Why aren’t we playing France

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this thread has been done before, multiple times, but agreed I’d prefer us to be playing France than the Exiles (who might also include English players playing in England). I would definitely watch the France game and might even have gone depending where it was being played, but almost certainly won’t bother with the Exiles game even if it’s on tv. 

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I think this thread has been done before, multiple times, but agreed I’d prefer us to be playing France than the Exiles (who might also include English players playing in England). I would definitely watch the France game and might even have gone depending where it was being played, but almost certainly won’t bother with the Exiles game even if it’s on tv. 

It’s needs to be done over and over again until the morons who “run” RL get the message and do it.

And I don’t care if England put 40 points on France to begin with as it’ll be a lot more enjoyable than playing against the all golds superstar trotters or whatever they’re called this time.

3 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Damned incompetence at that.

This is where your meant to say: " Not just madness, absolute madness at that !".  🤪

4 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

In France on bastille day instead of playing against a non-entity team???

Surely it will prepare England better for tough World Cup games better than France would? 

Having said that in a normal year I'd prefer France and ideally I'd like us to play them this year in addition to the All Stars games

14 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Surely it will prepare England better for tough World Cup games better than France would? 

Having said that in a normal year I'd prefer France and ideally I'd like us to play them this year in addition to the All Stars games

What real incentive is there for the All Stars to try hard enough to give England a tough game though, they’re not playing in prep for the WC or for a place in a WC squad, and they’re risking injury. Also I assume the skint RFL have to pay them whereas if we played an actual country in an international they wouldn’t. 

19 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I’d much rather give the English boys a tough workout in the blistering sun in front of 20k hostile French crowd.

I really can't see the Almost Stars putting in that much effort tbh. What exactly is in it for them? I foresee quite a few pulling out of the squad late and wanting a rest. Knowing the RFL, there will be no tangible financial carrot for them to put a stint in.

Am I misremembering but this has been raised before and one of the key problems is that nobody really does sporting events in France on Bastille Day as it's a time for a bit of pomp and circumstance, family time and *absolutely everything being shut*.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

What real incentive is there for the All Stars to try hard enough to give England a tough game though, they’re not playing in prep for the WC or for a place in a WC squad, and they’re risking injury. Also I assume the skint RFL have to pay them whereas if we played an actual country in an international they wouldn’t. 

If you are putting on / promoting a match, You'd need to make a payment to the away side.  

Rather see France being given a chance than the stupid “Exiles” concept.

if France got up and won a game it would be celebrated by many.

What did the 2 wins from 4 games the Exiles won do for the game?
If anything damaged the England Test team brand.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Just now, gingerjon said:

Am I misremembering but this has been raised before and one of the key problems is that nobody really does sporting events in France on Bastille Day as it's a time for a bit of pomp and circumstance, family time and *absolutely everything being shut*.

Not Really, Tour de France is running as usual during Bastille Day

15 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Yeah to get the combination team to turn up and get changed would require a certain sized payment to a player......

And then for them to put in a decent shift you'd need a mega win bonus on top. 

This would need to be £5k per man to play and a 5k win bonus. Do you think the RFL is going to offer those payments? If it it £2k or something then most of your Maloney's and Reynolds will be taking a rest.

1 hour ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

I’d much rather give the English boys a tough workout in the blistering sun in front of 20k hostile French crowd.

Well the sun & the crowd is just about all the workout they'd receive, they certainly wont get it from a pi$$ poor French team. The overseas players in SL will offer a far tougher game for England and give them better preparation for the WC than a 50-60pt walkover of the French.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Even if we insist on England playing the Exiles, England Knights should be playing France in France. And Wales v Ireland, it’d be a great build up to the World Cup and give UK based players a chance to stake a claim in the World Cup squads.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

it's a time for a bit of pomp and circumstance, family time and *absolutely everything being shut*.

They have 364 other days per year like that too. :kolobok_wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived