Sheffield - Game 9

jroyales

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely terrible performance. The half backs are the worst I've seen in my time watching Oldham. Hewitt hides all game out on the left doing nothing. Charnock is simply shocking. Can't pass the ball which is disgraceful for a half back. Picking these two again week after week is insanity, we saw last year in the 5 game sample that they weren't good enough . Must go out and find a stand off to go with Barran at scrum half and put Green back in at full back.

The likes of Bridge and Nelmes wouldn't be too far behind the half backs for me. They have been terrible. Poor Benty is getting worse week by week and that last play of the game where he didn't know it was the last tackle was extremely poor.

Only positives I could see were the front rowers. Joy was very good after a long spell out whilst Kirk and Reilly were our best two players by a significant distance. We actually looked a lot better in the last 15 when we just focused on the ptb and all supported Gregory through the middle.

A very bad day all round.

35 minutes ago, roughyed1064 said:

see why batley fans did not rate diskin now, but if we did get shut of him where do we go from here, example we just dont have the squad up to championship standard.

I was in conversation with a few of them some time ago on their forum asking how Mick Ward was doing. They said they'd heard he'd signed up for Oldham. They told me in no uncertain terms they weren't keen on him either as a coach or a person. 

hewitt/charnock/bent/owen/both abrams/are not champ. standard.

and some of the backs we have signed are only academy players and have never played champ rugby.

so i would say we have about 10 players who are not fit for purpose thats a lot of players.

and just to add this we are leaking average points against per match 36.4 

16 hours ago, m brooksy said:

I'll post a longer comment after when I've calmed down but Diskin has to go. That was appalling.

Gosh 'Brooksy', if a final result of a loss at 28:32 is appalling, where does that leave Sheffield?

Of course, the result was very disappointing and lessons certainly need to be taken from the errors and lapses in defence which led to the loss, but overall the game was played with a lot of intensity and effort by both sides. If we had just edged the game at the end, something which we very nearly did, it would have been a very different story.

Here's to the next game. Come on Oldham!  

Gifted Sheffield most of their points again yesterday,  the key for me was the try we gave away right on halftime, and the dropped ball from kick off after getting back into it. Agree with the above key positions just just not upto it at the moment,  I would get bowman on loan from batley and also nisbet back for season to strengthen the halves and fullback,  play barran every week when he's fit. We need to roll our sleeves up now I fear we won't get out of that bottom two without drastic changes now unfortunately.  I'll be there as always though next weekend 🙄

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Gosh 'Brooksy', if a final result of a loss at 28:32 is appalling, where does that leave Sheffield?

Of course, the result was very disappointing and lessons certainly need to be taken from the errors and lapses in defence which led to the loss, but overall the game was played with a lot of intensity and effort by both sides. If we had just edged the game at the end, something which we very nearly did, it would have been a very different story.

Brooksy is correct - we were appalling particularly in the half backs. Sheffield were the marginally better of two poor teams

I think the clubs Match Review summed up the game v well. Oldham dominated possession and territory but lacked a clinical edge . Decent halves and fullback are priceless in this league. In every other position i personally think we have a strong squad but unless Diskin can find an answer in those key positions we wont stay up.  

That was a poor Sheffield team and a very winnable game. How they were able to put 32 points on us at home is concerning but at least they dug in and made a game in the end.

I agree with Happyed in that the forwards at least are a match for most teams in the championship but aren't being used correctly whether that is due to the quality of the halves/hooker or the coaching. Prime example, in my opinion, is Liam Bent. He will tackle all day but we still seem to use him to drive the ball in from first receiver when he rarely passes or breaks a tackle. He may be a willing runner but get the others to do the hard yards and let him save his energy to tackle whatever comes in front of him.

The last few weeks have been bad but we still have hope.

Stats-

Abram-2 tackles. 3 misses. 2 offloads. 7 tackle busts. one try assist. 18 carries=88m

Brierley-1 tackle. 2 misses. 5 tackle busts. one clean break. 9 carries=73m

Bridge-14 tackles. 3 misses. 2 offloads. 4 tackle busts. 9 carries=67m

Roberts-14 tackles. 2 misses. 3 tackle busts. one clean break. 19 carries=147m

Ince-6 tackles. 2 tackle busts. 10 carries=91m

Charnock-23 tackles. 3 misses. one tackle bust. 9 carries=83m

Hewitt-7 tackles. one miss. 2 tackle busts. 2 try assists. 5 carries=24m

Joy-19 tackles. 15 carries=109m

Owen-15 tackles. one miss. 1 carry=10m

Kirk-22 tackles. one offload. 2 tackle busts. one clean break. 12 carries=83m

Langtree-19 tackles. 4 misses. 3 offloads. 4 tackle busts. one clean break. 14 carries=113m

Bent-54 tackles. one miss. one tackle bust. 5 carries=28m

Reilly-24 tackles. 2 misses. 2 offloads. 7 tackle busts. one clean break. 18 carries=109m

subs

Nelmes-23 tackles. one tackle bust. 13 carries=88m

Dupree-22 tackles. 3 misses. 2 offloads. one tackle bust. 8 carries=62m

Fletcher-16 tackles. one miss. one tackle bust. 5 carries=30m

Gregory-25 tackles. 4 misses. one offload. 2 try assists. 11 carries=71m

7 hours ago, Emmalivo said:

Why do you keep showing all our stats to the competition. I don’t think this is helpful. 

The stats are just for us fans to show who's playing well or trying hard. No coaches are looking at these or basing how they play based of these stats. 

1 hour ago, Emmalivo said:

Are you sure? !!

Yes !  WE are sure. Does that answer your question ? ?

Archived