Sat 5th Jun: Women's Challenge Cup Final: St Helens v York City Knights KO 11.15 (TV)

Who will win?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • York City Knights

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/21 at 10:45

16 minutes ago, bromleybulldog said:

I started out watching this and really wanted it to be good but have to say I switched off at half time. There was enthusiasm aplenty and some well taken tries but the level of basic skills  (catching and passing)  did rather leave a lot to be desired. Understand that it was hot, the ball might have been slippery, it was a final, so nerves may have been involved but I was really disappointed in the game.

Out of interest, what is the minimum standard of Rugby League that you will tolerate?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Out of interest, what is the minimum standard of Rugby League that you will tolerate?

I would prefer to watch games where at least some sets reached the sixth tackle without a handling error. The first half was not a great advert for the women's game.

23 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Ref called audibly what each restart call was for, "hand on the ball", "not clearing the ruck" etc.

Followed by a wake-the-dead blast on the foghorn.

In what way is that "underhand and sneaky"?

For me it's the random nature of the decision to penalise. It may well be a perfectly justified penalty but then so were 50% of the previous plays. I prefer the S.R.  to the full penalty but they seem to come a bit too easy for me. I quite like rugby apart from the officiating and the wrestle and the same teams winning and the....

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

Some sensitive bunnies on here:)

Well I will give it one big rap that most would seem to look like the lipstick variety of rugby players as opposed to the England Women's Rugby Union team (I had to sit though a match once at Darlington a few years ago) where the majority seemed to be Timberland boot wearing man haters:)))

Errrmm... To all the critics... As a player in the fledgling Women's RL some 30 years back and a veteran of some 25 years service to the game.. If the women's game had been fully supported from the start, not just by fans but by the Sports Hierarchy instead of being treated like some pyriah and the scurge of RL then standards would be much more advanced... But then all you mysoginistic bar stewards would have nowt to moan about.. Just saying like... 🤔🤔🤔

1 minute ago, Rach said:

Errrmm... To all the critics... As a player in the fledgling Women's RL some 30 years back and a veteran of some 25 years service to the game.. If the game had been fully supported from the start, not just by fans but by the Sports Hierarchy instead of being treated like some pyriah then standards would be much more advanced... But then all you mysoginistic bar stewards would have nowt to moan about.. Just saying like... 🤔🤔🤔

At least, based on this mostly positive thread, the Piers Morgan wannabees are in the minority, however often they post.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

Congratulations to all involved in a very enjoyable game.

None of these ladies are professional most having to train after a long days work and others have family commitments.

Thanks to the BBC for the coverage hopefully the game will go from strength to strength.

According to the Giants captain, they don't even get reimbursed travel costs to get to games, especially the ones that are played in one venue, such as at Victoria Park etc.

4 hours ago, Chris22 said:

There's something about women playing sport that seems to rile people and I cannot figure out why.

It's not the same level of quality of the men's game. But that's probably because the players are amateurs who give up their time to play the sport. And they have only been playing even at this level for a couple of years with a year out due to the pandemic.

I saw a comment on Twitter before that you can tell which players are the most experienced and I agreed. With time, more high quality players will develop and the product will improve.

Saying that, St Helens scored some classy tries. The Gaskin cut out pass was submline, as was Cunningham's ball onto (I think?) Rudge, who hit a great line before half time.

The only thing stranger than people who get annoyed at women playing sport are those who go out of their way to criticise and belittle them. If you aren't interested, you could always avoid it? A bit radical I know...

This came up on the previous thread where it was more or less said women were rubbish at playing rugby league so shouldn't be allowed to be able to get better at it.

But as I stated on that thread, it's a different game, same sport but a different game, you wouldn't compare wheelchair RL to women's RL or Junior RL to PDRL, they're the same sport but totally different games.

Yet some blokes seem to think because they aren't as good as the professional men then they shouldn't be allowed to play.

10 minutes ago, meast said:

This came up on the previous thread where it was more or less said women were rubbish at playing rugby league so shouldn't be allowed to be able to get better at it.

But as I stated on that thread, it's a different game, same sport but a different game, you wouldn't compare wheelchair RL to women's RL or Junior RL to PDRL, they're the same sport but totally different games.

Yet some blokes seem to think because they aren't as good as the professional men then they shouldn't be allowed to play.

Exactly 😁😁

What next you critisise Under 8s Minis or Learning Disability RL as it has not got the intensity of SL...??? 

But it's fine to be offensive about the women's game... 

Seriously...? 

9 minutes ago, Rach said:

Exactly Meast has it spot on  😁😁

What next you critisise Under 8s Minis or Learning Disability RL as it has not got the intensity of SL...??? 

But it's fine to be offensive about the women's game... 

Seriously...? 

4 hours ago, bromleybulldog said:

I would prefer to watch games where at least some sets reached the sixth tackle without a handling error. The first half was not a great advert for the women's game.

And are you saying that every set of six is perfect. in every SL / Championship / League 1 game??? 

Just asking like.. for a friend... 

4 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Some sensitive bunnies on here:)

Well I will give it one big rap that most would seem to look like the lipstick variety of rugby players as opposed to the England Women's Rugby Union team (I had to sit though a match once at Darlington a few years ago) where the majority seemed to be Timberland boot wearing man haters:)))

The sensitive bunnies are, as an example, posters who performatively don’t watch.

But do go back to knocking one out over the beach volleyball like a real bloke.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 04/06/2021 at 05:17, Moove said:

Good luck ladies, the second semi the other week was a great watch so looking forward to this. Just a shame there's such a big gap between the end of this game and the kick off of the first men's one. I don't imagine there'll be many wanting to hang around for an hour and a half when you can't go out and back in, especially with kids.

I would imagine it was for the scenario of extra time

34 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I would love to see tickets for rugby league in London match that of female beach volleyball which were fetching upto 1K each during the London 2012 Olympics:)

Not true.

Irrelevant.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived