Why aren’t we playing France

1 hour ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Slightly going off track but not really but does anybody else remember England playing France at the Gateshead international stadium in the mid 90’s and Emlyn Hughes was the sky sports studio guest??

Can't remember seeing that but didnt Emlyn Hughes dad play for Workington Town in the 1950s

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, yipyee said:

Yeah whatever, is that the weak french who have been beating england at HT (or close to) the last 2 times we have played?

Scotland were beating us at Coventry? And drew with NZ after leading against them.. oh they are too weak as well, lets combine nations or play a made up team then.. load of codswallope

Well there you go then, you have just emphasised why Mr Wane is wanting to test his charges against the strongest opposition possible, a Tier 1 nation should not be having such performances against them from teams that are of a much lower standard. Just common sense, not codswallop.

It may be England get beat in the two games pencilled in, but every coach will tell you they learn more in a defeat than in a victory.

As I said in the post above, this is Englands preperation not France's.

We should have been playing at least two of Wales, Scotland, Ireland and France this year ahead of the world cup. No ifs or buts.

I wouldn't be advocating Bastille Day though by the way. It is a bit odd to assume the French people need a few northern RL types to come up with some activities for them to do on their national holiday. They will already be very busy seeing family and friends, or whatever else they like to do.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

12 minutes ago, Route66 said:

Can't remember seeing that but didnt Emlyn Hughes dad play for Workington Town in the 1950s

Yep Fred Hughes played for both Town and Barrow, Emlyn being born in Barrow when his dad was playing there.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

France are the Warrington of international RL, often flattering to deceive, and very rarely does the whole equal the sum of its parts. It’d be nice to see them achieve some of their undoubted potential at international level.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

42 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:
35 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

We should have been playing at least two of Wales, Scotland, Ireland and France this year ahead of the world cup. No ifs or buts.

I wouldn't be advocating Bastille Day though by the way. It is a bit odd to assume the French people need a few northern RL types to come up with some activities for them to do on their national holiday. They will already be very busy seeing family and friends, or whatever else they like to do.

Bastille Day would be my pick. Which frenchmen wouldn't want a bunch of English hooligans get drunk on there national day.

1 hour ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Bastille Day would be my pick. Which frenchmen wouldn't want a bunch of English hooligans get drunk on there national day.

I imagine they’d want a repeat of the action in Marseille in 1998 and 2016, who wouldn’t want that brought to their town. 

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Well there you go then, you have just emphasised why Mr Wane is wanting to test his charges against the strongest opposition possible, a Tier 1 nation should not be having such performances against them from teams that are of a much lower standard. Just common sense, not codswallop.

It may be England get beat in the two games pencilled in, but every coach will tell you they learn more in a defeat than in a victory.

As I said in the post above, this is Englands preperation not France's.

Ha you dismiss the french they seem to be sweeping everyone to the side in the championship AND SL.

Oh and we cant play NZ as they drew with Scotland so they are inferior, Australia got beat by Tonga as did NZ so we should refuse to play anyone as they are all poor opponents!

So should Saints refuse to play hull on Saturday as they are far inferior opponents?

On 02/06/2021 at 18:47, HawkMan said:

We're not playing France for the same reason the England soccer team tonight are playing Austria and not San Marino or Liechtenstein as a Euro warm up. You want to learn something from warm up games and give the players a reasonable competitive game. France don't fit the bill,  simples!

Comparing France to san marino 🤣

Should be on the stage you!

Archived