Test Match

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Wracks brains for players with z in name 

Two big boppers up the middle, Baz n Tez.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I had no idea who this is, so I looked him up online.

He is 66 years old and played for Barrow in the 1970s. 

Barrow in those days was part of Poland until the borders moved 

1 hour ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I had no idea who this is, so I looked him up online.

He is 66 years old and played for Barrow in the 1970s. 

And you still wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of him😁

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Indeed . I deduce he knew this and it was indeed a humorous comment 

You know me too well, 1 Eddie Syzmala would be better than Baz n' Tez combined, his Achilles heel was that at the end of those massive arms he had the prototype for the Burgess brothers flippers so ball handling wasn't his thing, or it might be the permanent red mist he saw things through.

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Barrow in those days was part of Poland until the borders moved 

I spent a fair bit of time in Barrow for family reasons and you could feel the cold wind coming stright off the Steppes.

I was talking with a old acquaintance, Peter Roe who coached there a while back and the conversation got onto Barrow, after a while he asked if I had ever been there when there wasn't a cold wind blowing, I said no I hadn't "me neither mate" just a couple of old Keighleians shooting the breeze😁

20 hours ago, Eddie said:

Is this the actual Brazil and Philippines national teams, or is it Australians with some heritage from those countries? I’m quite happy with the latter, but would prefer the former. 

Is there actually either a Brazilian or Phiippino team that could be sourced from their own country?

Or are these two teams like the Italian, Greek and Lebanese teams that have descendents running about in Sydney, all with wives called Shelagh or Kylie and going for a barbie and a few tinines on the beach!

Why not do it over here, in the not to distant future we could in this country advertise for 17 lads from a great number of countries to have the opportunity to don an international jumper, just think how many teams could enter the early rounds of the WC format?

It is getting rather silly.

30 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Is there actually either a Brazilian or Phiippino team that could be sourced from their own country?

Or are these two teams like the Italian, Greek and Lebanese teams that have descendents running about in Sydney, all with wives called Shelagh or Kylie and going for a barbie and a few tinines on the beach!

Why not do it over here, in the not to distant future we could in this country advertise for 17 lads from a great number of countries to have the opportunity to don an international jumper, just think how many teams could enter the early rounds of the WC format?

It is getting rather silly.

Agreed, it is. I’d like to see a minimum requirement of players actually from that country, at least half of the 17. By all means have Peru heritage v Brazil heritage played in Australia, it’s great fun I’m sure, but don’t call it an international fixture because it isn’t. 

45 minutes ago, RugbyFan99 said:

If it's just two teams of Aussies playing each other, how is it a Test Match?

The eligibility Rules......?

At least one of 4 of the players grandparents need to have been born in Brazil, failing that at least one of 2 of the players parents need to have been born in Brazil, failing that the player needs to have been born in Brazil. Exactly the same rules for the Philippines team.

It's on the International Rugby League official website as a Senior International Match as opposed to England v Combined Nations which is also listed on that website, but as a Representative Game.   

17 hours ago, Clogiron said:

I spent a fair bit of time in Barrow for family reasons and you could feel the cold wind coming stright off the Steppes.

I was talking with a old acquaintance, Peter Roe who coached there a while back and the conversation got onto Barrow, after a while he asked if I had ever been there when there wasn't a cold wind blowing, I said no I hadn't "me neither mate" just a couple of old Keighleians shooting the breeze😁

They breed em tough in Barrow.

Back around 1983 me and a mate were on holiday at a caravan park in Antibes in the South of France.  We met two lasses who were from Barrow the lass that I latched onto had just finished college whilst the lass who my mate ended up with said she was a riveter in a shipyard.  One night my mate admitted to me he was scared to dump the lass in case she smacked him. 😄😄

Some terrible ignorance in this thread.

Why would it matter where it's played to constitute a test match?

Yes, both teams could put together a purely domestic side. 

I believe a good proportion (most even) of the Brazil team are students from Brazil. 

In all my years of dealing with expansion do you know what I've never heard from domestic players?

"X team isn't a real X team because it's made up of heritage players". 

The only people it matters to are Facebook commenters and forum users. Nobody in those countries see it that way.

new rise.jpg

1 hour ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

They breed em tough in Barrow.

Back around 1983 me and a mate were on holiday at a caravan park in Antibes in the South of France.  We met two lasses who were from Barrow the lass that I latched onto had just finished college whilst the lass who my mate ended up with said she was a riveter in a shipyard.  One night my mate admitted to me he was scared to dump the lass in case she smacked him. 😄😄

She wasn't called Rosie by any chance was she😊

2 hours ago, Pulga said:

I believe a good proportion (most even) of the Brazil team are students from Brazil. 

In all my years of dealing with expansion do you know what I've never heard from domestic players?

The only people it matters to are Facebook commenters and forum users. Nobody in those countries see it that way.

I have no problem with 'heritage' players playing for any national team they qualify for. If a player feels pride in representing a country a grandparent or parent came from, then great.

I do however think that once a player has played for a country (any country, no matter what tier it is), they should not be able to change allegiance.

On other point, if matches such as this are actually internationals, representing IRL accredited national teams we need to ensure that the players are actually qualified to represent those countries. Situations like the one when a 16 year old Blake Austin represented Portugal despite not having any Portuguese heritage because his dad was mates with their coach are ridiculous.

In Austin's words "I was young and being 16, I didn’t say no to many games of footy." "I turned out to be one of the better players, so they kept inviting me back and I just played for them." That's ludicrous. 

4 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

I have no problem with 'heritage' players playing for any national team they qualify for. If a player feels pride in representing a country a grandparent or parent came from, then great.

I do however think that once a player has played for a country (any country, no matter what tier it is), they should not be able to change allegiance.

On other point, if matches such as this are actually internationals, representing IRL accredited national teams we need to ensure that the players are actually qualified to represent those countries. Situations like the one when a 16 year old Blake Austin represented Portugal despite not having any Portuguese heritage because his dad was mates with their coach is ridiculous.

In Austin's words "I was young and being 16, I didn’t say no to many games of footy." "I turned out to be one of the better players, so they kept inviting me back and I just played for them." That's ludicrous. 

Yes I'd agree on both accounts. No change in allegiance and proper national eligibility checks.  

2 hours ago, Pulga said:

Yes but in fairness, Australia is made up of 'heritage people'

5 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

On other point, if matches such as this are actually internationals, representing IRL accredited national teams we need to ensure that the players are actually qualified to represent those countries. Situations like the one when a 16 year old Blake Austin represented Portugal despite not having any Portuguese heritage because his dad was mates with their coach are ridiculous.

You'll likely find the Portugal wasn't a sanctioned game.

You have to provide documents to prove your heritage which takes quite a while when it's your job to collate them. I know, it's been my job in the past.

new rise.jpg

8 hours ago, Pulga said:

This. 

It’s a proper international and it’s actually quite mad that Brazil and Philippines are playing International Rugby League. Ten to fifteen years ago, it would have sounded crazy but rather than congratulate what volunteers are doing to grow the game, champion the game’s footprint growing and/or getting behind it in some form, it’s turned into the usual negativity from the same group of people in the sport. It’s quite sad that people belittle and beat players and nations because the colour of their passport might not be what people are expecting. 

Sometimes, I really despair at this game and it’s idiotic following. 

2 minutes ago, Pulga said:

You'll likely find the Portugal wasn't a sanctioned game.

You have to provide documents to prove your heritage which takes quite a while when it's your job to collate them. I know, it's been my job in the past.

Perhaps the matches Austin played for Portugal weren't sanctioned. I believe his debut for them was against Malta in 2007 and he continued to play for them until 2012, well after he began playing in the NRL for Penrith.

In my opinion it doesn't show the international game in the best light if national teams who do play sanctioned internationals (assuming Portugal's games against Fiji, Greece, etc in the last 15 years were sanctioned) also play unsanctioned internationals where they select players with no connection to their country at all.

Anyway, in light of your experience it does seem likely to be an anomaly and in general terms I encourage and applaud efforts to promote national teams amongst players with different national ancestries. Hopefully it is a way to spread the sport into those countries and build domestic competitions there.

8 hours ago, Pulga said:

Exactly.

Remember Henry Paul, Lesley Vainikolo and Shontayne Hape?  At least we don't claim someone who has residency qualifications from *another sport* for a national team.

9 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

If she was in Antibes around 1983 with a lass called Alison McKenna then it probably was her.

I was referring to the WW2 US poster of 'Rosie the Riveter' that some of our more tech savvy contributers should be able to post on here, a old git like myself struggles with typing😞

Archived