John Duffy to be sacked?

I’d heard a rumour Duffy had told the players at training a few weeks ago that if he couldn’t get the win within a couple of weeks he would walk.

I suspect him leaving is as much his decision as it is Derek’s as he’s probably realised he can’t turn it around. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfair on Duffy imo.  Leigh have started well in a few games but can’t quite sustain it and now, as injuries become another factor, face an even bigger challenge.  

Is there still plenty of money left to buy players? Or is it for another rainy day?

32 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Indeed, he should have been given the chance to at least play against Wakey, KR and Salford

But they have played Salford and Hull KR. Lost both comfortably. 

Unless you're being sarcastic and I have misread the tone? 

51 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Who ever Dexy appoints to take over from Duffy will have my sympathy because they are on a hiding to nothing with the restraints they are under and Dexy on top of that. Leigh or any other club should have be allowed to enter Super League but with Dexy it's all about his ego.

There are some laughable narratives going on in people's heads here. Of all the things levelled at Beaumont, people trying to say he doesn't back his coaches is just ridiculous. 

Rowley left to join Toronto and the money/opportunity that went with it, Jukes was immediately backed to the hilt and ultimately had to resign under fan pressure to force a change when our season was falling apart in 2018, even then Beaumont gave him a job within his company straight away. Purtill left during the uncertainty with a deal on the table for him if he wanted it.

Now to Duffy, he himself has stated in the media a few weeks back he would step aside if he didn't get results as he didn't want to hurt the club and his pre/post game interviews have increasingly given the impression of someone running out of ideas to fix things up.

If you(or any of the other posters trying to paint this as Beaumont throwing his toys out the pram) really still believe this was a straight sacking, maybe have a think about how many times you've seen a joint statement from owner and coach as has been the case here? I certainly can't think of any. God only knows how posters on here would react if he went on sky after the game to announce the coach had been sacked like Pearson did.. 

4 minutes ago, gavin7094 said:

But they have played Salford and Hull KR. Lost both comfortably. 

Unless you're being sarcastic and I have misread the tone? 

Wakey too. Although they have turned a corner.

Tbh they had little to no chance before the season and have less than that now. Absolutely dreadful call it seems to apply for the promotion spot now.

2 hours ago, Number 16 said:

I don't know which is the biggest basket case... SL for admitting Leigh at short notice and for half the cash, or Leigh for sacking Duffy who tried his utmost with nearly every card stacked against him. 

I truly despair of RL in this country. 

SL needed an extra club, just for magic.  Otherwise no point.

But Leigh should have just have pocketed the money and waited for next season.  They still might have stayed in anyway.

Henderson and Wane being linked, IMO Derek has just realised the coach is the most important appointment in the team. The medium plan was to grow our own through a heavily financed academy, that wasn’t allowed, so he is looking at the 400k pa earmarked for that to create systems and processes via a top class coach, could Wane say no to £250k pa? And a 5 year deal 

it is essential the new long term coach comes in now, he will be given a huge pot to spend for 2022 whatever division we are in. We have been a victim of circumstance but cash was available and still is to better what we have, beating Salford at home and 2/3 other wins may be enough anyway

the great news is that this weekend we currently have 12 fit players

31 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Could Wane say no to £250k pa? And a 5 year deal 

Absolutely. According to form he makes more than he ever did in rugby doing corporate appointments. 

3 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Probably put in a league he didn't want to go in

Exactly.   Feel sorry for Duffy taking the blame like that.   Leigh will almost certainly be relegated, so I wonder if the new coach will insist on a clause in their contract that allows them to walk away to a Super League job if the Leigh squad isn't capable of surviving in the top flight.

35 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Henderson and Wane being linked, IMO Derek has just realised the coach is the most important appointment in the team. The medium plan was to grow our own through a heavily financed academy, that wasn’t allowed, so he is looking at the 400k pa earmarked for that to create systems and processes via a top class coach, could Wane say no to £250k pa? And a 5 year deal 

it is essential the new long term coach comes in now, he will be given a huge pot to spend for 2022 whatever division we are in. We have been a victim of circumstance but cash was available and still is to better what we have, beating Salford at home and 2/3 other wins may be enough anyway

the great news is that this weekend we currently have 12 fit players

Weren’t allowed to grow your own academy?  

1 hour ago, LeytherRob said:

There are some laughable narratives going on in people's heads here. Of all the things levelled at Beaumont, people trying to say he doesn't back his coaches is just ridiculous. 

Rowley left to join Toronto and the money/opportunity that went with it, Jukes was immediately backed to the hilt and ultimately had to resign under fan pressure to force a change when our season was falling apart in 2018, even then Beaumont gave him a job within his company straight away. Purtill left during the uncertainty with a deal on the table for him if he wanted it.

Now to Duffy, he himself has stated in the media a few weeks back he would step aside if he didn't get results as he didn't want to hurt the club and his pre/post game interviews have increasingly given the impression of someone running out of ideas to fix things up.

If you(or any of the other posters trying to paint this as Beaumont throwing his toys out the pram) really still believe this was a straight sacking, maybe have a think about how many times you've seen a joint statement from owner and coach as has been the case here? I certainly can't think of any. God only knows how posters on here would react if he went on sky after the game to announce the coach had been sacked like Pearson did.. 

Sadly, you are assuming that those posters have actually read the article, which supports what you say. I suspect that they haven't.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

9 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Growing your own academy should be mandatory... its ridiculous that the game can't exploit these opportunities .

When the RFL brought in funding for academies FEV had to disband their's  and when FEV asked to start up again with the funding provided by a local businessman  RFL said no they have this idea that only certain teams can offer young players the pathway to SL stardom 

mandatory your having a laugh  if either toulouse or FEV get promoted this year in the eyes of the RFL  only toulouse will be allowed  to run an academy

1 minute ago, POR said:

When the RFL brought in funding for academies FEV had to disband their's  and when FEV asked to start up again with the funding provided by a local businessman  RFL said no they have this idea that only certain teams can offer young players the pathway to SL stardom 

mandatory your having a laugh 

Aye. And nobody's laughing. It really is sad

Its laughable that Duffy seems to be taking the blame. He put together a team that would have been able to compete for promotion from the Championship and then was asked to take that team and sign any cast offs still available probably on inflated contracts to try and perform a miracle. Every game I have watched them in this season it is painfully obvious that physicality wise they are a Championship team and its just men against boys.

£250k pa for 5 years? In comparison, Ancelloti ex Everton, was on around 44 times that, at £11 million. I realise there is a bit of a difference between Everton and Leigh - by a factor of 44!

Not a job for Wane, IMHO. That of course means he'll get the job. Leigh need a fixer, someone to just keep them up.

Just don't see Leigh as a welcoming non-toxic environment for a big name, though of course, I do hope they can stay up. 

23 minutes ago, JohnM said:

£250k pa for 5 years? In comparison, Ancelloti ex Everton, was on around 44 times that, at £11 million. I realise there is a bit of a difference between Everton and Leigh - by a factor of 44!

Not a job for Wane, IMHO. That of course means he'll get the job. Leigh need a fixer, someone to just keep them up.

Just don't see Leigh as a welcoming non-toxic environment for a big name, though of course, I do hope they can stay up. 

What do you believe a T6 SL coach gets paid?

This all goes back to the stupidity of any club accepting a place in SL under the t and c s set out when Toronto were evicted..............................all should have said ...no no no and left SL with 11 and left it it them to solve the odd number problem ,if it is a problem....................

will any coach now `save Leigh`.................the club with three years SL experience or perhaps put a better way one years experience three times...............

8 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

If it is Mr Duffy although harsh on the lad it would show Mr Beaumont is not happy with what is happening performance wise with the player's available to the coaching staff - which comprises roughly 8 in number - but the head coach lives or dies with what is happening on the field of play.

BUT, as you state there should be a replacement ready to step into the void, it can not be from within the club, there is no one with proven abillity to step up, and the absence of anything about on the RL rumour mill suggests there is no one lined up for the post.

If it is Mr Duffy it should be noted that Leigh Centurions are haemorrhaging fans only those it seems already with season tickets will attend, a near 25% increase in admission prices will put off those from paying to watch a 'no hope' team, so carrying on as Leigh are doesn't seem to be an option for Mr Beaumont to contemplate, BUT if it is his coach who is going to be replaced it will have to be someone who ticks the right boxes, someone with no previous at the club, I have personally been very critical on Mr Beaumont's appointments his last four coaches have been Rowley, Jukes, Purtill and Duffy all past player's and entrenched at the club, still in my opinion 'one of the boys' and thus not commanding the respect deserved for the position, the job requires a strong character and disciplinarian, and that will cost financially, Leigh will be relegated at the end of this season, Wigan have already enticed two of the squad away and I expect there will be more players commiting to other clubs so any new coach will have to be given a budget for next term, interesting times ahead if you are a Leigh fan.

But as yet we don't know if it is Mr Duffy or not.

Bit in retrospect I guess here H but its not a good look; big sinking ship vibe.

Clearly there has been a fallout between Duffy and Beaumont, the debate now centres around what that is over. Did Duffy not agree with the Super League application? Did he feel let down by the lack of signings? Did he not want to have a winless season on his CV? On the other side did Duffy promise Beaumont they could do it and has seriously underdelivered? Does Beaumont believe Duffy, Carvell etc were not up to the job anyway and this was a convenient way to move them out? I don't know which is right or if its another option.

Regardless of all that, from either side, the current results were entirely predictable at the start of the season. That makes this move now, from either party, decidedly odd - unless they've believed their own hype?

I think like you that Leigh should have had a top rate coach under Beaumont at least once, instead of the old boys club they have ended up with.

Archived