I have not got a clue!

Just back in the UK and i suppose we need a car.. whats the best option, lease or buy one a year old or so?

I have a toddler, so would be looking with that in mind. I also dont really have a budget, but would like to keep it all 'reasonable'.

Any help would be ace as i just dont know where to start other than going to a garave and speaking to a fella in a ###### suit

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

I think the online car magazines still give the best car buying advice these days with video reviews of what is best in class, best for your budget etc.  They should at least help narrow it down to a shortlist.

Once you’ve identified that then you may want to arrange a test drive at a local dealer.

After you’ve listened to their best offers be prepared to go away and see online who can offer you the best deal, it is a buyer’s market in many regards. 

Massive shortage of new cars at the moment due to the worldwide shortage of chips for the onboard ECUs. Meaning used car prices are rising massively particularly on “nearly new” ones. I was looking to sell one of my cars recently, an 18 month old AMG, WeBuyAnyCar offered me £4K more than I paid for it originally. I ordered a new Range Rover in early March, was told delivery would be this month, just been advised it’ll now be November at the earliest.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

5 hours ago, MattSantos said:

I have not got a clue!

Just back in the UK and i suppose we need a car.. whats the best option, lease or buy one a year old or so?

I have a toddler, so would be looking with that in mind. I also dont really have a budget, but would like to keep it all 'reasonable'.

Any help would be ace as i just dont know where to start other than going to a garave and speaking to a fella in a ###### suit

Going on what @Derwentsaid, there is a really weird mix of glut and famine in the market at the minute.

For example, I'm now leasing a new Hyundai Tucson. It costs, and we got quotes for both, over £300pcm less than we were quoted for a nearly new Hyundai Tucson. Reason being that the pandemic had ruined the flow of sales and they needed to get them (the properly new ones) off the forecourt for the 2021 models.

The advice you've got from @JohnMis sound.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 04/06/2021 at 11:11, gingerjon said:

Going on what @Derwentsaid, there is a really weird mix of glut and famine in the market at the minute.

For example, I'm now leasing a new Hyundai Tucson. It costs, and we got quotes for both, over £300pcm less than we were quoted for a nearly new Hyundai Tucson. Reason being that the pandemic had ruined the flow of sales and they needed to get them (the properly new ones) off the forecourt for the 2021 models.

The advice you've got from @JohnMis sound.

We got quoted 150 a month for a 2 and half year old Tucson. Great car. I asked a fair few years ago, a few mechanics what's best to buy. Hyundai and Kia were tops. Ironically we went with a Nissan Note. However Nissan Qashqui come highly recommended.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

We got quoted 150 a month for a 2 and half year old Tucson. Great car. I asked a fair few years ago, a few mechanics what's best to buy. Hyundai and Kia were tops. Ironically we went with a Nissan Note. However Nissan Qashqui come highly recommended.

Things don't seem to have changed much in those passing years, M M. I am looking for a car at the moment. In my case the only consideration, for medical reasons, is it must be an automatic and comfortable on my back.  My good mate, a mechanic, recommends the Hyundai Tucson, the Kia Sportage or a Nissan Quashqai, and my neighbours son, a Ford mechanic, also recommends the same three. 

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

Hyundai and Kia are the same group , but yes my mate a mechanic with his own place has told me they are the easiest to fix , so I'm looking at getting a Dodge Nitro just to keep him busy 😁

been a KIA driver for a long time now and never had any bother at all, the kia ceed diesel is bullet proof. am a changed man now,lol, anyone thinking of changing your car go test drive a Skoda yeti 1.2 tsi 7 speed auto,there awesome, every toy you need as standard.super smooth drive,and the power from the turbo is unreal,towed my caravan up all the big hills to whitby like it wernt on the back,(in 4th and 5th) for the size of the car i have never driven a car like it,and i were in motor trade for 35 years.

p.s  volvos are for old duffers.

12 hours ago, Exiled Townie said:

Things don't seem to have changed much in those passing years, M M. I am looking for a car at the moment. In my case the only consideration, for medical reasons, is it must be an automatic and comfortable on my back.  My good mate, a mechanic, recommends the Hyundai Tucson, the Kia Sportage or a Nissan Quashqai, and my neighbours son, a Ford mechanic, also recommends the same three. 

I'm 2,000 miles into a new Tucson and I would unequivocally recommend it. (For comparison, we had a Ford Kuga before and I would never have done the same with that).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I'm 2,000 miles into a new Tucson and I would unequivocally recommend it. (For comparison, we had a Ford Kuga before and I would never have done the same with that).

Yeah. Ours is good. Shed load of boot space ideal for my markets and carboots. Our lass isn't happy as she's paying for it. 😒😃

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Just seen a green 1971 Ford Capri 2000 Mk1 online. Total class but the £16000 price tag could be a stumbling block. Apart from that, I’m all set to get it. 

It'll still be for sale next year , absolute loads of classics for sale , not many sell 

On 04/06/2021 at 07:47, Derwent said:

Massive shortage of new cars at the moment due to the worldwide shortage of chips for the onboard ECUs. Meaning used car prices are rising massively particularly on “nearly new” ones. I was looking to sell one of my cars recently, an 18 month old AMG, WeBuyAnyCar offered me £4K more than I paid for it originally. I ordered a new Range Rover in early March, was told delivery would be this month, just been advised it’ll now be November at the earliest.

I find this interesting because I thought there had been a huge decline in new car sales due to the pandemic with furlough and working from home. I know over the last year I've been contacted fairly regularly from a couple of dealers, who I have bought from before, trying to sell me new cars as they have a lot to shift.

52 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I still like that but nowhere near as much as the early Capris. I was also riding in one in Ireland in 1971, exactly the same as the one I saw advertised. So it's definitely a sign.

My other half says they are horrible, so she may have to go. 

If you make it look like an accident you can buy both.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

I find this interesting because I thought there had been a huge decline in new car sales due to the pandemic with furlough and working from home. I know over the last year I've been contacted fairly regularly from a couple of dealers, who I have bought from before, trying to sell me new cars as they have a lot to shift.

They have stock of pre-built ones but they may not be the right colour, trim or have the optional extras you want. If you want to spec your own then it’s a factory build order and they are experiencing huge delays. Even on cars as uniquitous as a Toyota Yaris - my wife recently ordered a new hybrid Yaris and the delivery estimate is end of September.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Archived