Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

That's where my ancestors came from but they were already in OZ by 1850. I imagine their old hovel would have been converted into a pig sty by the time that map was drawn.

Looked up a few places, including where I live now. No building there, but the old map shows the dotted outlines of the side streets where the house I'm in would shortly be built.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Slightly peeved that about a third of the village where my dad lives is off the edge of the old map.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

43 minutes ago, JonM said:

You might like this website- you can choose from a large set of old maps, and do things like overlay them with modern maps and so on.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14&lat=53.00010&lon=-1.17170&layers=11&b=1

That's my weekend's plans gone to pot, then. So many toys to play with on that site! :kolobok_biggrin:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

That's my weekend's plans gone to pot, then. So many toys to play with on that site! :kolobok_biggrin:

I have a number of other map websites for wasting days with - that's only one of them 🙂

On 03/06/2021 at 13:05, Futtocks said:

Looked up a few places, including where I live now. No building there, but the old map shows the dotted outlines of the side streets where the house I'm in would shortly be built.

Quite interesting on one of the maps quite how much of around here is built by the 1880s. But what is now a total back road (and private, love running there to annoy the natives) is given prominence as a main thoroughfare and what is now the main road isn't there but, like yours, the outline of the tracks is there - the road appears to have been built on what was already emerging as a natural divider.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a couple of old maps of the West Riding.  The area around Clitheroe was all Yorkshire.  Clitheroe is like an isthmus surrounded on three sides by the West Riding.  Clitheroe BTW is spelled Clederoe on the map.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

9 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I have a couple of old maps of the West Riding.  The area around Clitheroe was all Yorkshire.  Clitheroe is like an isthmus surrounded on three sides by the West Riding.  Clitheroe BTW is spelled Clederoe on the map.

As soon as the "comedy" show The Clitheroe Kid first broadcast, the people of Yorkshire were more than happy to disown the town.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 hours ago, Trojan said:

There were some odd things in the old counties - Lancashire north of the sands being one, the two parts of Flintshire being completely separated from each other by Denbighshire was another. Before 1844, there were hundreds of exclaves round the country - villages or country houses that were in one county but surrounded by another.

Even today, Newmarket is in Suffolk, but almost entirely surrounded by Cambridgeshire. It cannot be reached by any right of way from the rest of Suffolk without passing through Cambs.

On 05/06/2021 at 06:49, Bleep1673 said:

About 15 years ago, I was wandering around the market at Covent Garden, and found a print of a map of Manchester & Salford dated 1895 which I framed.

It does show a race course just north of the Salford docks, which I presume to be New Barnes, where the original Salford Rugby Club were based?

Slightly disappointed that the Google Earth Street View doesn't appear to work on it though.

Now that would have been interesting.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Archived