an overlap!

Kyle has no affiliation to widnes and to be fair as a current  SL player who actually played in the seml on saturday I think his comments were based  on what he would do in that situation  and what he thought they should do rather than any bias to widnes 

10 minutes ago, Squidward said:

How do you know he has no affiliation to Widnes?

I would be surprised if Some of Amor's team mates at Saints had not been loaned out to Widnes so that would be a link.When we had Leeds players under dual reg a few Leeds players came to  Fev to watch them play.

33 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I would be surprised if Some of Amor's team mates at Saints had not been loaned out to Widnes so that would be a link.When we had Leeds players under dual reg a few Leeds players came to  Fev to watch them play.

Add a bit of human factor into matters and when two teams are playing it's human nature to favour one or the other (unless you are a ref😟) Not everybody loves Fev like we do😄😄😄

2 hours ago, Squidward said:

How do you know he has no affiliation to Widnes?

I DON'T know but  he's from whitehaven  some 150 miles away and has never played for them so to suggest he has a leaning towards widnes is tenuous at the best NOW   whitehaven well that's a different kettle of fish

22 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

The only thing that matters is we are off to Wembley..... 😄

Most of your lot didn't care about it a week or so ago , said it would get in the way of the league and we might pick up injuries , it will be the best thing since sliced bread if you win , if York beat you (which they probably will) mickey mouse cup , waste of space , can hear it all 😀😀😀

15 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

Most of your lot didn't care about it a week or so ago , said it would get in the way of the league and we might pick up injuries , it will be the best thing since sliced bread if you win , if York beat you (which they probably will) mickey mouse cup , waste of space , can hear it all 😀😀😀

I think there were 2, maybe 3 people on this thread expressed that view, in a thread that has over 6,000 views and counting.
As an aside, I think most of us on here have a reasonably positive view of York and their fans, but feel free to keep working on us...

32 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

You must be really bored.

On 06/06/2021 at 19:42, POR said:

I thought Tom H had the worst game I've  ever seen him play  in a FEV shirt

Apart from 2 superb passes to put Day over, making one of our few clean breaks of the second half which led to our penalty kick, pinpoint distribution, good defence including getting back to tackle Spedding one on one late on and generally not putting a foot wrong.........Yeah he was ######

Seriously though it's all about opinions - maybe he's just set the bar high

9 hours ago, RobLambert said:

Apart from 2 superb passes to put Day over, making one of our few clean breaks of the second half which led to our penalty kick, pinpoint distribution, good defence including getting back to tackle Spedding one on one late on and generally not putting a foot wrong.........Yeah he was ######

Seriously though it's all about opinions - maybe he's just set the bar high

Well put Rob. Holmes is instrumental in everything on the pitch. We'd look lost without him especially in the absence of Chizzy

16 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Well put Rob. Holmes is instrumental in everything on the pitch. We'd look lost without him especially in the absence of Chizzy

Holmes is good at Championship level,but does lack pace which i think has hampered a SL career.Similar player in a way to a younger Ridyard who he played alongside so successfully with us.We only saw Riddy when he was on the way down but he was instrumental when Leigh overtook us as Championship's leading club,with the help of Deggsy's cash.

17 hours ago, Squidward said:

Tenuous link. 

I was 99% sure I saw Amor seated in the crowd at Anfield for a Liverpool European midweek cup match a few years ago. Widnes being just over the water. Coincidence?

Jesus, I once ordered a Mira shower part from Cromwell Street in Gloucester. I'm no Fred West fan! 

Conjecture, conjecture, conjecture,. All that matters is that we won. We have wise decisions coming from the hierarchy. Lets just go ahead and demolish Bradford . The team will be the best that is available.

Archived