John Duffy to be sacked?

54 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

What do you believe a T6 SL coach gets paid?

Dunno really... Something between £150k and £250k, though I'm sure it varies widely in amount and structure. I think at present, Leigh need a fixer, somone like John Kear, to save them this season. I just don't see it as a job for Wane, somehow. However, with my record of predictions, that probably means he's signed already. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

There are some laughable narratives going on in people's heads here. Of all the things levelled at Beaumont, people trying to say he doesn't back his coaches is just ridiculous. 

Rowley left to join Toronto and the money/opportunity that went with it, Jukes was immediately backed to the hilt and ultimately had to resign under fan pressure to force a change when our season was falling apart in 2018, even then Beaumont gave him a job within his company straight away. Purtill left during the uncertainty with a deal on the table for him if he wanted it.

Now to Duffy, he himself has stated in the media a few weeks back he would step aside if he didn't get results as he didn't want to hurt the club and his pre/post game interviews have increasingly given the impression of someone running out of ideas to fix things up.

If you(or any of the other posters trying to paint this as Beaumont throwing his toys out the pram) really still believe this was a straight sacking, maybe have a think about how many times you've seen a joint statement from owner and coach as has been the case here? I certainly can't think of any. God only knows how posters on here would react if he went on sky after the game to announce the coach had been sacked like Pearson did.. 

I'd suggest you are on the money there Rob , Duff's is the sort of person who would go for the clubs benefit more than his own , just a shame , he was brought in to win promotion , and might well have done it 

Where do we go from here ? , Well as has been suggested , Henderson might well feel he'll be on the outside at Wire with Powell coming in , he lives in Lowton less than 2 miles from the LSV 

If he does get it I'd think he'd want 2 seasons after this one to try and win promotion , who else ? , Not the foggiest 🤔

23 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Dunno really... Something between £150k and £250k, though I'm sure it varies widely in amount and structure. I think at present, Leigh need a fixer, somone like John Kear, to save them this season. I just don't see it as a job for Wane, somehow. However, with my record of predictions, that probably means he's signed already. 

Not even close, more like 60k plus a car for. British coach. Maybe 100k for an Aussie topped up with rent free house and car and a job for the wife.

Ar the end of the day there are only 12 coaching spots so there is a lot of choice out there. Each squad needs at least 3 HB’s, that’s 36. There are not 36 out there so that’s where the cash goes.

I reckon the first choice HB at most clubs is on twice that of the coach, maybe more.

I’m not justifying it just supply and demand.

5 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Unfair on Duffy imo.  Leigh have started well in a few games but can’t quite sustain it and now, as injuries become another factor, face an even bigger challenge.  

Is there still plenty of money left to buy players? Or is it for another rainy day?

Even any half decent player is signed up for the rest of the season so whoever takes over will just have to work with whats there. Not unless there are some NRL rejects prepared to give it a go in the hope that they get signed up by another Super League club for next season.

coach of leigh required -must be prepared to be on a constant hiding to nothing - personal parking space included exept on tuesdays when its reserved by clothes aid for bin bag drop offs - wage un negotiable 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Not even close, more like 60k plus a car for. British coach. Maybe 100k for an Aussie topped up with rent free house and car and a job for the wife.

Ar the end of the day there are only 12 coaching spots so there is a lot of choice out there. Each squad needs at least 3 HB’s, that’s 36. There are not 36 out there so that’s where the cash goes.

I reckon the first choice HB at most clubs is on twice that of the coach, maybe more.

Do you know that for a fact? I reckon Dave Woods BBC is on significantly more than that and he's not a player or a coach. If that really is the sort of money an SL coach is on, no wonder so many are off to union as soon as they get the chance. 

4 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Its laughable that Duffy seems to be taking the blame. He put together a team that would have been able to compete for promotion from the Championship and then was asked to take that team and sign any cast offs still available probably on inflated contracts to try and perform a miracle. Every game I have watched them in this season it is painfully obvious that physicality wise they are a Championship team and its just men against boys.

I don't read it as "taking the blame", more a case of something isn't working and it needs shaking up. It's tough but that is what RL coaching is like. He will get another position and I imagine he will also get compensated according to his contract.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Bit in retrospect I guess here H but its not a good look; big sinking ship vibe.

Clearly there has been a fallout between Duffy and Beaumont, the debate now centres around what that is over. Did Duffy not agree with the Super League application? Did he feel let down by the lack of signings? Did he not want to have a winless season on his CV? On the other side did Duffy promise Beaumont they could do it and has seriously underdelivered? Does Beaumont believe Duffy, Carvell etc were not up to the job anyway and this was a convenient way to move them out? I don't know which is right or if its another option.

Regardless of all that, from either side, the current results were entirely predictable at the start of the season. That makes this move now, from either party, decidedly odd - unless they've believed their own hype?

I think like you that Leigh should have had a top rate coach under Beaumont at least once, instead of the old boys club they have ended up with.

Did you read the article before this speculation?

There is no fall out whatsoever.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Derek said they were 'Super league ready' so clearly that phrase alone would've put pressure on Duffy to prove it, he hasn't and maybe Degsy still thinks they are and it's Duffy at fault.

It was actually John Duffy himself who used the term "super league ready" Daz. 

We have all said regretful things, of that I'm sure.......

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Do you know that for a fact? I reckon Dave Woods BBC is on significantly more than that and he's not a player or a coach. If that really is the sort of money an SL coach is on, no wonder so many are off to union as soon as they get the chance. 

I’d be surprised if Dave Woods is on a six-figure salary for commenting on a sport the BBC largely ignore.

I agree the money in union is tempting, but the opportunities for a coach compared to a player are very limiting.   You’d have to start off as a specific skill coach such as tackling or attack skills.   Then once you’ve learned the game you could move on to tactics and match management a la Farrell sr.

I reckon the only time you’ll see a British-based RL coach on marquee level salary is when there are several trophies in the cabinet and the first contract is up for renewal.  Maybe Smith at Warrington post-2010, or McDermott at Leeds.

36 minutes ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

It was actually John Duffy himself who used the term "super league ready" Daz. 

We have all said regretful things, of that I'm sure.......

Give us a fully fit squad , or even a bit better than usual injury list and with a couple of games under our belt ( we did play 2 ' warm ups ' which rather helping us ' gel ' just filled the treatment room ) and we probably could compete with the bottom half of SL , instead 6 different HB combinations ( and as Ben Reynolds has a 1 match ban for tripping , it will probably be no 7 in the next match ) and 1 fit prop forward , just doesn't work , how any coach is going to get us working as a team with 17/18 players Christ only knows 

44 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Did you take the comments in the article at face value?

That's cute!

Why believe the comments given by all parties involved when you can just make up something that paints the club and Beaumont in a suitably negative light eh? 

4 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Why believe the comments given by all parties involved when you can just make up something that paints the club and Beaumont in a suitably negative light eh? 

I mean I honestly think this is either from Duffy or Beaumont.

DB's Point of View

Duffy said "yes go for Super League we've got a good enough squad add a couple"(And has been comprehensively proven wrong).

Or 

DB said "this isn't good enough given the squad you have" 

Or

"We're going down this is a good excuse for a clearout including Carvell etc."

Duffy's Point Of View

"I'm in an unwinnable scenario"

Or

"Promised signings haven't materialised"

Or

"I don't want a 20 odd and 0 record on my CV"

I'm not saying either is more likely than the other. Its certainly not a stick to beat Beaumont with, though ultimately for Leigh fans the buck stops with him. However, this set of results was not just predictable, but likely, at the start of the season. Given that, either side departing now is distinctly odd, or at least indicative of unrealistic expectations from one side or both.

If Duffy didn't believe this side could do well in Super League, to the point he was willing to walk 1/3 of the way in, he shouldn't have agreed to start the campaign imo. 

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

DB's Point of View

Duffy said "yes go for Super League we've got a good enough squad add a couple"(And has been comprehensively proven wrong).

Or 

Or

Duffy's Point Of View

Or

Or

I'm not saying either is more likely than the other. Its certainly not a stick to beat Beaumont with, though ultimately for Leigh fans the buck stops with him. However, this set of results was not just predictable, but likely, at the start of the season. Given that, either side departing now is distinctly odd, or at least indicative of unrealistic expectations from one side or both.

If Duffy didn't believe this side could do well in Super League, to the point he was willing to walk 1/3 of the way in, he shouldn't have agreed to start the campaign imo. 

Or it's exactly what both of them said, that a change was needed. It was clearly an amicable separation, how often have you seen a press release for a coach leaving where both parties comment where it wasn't amicable? 

As dire as our seasons gone so far, it isn't over yet and Leigh are still just 2 points behind a Salford team who have just had to turn to Gary Wheeler, a guy with one of the worst injury records in RL, to solve an injury crisis in their centres. Am I saying I think we'll stay up? Absolutely not, but I would be disappointed if Beaumont didn't try everything in his power to save a poor season. It obviously wasn't working under Duffy, who even by his own admission was fairly out of his depth in SL. His recent interviews have been that of a guy clearly thinking the next game will be his last. 

What does give me some confidence in this, is that Beaumont seems to be thinking beyond just this year. Any incoming coach(and certainly one of any quality) is going to want some good guarantees on what next years budget will look like, regardless of the division we are in. For all the money splashed on some very high quality players over his tenure, many of which went on to other SL clubs or even NRL, the coach spot has always been filled by a recent ex player. The club needs some high quality outside eyes to come in and get the playing side of things in order if Leigh ever hope to progress beyond a top championship/yo-yo club.

I find it kind of perverse that the sport I love sets the majority up for failure but it’s the same in most British sport.

he didn’t stand a chance given the cash and time he was allocated.

but hey ho so long as nothing much changes everything’s fine.

14 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

I think your way off, particularly at the top clubs. I've got a recollection from back in the noughties of an interview at Saints (think it was with Mike Rush) about Daniel Anderson and him saying he was the highest paid member of staff and worth every penny.

Given at that time the club had big earners like Long, Cunningham, Pryce & Lyon even £100K seems very low. A salary of £200K plus seems more likely.

Whether Duffy at a club like Leigh was on anything near that remains to be seen, but certainly at the top clubs the coach gets paid a damn sight more. 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

9 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

DB's Point of View

Or 

Or

Duffy's Point Of View

Or

Or

Whoa hang on a minute Tommy.

I would have thought that someone who had to produce a 'dissertation' as part of achieving their scholastic standing, would be more inclined to use and promote 'facts' other than just 'envisage' the proceedings.

Tell me I am wrong but I was under the impression that 'dissertations' must not contain 'speculation'? 

Yes of course you have not penned a dissertation in your reply, but you cannot argue what you have said is nothing other than pure fabrication. I must say you really surprise me it is not what I expect from you.

John Duffy's teams are usually decent with the ball in hand but weak on defence.A change at Leigh may kickstart their season but it will be difficult.Any promoted team will only have players other teams can't fit in or don't want.Only way to stop the Yo Yo effect is to have promotion to S.L. every other year.This gives the promoted team a chance to sign better players for the second season.I think this makes sense so i don't expect many to agree.

Archived