Sat 5 Jun: CCSF: Hull FC v St Helens KO 14:30 (TV)

Who will win?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull FC
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/21 at 14:00

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Its not possible to  differentiate between something that did happen and something  that didn't.  

Hypothetically, if you wrote the rule that says you can’t score when a player gets injured, what’s your interpretation if a player drops a high ball because he hurts his arm/fingers. What’s your justification, and how do you define injured? Because I’m not sure it can be done fairly.  What about if Griffin had plain dropped it and claimed injury? 

It was awful bad luck, not awful behaviour from Saints.

9 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I don’t think it was instinct. He was in obvious pain for a bit and threw the ball away. It wasn’t an injury in the tackle and a loose ball. Ref could have stopped play

My point was that it happened quickly. Saints then had a couple of minutes reflection on the advantage (perhaps unfair) they had taken and could have made amends from the kick off.

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Same. Think I might turn off at halftime. 

same here - the coverage is rubbish- the game is not great for various reasons

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Hypothetically, if you wrote the rule that says you can’t score when a player gets injured, what’s your interpretation if a player drops a high ball because he hurts his arm/fingers. What’s your justification, and how do you define injured? Because I’m not sure it can be done fairly.  What about if Griffin had plain dropped it and claimed injury? 

It was awful bad luck, not awful behaviour from Saints.

Wrong, just wrong.

1 minute ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Hypothetically, if you wrote the rule that says you can’t score when a player gets injured, what’s your interpretation if a player drops a high ball because he hurts his arm/fingers. What’s your justification, and how do you define injured? Because I’m not sure it can be done fairly.  What about if Griffin had plain dropped it and claimed 

Totally different scenario.  Every player could see Griffin was badly injured 

Griffin shouldn’t be throwing the ball away or none of that happens . Secondly Fages can’t instantly diagnose an injury , it’s split second . It’s tough but that’s the way it is until the ref interferes 

17 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Saints did absolutely nothing wrong there 

To the laws of the game no, to the image of the sport and in the name of sportsmanship it is a disgrace.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On the Fages try.  I was going to post that Griffin should have taken the ball to the ground with him but I didn't.  Interesting that the guys in the studio - ex pro players - have said he should have kept hold of the ball.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Good half in the end from us. Thought we were struggling and making a lot of errors with and without the ball in the first fifteen but weren’t really threatened by Hull inside our twenty metres. We finished the half better and improved as it went on, through our own hard work but also through the bad luck of Hull losing Griffin and Lane. 

I think Hull have lost their heads a bit and probably need this half time break. I expect a reaction in the second half even if they are down to two on the bench. 

2 minutes ago, The Magic Rat said:

Totally different scenario.  Every player could see Griffin was badly injured 

So every time a ball goes loose in a tackle if the player claims injury you don’t award the knock on?   How can you possibly define a rule for this scenario? If the players team mates claim to have seen him injured? 

1 minute ago, Padge said:

To the laws of the game no, to the image of the sport and in the name of sportsmanship it is a disgrace.

That’s your opinion , you’re usually advocating the laws funnily enough 

1 minute ago, Padge said:

Absolutely!

Disgraceful lack of sportsmanship on show to the entire nation. Disgusting that it hasn't been corrected retrospectively by allowing Hull a free run to the line.

I appreciate the difference of opinion here. It is a tough one.

For my money, at the time, I felt Fages did everything right. Having watched it again at half-time, I think I have changed my mind. 

Players know how tough they and their opponents are. The fact that one of them appeared to be in so much pain as to not be able to hold the ball, with nobody tackling him, gives me a sense that this was a particularly unique situation. The games should have stopped out of respect to a professional who was quite clearly in serious trouble. The problem is, it wasn't the ref's job to stop it, and Fages quite rightly wanted to score a try.

There was a great opportunity there for some heart-warming sportsmanship and we missed it, but I don;t think anyone is necessarily to 'blame' for this.

Just now, DavidM said:

This is the thing. You play to the rules, not make them up. Otherwise why have the rules.

I’d like to see the same argument from fans if that Fages try was to win a cup final or grand final in the 80th minute for their own team.    Or would there be a caveat in this new rule that says it’s okay if it’s the match winning score...?

My biggest issue with the Fages try is the way he jumped up and screamed his delight like he'd just scored a worldie. Would've preferred to see him just get up and walk back. Nothing to be proud of in scoring that.

4 minutes ago, Padge said:

Quite hypocritical of you considering you often push the laws as the be all and end all.

As a fan the perspective is different to a player. All I can honestly say is I hope those 6 points aren't the difference. Either Hull win or Saints win by more than 6. Until neither of those things happen it's moot. It was unsportsmanlike and gives ammo against the game but let's discuss that once the game has finished.

4 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

So every time a ball goes loose in a tackle if the player claims injury you don’t award the knock on?   How can you possibly define a rule for this scenario? If the players team mates claim to have seen him injured? 

The ball didn't go loose in the tackle.  It was plain for everyone to see that Griffin was badly injured before he released the ball. Something you very rarely see in RL. You don't need to change any rules, Fages did nothing wrong but it was still the wrong thing to do. 

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

And I said no laws were broken, Fage was within his rights to take the score, he was also in a position to take a tackle instead.

Awful display of bad sportsmanship not law breaking.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 minute ago, BringbackGB said:

The most egregious act of sportsmanship I've ever seen.  Contrast what Fages did with Makinson's reaction.  Fages should be utterly ashamed of himself. 

Every single rl player is taught to play to the whistle from a kid, I bet 99% of all players would have done the same thing as Fages, as seen by the ex pros on commentary today.

Archived