More World Cup partners come on board

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Both these brands are owned by PepsiCo ain't they? Meaning the giant has taken two spots for two brands instead of opting for just 1 sponsor spot, that's good. 

Phew, after your first sentence I thought you were going to say that’s a bad thing (a natural assumption on the TRL forum). 

1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

Should have a RLWC every year. 

Every two would be perfect, I assume the only reason other sports don’t is because they have other big international events to fill the void. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Phew, after your first sentence I thought you were going to say that’s a bad thing (a natural assumption on the TRL forum). 

No, was looking for the positive in that, obviously there will be certain time slots on the pitchside led and stuff tied to each partner. 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Every two would be perfect, I assume the only reason other sports don’t is because they have other big international events to fill the void. 

It's just a 4 Yr thing with all sports, we should be the ones to break the mold. Olympics and FIFA world cup probably don't want to go up against each other, footballs hot big continental cups to fit into its cycle and the cricket, union, league look for the empty-ish slots in the cycle. 

13 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

It's just a 4 Yr thing with all sports, we should be the ones to break the mold. Olympics and FIFA world cup probably don't want to go up against each other, footballs hot big continental cups to fit into its cycle and the cricket, union, league look for the empty-ish slots in the cycle. 

Union also have six nations every year for people who like international Union, and cricket have various world cups i think (?), and as you say the euros, Copa America etc fill in for the World Cup. We on the other hand have nowt in-between world cups, such a shame. 

3 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Both these brands are owned by PepsiCo ain't they? Meaning the giant has taken two spots for two brands instead of opting for just 1 sponsor spot, that's good. 

The deal is with Britvic rather than PepsiCo and Britvic will have ‘soft drinks’ rights so could align as many of there brands as they like really so not two slots as such. 

It does feel relatively late for a deal and with it being with the distributor rather than brand owner I’d be surprised to see any brand led content. However, to joe public seeing Pepsi on board adds credibility for the tournament and I think is a coup for RLWC. And for Britvic they get access to the M62 audience which will be a key growth area for them to target their brands.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

I guess the fortunate / unfortunate thing with how League does international events is brands like BritVic can come on close to tournament kick off and arguably not have missed many of the marketing opportunities.

It's not like say FIFA World Cup or the Olympics where there are often years of build up events for brands to cash in on.

Now I'm not sure if BritVic's relationship with PepsiCo is a bit like Coca Cola Amatil (Now CCEP) and The Coca Cola Company, but if it is, then PepsiCo will have had visibility and buy into this deal, and arguably if they are going to do anything like branded cans, in-supermarket activations, then it's going to be BritVic who will lead that.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Having more frequent world cups would be a great way to ruin the product! Totally wrong way to go. Instead, build a proper schedule around it. It's not rocket science. Very easy to have an ashes series every four years and a four nations every four years, along with other series, built up to be meaningful events in a well organised cycle. The world cup is currently international rugby league's only property of note precisely because we haven't spent the last 12 years stuffing around with it!

3 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

I guess the fortunate / unfortunate thing with how League does international events is brands like BritVic can come on close to tournament kick off and arguably not have missed many of the marketing opportunities.

It's not like say FIFA World Cup or the Olympics where there are often years of build up events for brands to cash in on.

Now I'm not sure if BritVic's relationship with PepsiCo is a bit like Coca Cola Amatil (Now CCEP) and The Coca Cola Company, but if it is, then PepsiCo will have had visibility and buy into this deal, and arguably if they are going to do anything like branded cans, in-supermarket activations, then it's going to be BritVic who will lead that.

Britvic and PepsiCo is similar to CCEP and TCCC.  The more likely activation in this scenario would be the in-supermarket type as opposed to on pack.

As a comparison the Monster sponsorship of England RL is by Monster rather than CCEP (the distributor).

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

And another:

We can announce today, June 7th 2021 that Selco Builders Warehouse is the latest official tournament partner to join the Rugby League World Cup 2021 squad.

Selco, one of the UK’s leading builders merchants, has 70 branches across the UK and has been serving tradespeople since 1895, coincidently the year Rugby League was formed.

Recently announced as the National Builders Merchant of the Year (51+ branches), each Selco branch stocks over 15,000 trade products, with many more available from the company’s website (www.selcobw.com).

As part of the agreement, Selco will receive extensive marketing rights for the tournament, including tickets, brand exposure at all matches, digital and social content, an exclusive Selco Builders Warehouse award and player appearances for in-branch events.

https://www.rlwc2021.com/article/306/selco-builders-warehouse-unveiled-as-new-tournament-sponsor

21 minutes ago, Damien said:

And another:

We can announce today, June 7th 2021 that Selco Builders Warehouse is the latest official tournament partner to join the Rugby League World Cup 2021 squad.

Selco, one of the UK’s leading builders merchants, has 70 branches across the UK and has been serving tradespeople since 1895, coincidently the year Rugby League was formed.

Recently announced as the National Builders Merchant of the Year (51+ branches), each Selco branch stocks over 15,000 trade products, with many more available from the company’s website (www.selcobw.com).

As part of the agreement, Selco will receive extensive marketing rights for the tournament, including tickets, brand exposure at all matches, digital and social content, an exclusive Selco Builders Warehouse award and player appearances for in-branch events.

https://www.rlwc2021.com/article/306/selco-builders-warehouse-unveiled-as-new-tournament-sponsor

Good news, though no doubt someone will claim the are just a downmarket version of Jewsons and I'm strangely disappointed the statement doesn't make reference to how this sponsorship will help build strong foundations for the game as part of the RLWC2021 legacy.

Think Selco sponsored Bronco's a couple of years ago so they have previous connection with RL.

1 minute ago, Whippet13 said:

Good news, though no doubt someone will claim the are just a downmarket version of Jewsons and I'm strangely disappointed the statement doesn't make reference to how this sponsorship will help build strong foundations for the game as part of the RLWC2021 legacy.

Think Selco sponsored Bronco's a couple of years ago so they have previous connection with RL.

My way home has never been blocked by a Selco truck only a Jewsons one so I'm happy.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

40 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

I just hope that the Sky tv drop in contrast to the fta tv ratings, commercial and blue chip sponsors makes the game in Europe realize internationals need to be what we build around. 

And also the NRL, a key part of the post-WC review should be to highlight the commercial and growth opportunities of professionally marketed and regular top level International RL.

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Don't care about obsessing over whether Aussies play ball. Rest of us should be looking to build an annual 4 nations tourney anyway. Eng Fra Wales and Jam  (If you can get Kiwis in instead of Wales or Jam lets do 

Has an International calendar been announced for after the WC?

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Don't care about obsessing over whether Aussies play ball. Rest of us should be looking to build an annual 4 nations tourney anyway. Eng Fra Wales and Jam  (If you can get Kiwis in instead of Wales or Jam lets do so)

It's not obsessing, the SL and NRL are the two big RL supporter, player and funding power bases - a joined up approach is needed.

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The fact we are seeing proper 'sponsors' being announced gives me more confidence that it may happen this year. 

My understanding is a final decision by the end of the month. I cannot see it not happening, the only question is will some antipodean players cry off. Even if they do, the nations will still compete.

Having Australia involved in any future tournaments is nice, but as the last Four Nations showed, New Zealand and even Scotland attract strong audiences.

In fact, you could arguably say any RL international not relegated to the Red Button can pretty comfortably draw 800K and above on BBC, with those involving England of course drawing larger audiences.

image_d6f40f72-02e8-492e-81bf-af89bd09268120200302_080131.jpg.bc3b22efdbd03daa9de87c259540bd5a.jpg

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Archived