Sat 5 - Sun 6 Jun: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread

West Wales Raiders v Barrow Raiders

Doncaster v London Skolars 
Hunslet v Rochdale Hornets
North Wales Crusaders v Coventry Bears 
Workington Town
v Keighley Cougars

Really looking forward to Cru. v Bears.  A good match up and genuine chance for Bears to keep the  winning habit. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, dead man inc said:

Are these players that have recent left SL/Champ/disbanded reserves/academies (apologies for my ignorance) & are they at uni in Coventry?

All these guys have played a number of games in SL, Championship and L1. Over half of the Bears squad is locally based players ie. Located within the midlands (this includes Peter Ryan an Irish player based at Cov Uni). There's also a group from Hull and a couple of others from elsewhere. A number of players have come through the student game 

52 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Tough going for West Wales at the moment. No Rangi Chase or (ahem) Henson today. While they have no doubt improved think it'll be a tough season again. 

They’ve signed a player in his late thirties who has never played the sport, and a maverick half back whose best form was a decade ago. Other than that it’s the same squad of players from previous seasons. They won’t win a game all season. I wish them well, but bloody hell they must have some mentally strong staff, because getting turned over week in week out isn’t fun. 

1 hour ago, Moscow01 said:

They’ve signed a player in his late thirties who has never played the sport, and a maverick half back whose best form was a decade ago. Other than that it’s the same squad of players from previous seasons. They won’t win a game all season. I wish them well, but bloody hell they must have some mentally strong staff, because getting turned over week in week out isn’t fun. 

To be fair Rangi Chase has been really good for them this year. Doing it on his own though. They've got some good players and definitely have improved but it's very difficult once you're in a rut to get out of it. 

3 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

To be fair Rangi Chase has been really good for them this year. Doing it on his own though. They've got some good players and definitely have improved but it's very difficult once you're in a rut to get out of it. 

Hasn't hung around for long tho has he. 

A good win for Crusaders after most people were tipping Bears to triumph. Some great tries scored in glorious weather and that ground looks good. We’ll be able to judge ourselves next week as Drakeford has kindly allowed us to attend a match from tomorrow. 

4 minutes ago, clwydianrange said:

A good win for Crusaders after most people were tipping Bears to triumph. Some great tries scored in glorious weather and that ground looks good. We’ll be able to judge ourselves next week as Drakeford has kindly allowed us to attend a match from tomorrow. 

Hope you have thanked old turtle neck personally

“It is not revenge we want for poor people, but happiness; indeed, what revenge can be taken for all the thousands of years of the sufferings of the poor?”

14 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Very frustrating from the Bears today who actually played well at times. Crusaders were excellent today though especially defensively and were very clinical seizing on Bears errors to pile on the points 

Your mistakes definitely cost you but you’ve got some good players there. I was particularly impressed with Scott and Sherratt. 

3 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

4th down to 9th have the same record of 2-3. Everyone beating each other which is great for the league and means the playoffs could be wide open 

Quite happy tbh. I've not seen Barrow yet but I think Workington and Doncaster are head and shoulders above the rest.

2 minutes ago, Rob Nash said:

Quite happy tbh. I've not seen Barrow yet but I think Workington and Doncaster are head and shoulders above the rest.

🤫 Shush Rob, nothing to see here😉🙃

“It is not revenge we want for poor people, but happiness; indeed, what revenge can be taken for all the thousands of years of the sufferings of the poor?”

Archived