John Duffy to be sacked?

He must have known like everyone else did  that when they lost their first run of games itchy fingers would be on the trigger, someone was going to have to be the fall guy for the inevitable outcome of what the club accepted to be in SL.

Still wont win a game this season.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, DavidM said:

That’s tough , what were they expecting. I’m sure those doing the sacking had a big hand in signing the players he’s working with 

It's incredibly harsh on Duffy to put him in a league with a woefully inadequate squad then sack him after a load of fully expected defeats. 

Just now, Tonka said:

I don't see what sacking the coach achieves for Leigh, to be honest.  I suppose they've got to do something...

Thats all i can think.. its the "there must be something wrong here, lets try this" rather than "we just dont have the players" 

Unless they have someone very good lined up then i can only think this is a poor decision. 

I don't know which is the biggest basket case... SL for admitting Leigh at short notice and for half the cash, or Leigh for sacking Duffy who tried his utmost with nearly every card stacked against him. 

I truly despair of RL in this country. 

19 minutes ago, dkw said:

It's incredibly harsh on Duffy to put him in a league with a woefully inadequate squad then sack him after a load of fully expected defeats. 

Exactly this.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

Henderson would be my choice. Good coach and good bloke. 

Wouldn't be a bad spot for him to resume as a head coach either. Expectations can never have been lower of an incoming SL coach, in that if he even wins a game it will be viewed as an achievement, and he has the pedigree and experience to do well if, as most people anticipate, Leigh are back in the Championship next season. It's the opposite of the poisoned chalice that Duffy inherited when his team were promoted.

Madness. What chance did he have? Probably put in a league he didn't want to go in with a team that can not compete. The best coach in the world will not get them winning games with the squad they have. Who in their right mind takes that job without assurances that they will get the chance to get them back in to SL next season?

Can't say I'm sorry for the position Leigh are in. There was  no compassion from the Leigh posters when Toronto was in the same position and they didn't get any cash from SL. 

2 minutes ago, frank said:

Can't say I'm sorry for the position Leigh are in. There was  no compassion from the Leigh posters when Toronto was in the same position and they didn't get any cash from SL. 

But leigh fans aren't crowing about it. They're not demanding anything and haven't left the competition.

I'm at a loss to see your comparison here Frank

10 minutes ago, JohnM said:

If this story is correct, and I seems it is, then there will be no shortage of applicants keen to work for one of the games most reserved, patient and gentlemanly owners.

Who ever Dexy appoints to take over from Duffy will have my sympathy because they are on a hiding to nothing with the restraints they are under and Dexy on top of that. Leigh or any other club should have be allowed to enter Super League but with Dexy it's all about his ego.

3 minutes ago, Wire quin said:

Henderson would be a good choice given his past experience in the championship.

With him being out of work at the end of the season with the Wolves the job might appeal to him, but how long would he last at Leigh? and there is the huge problem of rebuilding the squad at the end of the season as all the players are only on season long contracts and any decent players will be snapped up by Super League clubs

1 hour ago, dkw said:

Indeed, he should have been given the chance to at least play against Wakey, KR and Salford

44 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

But leigh fans aren't crowing about it. They're not demanding anything and haven't left the competition.

I'm at a loss to see your comparison here Frank

Lets not pretend that some Leigh fans only had a go because of them leaving the competition and that it started in Super League. They were having a go for some years before that.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Lets not pretend that some Leigh fans only had a go because of them leaving the competition and that it started in Super League. They were having a go for some years before that.

Either way Damien, it's still a daft comparison.

Archived