Elite 1 Play-offs

This weekend

Quarter Finals

Limoux v Avignon  Saturday KO 2.30pm GMT  * https://treizemondial.fr/elite-1-barrage-limoux-vs-avignon-en-direct-video/

St Esteve v Villeneuve/Lot Sunday KO 4.00pm GMT

Both ties to be streamed

Should be two exciting ties. Limoux after a slow start are in the ascendency. Turned over comp leaders Carcassonne at Domec recently. Avignon had a good second half helped by late comers in Pat Moran and Tony Gigot. Both gone now elsewhere. Louis Jouffret fit again will help their cause.

Dragons reservers have lost their last three games. But competitive in both. Selection will be crucial for them. Villenueve/Lot finishing well after their win against St Esteve in the last home game of the season.

Carcassonne and Lezignan awaiting the winners next weekend at home.  The Canaris top of the competition from the off have lost their way a bit. Injuries to key players Lucas Albert and Vavae Tuilagi will be missed. Limoux the only side to win at Carcassonne maybe waiting. FCL lie in wait of the other tie. The Catalans out scored Lezignan the other week 4 tries to 3 in a close tussle.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the catalans don't load their team with dragons squad players i can see villeneuve winning this. Janzac knows the catalans system pretty well as it's quite  close to his system and the dragons super league side now. I think limoux will be too strong defensively for Avignon especially now pat and gigot have left. 

Dragons reserves include Matthieu Laguerre and Joe Chan in their selection tomorrow. The former after two impressive performances against Wigan and Saints the last two weeks while the latter appeared in the loss to Warrington in the Challenge Cup semi final.

PS- add in too Jordan Dezaire who played at Wakefield Trinity in Round 5.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

Certainly being played with some passion 

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

2 hours ago, The Daddy said:

I can't find the stream for the Leopards Dragons game 

Found this on You Tube.

Limoux 22-24 Avignon

First up-set in game one!

SOA s captain Arnaud held the visiters together through out. Was a big ask after Moran and Gigot had moved on. Jouffret significant in their victory. Limoux's Australian half-back Levido two-sided performance. Binned 10 mins from the break and allowed Avignon to take the lead for the first time and later scored a fine individual try to put the Grizzlies ahead once again. Just 3 minutes from the end SOA grabbed it. A towering punt landed  on the Limoux line and the flying winger Rey claimed the ball to win it at the death. Great start for the play-offs!

Today in the Perpignan suburbs of St Esteve the other quarter-final 3rd place v 6th. The Dragons reserves will line-up with half-a-dozen of the extended French World Cup group whilst visitors Villeneuve will only have one in their captain Lasvenes at full back. Their other nomination centre Marguerite not on the team sheet for this one.

St Esteve have put Joe Chan and Laguerre in the centres with Flovie and Franco on the wings. The Aquitaine side with lots of experience with the likes of Robin, Godinet, Masselot, Pettyborne and Mika could well be up for this one though. In their coach OlivierJanzac they have one of the most experienced coaches in France, part of the Federation set-up and earlier linked to an assistant coach job with Steve McNamara at Brutus.

Stream details here - KO 4.00 pm GMThttps://treizemondial.fr/elite-1-barrage-saint-esteve-xiii-catalan-vs-villeneuve-xiii-en-direct-video/

196190858_4280596545294225_6031442119929619513_n.jpg.d3733eee6980bb9c615f89fda27aecf0.jpg

Catalans/Villeneuve game was good but final score flattered Catalans. Villeneuve unlucky with injuries and looked like ran out of steam in last 5 minutes.

18 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

For the 2nd week in a row the dragons substitute wearing the scrum cap came on and lifted the tempo making a couple or great runs and breaks.

Leo Llong perhaps?

Yes! He did it again after his contribution at Lezignan. He's popped up from nowhere. Another excellent tussle painting the Elite1 favourably. Villeneuve gave everything and a false score line. Impressed with their teenager No13 Dimitri Biscarro - one to look out for.

2 minutes ago, audois said:

Yes! He did it again after his contribution at Lezignan. He's popped up from nowhere. Another excellent tussle painting the Elite1 favourably. Villeneuve gave everything and a false score line. Impressed with their teenager No13 Dimitri Biscarro - one to look out for.

He’s only 19 as well. Is this his 1st season in elite1?

Cant say I noticed Biscarro but then again I wasn’t looking and don’t understand French.

I was actually going to post and ask who the number 13 was for the Leopards, he looks a decent prospect. Lets hope he continuesto develop, I know Olivier Janzac has been bringing in young players into the team since he became coach and it looks to be bearing fruit.

Also, I've been impressed with Sammy Masselot in some of the games I've seen him in. You have to wonder why he never made it to a SL club or one of the two top French clubs especially when you consider France has a shortage of top tier second rowers, that ship has probably sailed now 

Didn't Masselot play for Wakefield Trinity some years back?

Semi finals this weekend

Carcassonne v Avignon Saturday 3,00 pm GMT Stade Albert Domec

Lezignan V St Esteve Sunday 3,00 pm GMT Stade Moulin

*https://viaoccitanie.tv/direct-tv/

Carcassonne would have prefered I think Limoux as a local derby - would get around 2000 plus i would imagine.

When the Carcassonne played SOA away in Round 7 they were on fire. The Avignon coach Renaud Guigue was gushing with praise for the Canaris (12-36). The return game also still saw them winning (30-8) with the visitors that more competitive. The Canaris last home game saw them lose for the first time at home to Limoux. Against Toulouse Elite twice  struggled to win (24-22/20-12) late in the season. They’ve lost two key players injured in Lucas Albert and Vave Tuilagi. Can they go on to win it now?

Sunday a replay of the game two weeks back. Should get the fans out too. Last time a belter. The Dragons reservers would need to be better disciplined this time. The penalties got the better of them last time out. See that Joe Chan, Laguerre and Rouge are in the Dragons group to travel to Leigh.

Would an Aude derby on Saturday 20th June be better for the game and probably get a bigger crowd out. Crowds here now can go up to 5000 maximum from this weekend. Good news too that the Toulouse television people at viàOccitanie will cover both the Semi-Finals and Final this year.

I like to think that the game here presently is riding on the success of the Dragons and TO- both joint leaders of the SL and Championship respectively. These entities are the hubs of the game here  and motivating whats behind. The Elite 1 having their best play-off series in years.

Mourgue, Laguerre and Jor Chan and hopefully others will come through as full time professionals and encourage others to follow. St Esteve probably the best they’ve been under the present arrangement. A new Academy structure about to be set-up to make it grow even more. Joined-up thinking too taking Elite 1 Final to  Stade Ernest Wallon - the new home of Toulouse Olympique.

I think the crowds will be affected by the need for a proof of a test of less than 48hours, or proof of having had a second vaccination. The heat will play a big part. 33 degrees is forecast and with the games beginning at 4pm french time it'll still be that temperature during the games. 

Will the almost 3 weeks off help lezignan and carcassonne? Or will Avignon and st esteve have the advantage having played last week in high temperatures? Shoild be two very good games. 

Archived