John Duffy to be sacked?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Chester or Duffy I assume

Can't imagine it being Chester when Wakefield have just started to find form over the past few weeks.

Maybe Duffy but that would be very harsh, he's doing what he can with the cards he's dealt.

My guess would be Powell. He's leaving anyway and Cas have started to go to pieces in recent weeks. Radford to start his new job a few months early.  

None really "make sense" right now, as people have stated with cup semis, poor squads and upturns in form helping many. Before last weekend I'm sure Agar would have been top of the list for example.

Perhaps Marshall at Salford? But not getting as much out of that squad as Watson did is no crime given how much they over achieved. 

As with any coach sacking, you have to have a replacement ready at hand imo and that's not a given for anyone but Cas?

Would be a strange situation.   Powell leaves a few days prior to a cup semi, but what about Sheridan and Mills who are also Warrington bound?

Not sure it’s the best thing to do but I guess we’ll see, if it’s true.

26 minutes ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

I wouldn’t be stunned if it was Lam although I think that would be harsh. 

Getting fired for losing one game away to a very good side, after an unbeaten start to the season is more than a little harsh! 

It would certainly send a message out to any potential coaches though.   Whether that message is the right one I’m not so sure.   Losing the cup quarter final hasn’t helped obviously but I would think Wigan would wait until the end of the season to see how the run to the GF goes.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

As with any coach sacking, you have to have a replacement ready at hand imo and that's not a given for anyone but Cas?

If it is Mr Duffy although harsh on the lad it would show Mr Beaumont is not happy with what is happening performance wise with the player's available to the coaching staff - which comprises roughly 8 in number - but the head coach lives or dies with what is happening on the field of play.

BUT, as you state there should be a replacement ready to step into the void, it can not be from within the club, there is no one with proven abillity to step up, and the absence of anything about on the RL rumour mill suggests there is no one lined up for the post.

If it is Mr Duffy it should be noted that Leigh Centurions are haemorrhaging fans only those it seems already with season tickets will attend, a near 25% increase in admission prices will put off those from paying to watch a 'no hope' team, so carrying on as Leigh are doesn't seem to be an option for Mr Beaumont to contemplate, BUT if it is his coach who is going to be replaced it will have to be someone who ticks the right boxes, someone with no previous at the club, I have personally been very critical on Mr Beaumont's appointments his last four coaches have been Rowley, Jukes, Purtill and Duffy all past player's and entrenched at the club, still in my opinion 'one of the boys' and thus not commanding the respect deserved for the position, the job requires a strong character and disciplinarian, and that will cost financially, Leigh will be relegated at the end of this season, Wigan have already enticed two of the squad away and I expect there will be more players commiting to other clubs so any new coach will have to be given a budget for next term, interesting times ahead if you are a Leigh fan.

But as yet we don't know if it is Mr Duffy or not.

15 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Getting fired for losing one game away to a very good side, after an unbeaten start to the season is more than a little harsh! 

It would certainly send a message out to any potential coaches though.   Whether that message is the right one I’m not so sure.   Losing the cup quarter final hasn’t helped obviously but I would think Wigan would wait until the end of the season to see how the run to the GF goes.

I wouldn’t disagree. Wigan were so close to winning a Grand Final last year and up until recently were top of the league. I don’t think for a minute that Lam should go, it’s just a feeling. The expectations at Wigan are incredibly high, coaches have gone for less, so I just wouldn’t be stunned.

23 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

If it is Mr Duffy although harsh on the lad it would show Mr Beaumont is not happy with what is happening performance wise with the player's available to the coaching staff - which comprises roughly 8 in number - but the head coach lives or dies with what is happening on the field of play.

BUT, as you state there should be a replacement ready to step into the void, it can not be from within the club, there is no one with proven abillity to step up, and the absence of anything about on the RL rumour mill suggests there is no one lined up for the post.

If it is Mr Duffy it should be noted that Leigh Centurions are haemorrhaging fans only those it seems already with season tickets will attend, a near 25% increase in admission prices will put off those from paying to watch a 'no hope' team, so carrying on as Leigh are doesn't seem to be an option for Mr Beaumont to contemplate, BUT if it is his coach who is going to be replaced it will have to be someone who ticks the right boxes, someone with no previous at the club, I have personally been very critical on Mr Beaumont's appointments his last four coaches have been Rowley, Jukes, Purtill and Duffy all past player's and entrenched at the club, still in my opinion 'one of the boys' and thus not commanding the respect deserved for the position, the job requires a strong character and disciplinarian, and that will cost financially, Leigh will be relegated at the end of this season, Wigan have already enticed two of the squad away and I expect there will be more players commiting to other clubs so any new coach will have to be given a budget for next term, interesting times ahead if you are a Leigh fan.

But as yet we don't know if it is Mr Duffy or not.

I doubt that Craig Bellamy could do much with that Leigh squad. I just don't see the point in bringing in another coach unless they are also set to announce a few quality mid season signings to try to push for survival.

12 minutes ago, MZH said:

I doubt that Craig Bellamy could do much with that Leigh squad. I just don't see the point in bringing in another coach unless they are also set to announce a few quality mid season signings to try to push for survival.

i suppose it depends on if there is something going on behind the scenes we dont know about.. 

is the training lacking in direction, is he lacking in ideas of how to try and turn it around, is he getting frustrated and it starting to show (which would rub off on the players) etc etc.. maybe a new coach gets more out of players in terms of attitude.. 

I am not saying any of the above is true but i could understand reasons behind a change, perhaps, being a good thing. BUT i do think it would be harsh as he has a poor hand to play, however, if he is "losing the dressing room" then that is a problem. His job this year really is to keep the players heads up keep them positive try and get a few results and come back stronger next year. I just wonder if that positivity is something he is struggling with (understandably).. 

3 minutes ago, RP London said:

i suppose it depends on if there is something going on behind the scenes we dont know about.. 

is the training lacking in direction, is he lacking in ideas of how to try and turn it around, is he getting frustrated and it starting to show (which would rub off on the players) etc etc.. maybe a new coach gets more out of players in terms of attitude.. 

I am not saying any of the above is true but i could understand reasons behind a change, perhaps, being a good thing. BUT i do think it would be harsh as he has a poor hand to play, however, if he is "losing the dressing room" then that is a problem. His job this year really is to keep the players heads up keep them positive try and get a few results and come back stronger next year. I just wonder if that positivity is something he is struggling with (understandably).. 

Which all comes with expierence RP, my opinion, he was to early in his coaching career for an head coaches job at a SL club, he had not been in that environment previously he should have been an assistant serving an apprenticeship somewhere and building a reputation.

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Which all comes with expierence RP, my opinion, he was to early in his coaching career for an head coaches job at a SL club, he had not been in that environment previously he should have been an assistant serving an apprenticeship somewhere and building a reputation.

yep tend to agree with that. 

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Where have you got that from?

Nothing on BBC or Sky RL sites.

Its on one of the Email things I get from Matt Shaw I think

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/john-duffy-leaves-leigh-centurions-20723365?utm_source=leeds_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=rugby_league_lve_newsletter&utm_medium=email&pure360.trackingid=

• Chris22 changed the title to John Duffy to be sacked?

Archived