Elite 1 Play-offs

The right results. 1st v 2nd. Aude derby to Ernest Wallon Sunday. Should be a good'un.

197096593_4308541479166398_868689024551103062_n.jpg.33676f98f313b46fc8f197f9f767abd5.jpg

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, audois said:

The right results. 1st v 2nd. Aude derby to Ernest Wallon Sunday. Should be a good'un.

197096593_4308541479166398_868689024551103062_n.jpg.33676f98f313b46fc8f197f9f767abd5.jpg

Will we be able to see this game on-line anywhere?

It should be a good one.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, barnyia said:

Cracking game this afternoon too. Well it seemed it from inside the stadium anyway! 

And I am pleased to confirm, barnyia, that it seemed pretty good from my position in front of a computer screen in sun-drenched Wiltshire!

We was allowed 2600 for lezignan and 3500 for carcassonne due to stadium capacity etc. Carcassonne said they had 1200 spectateurs and I'd say lezignan was a little less. Tests less than 48hours was needed for everyone over 11 years old who hasn't had both vaccinations. Which i think affected the attendances. Next week 5000 are allowed for the  final. But again tests needed. Catalans play leeds  on Saturday(if they come over) and the final is on Sunday. Lezignan are putting a bus on for the u15s, 17s and 19s to get to the final. The rugby school have a tournament in the morning before the final in Toulouse. But I'd be surprised if there's more than 1500 due to all the restrictions but i hope I'm wrong. 

The Aude derby Sunday Carcassonne-Lezignan in Toulouse Stade Ernest Wallon. 45 years since these iconic French clubs met in a  Championship Final. The Canaris turning FCL over 14-6 played then at Stade de Toulouse - home of the TFC soccer club.

201128540_4317385378279703_6670761859573896234_n.jpg.960684abe3e0777195c42cb6cd25a5a8.jpg

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

56 minutes ago, audois said:

The Aude derby Sunday Carcassonne-Lezignan in Toulouse Stade Ernest Wallon. 76 years since these iconic French clubs met in a  Championship Final. The Canaris turning FCL over 14-6 played then at Stade de Toulouse - home of the TFC soccer club.

201128540_4317385378279703_6670761859573896234_n.jpg.960684abe3e0777195c42cb6cd25a5a8.jpg

It was in 1976, rather than 76 years ago (to be pedantic), played in front of 14,000 fans. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

It was in 1976, rather than 76 years ago (to be pedantic), played in front of 14,000 fans. 

Ups!

44 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Some interesting points here…

1. Elite One won’t increase to 12 next year (COVID) but FFRXIII will use 2022 to see who’s ready to step up. Toulon, Lyon and VSR all mentioned.

2. Lacoste not opposed to Carcassonne joining League One but wants to create a standard in Elite One that makes clubs want to stay.

3. French RLWC warm up game was planned in Bordeaux on Oct 16th but organisers have asked all warm-ups take place on British soil. Tonga have been earmarked. 

Is the final on Via Occitanie and, if it is, could some kind soul remind this forgetful old fogey whether 15H00 in France is currently 2pm or 4pm in this country, please?  Thanks.

46 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Is the final on Via Occitanie and, if it is, could some kind soul remind this forgetful old fogey whether 15H00 in France is currently 2pm or 4pm in this country, please?  Thanks.

15:00 in France is 2PM here pal

On 16/06/2021 at 21:54, ATLANTISMAN said:

No 2 the right way to go 🙂

I agree. Improving the standard of Elite 1 and possibly increasing the size when suitable. Hopefully Toulouse and Catalans will be able to promote lots of young French players into SL.

One question about young French players - how many academey type set ups are there in France and how big is the junior game in the South of France?

5 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

On your question (I am more a sponsorship person with an strong interest in French RL) on the playing front Barnyia and Audios are your best bets as Barnyia is at the coal face and Audois is a wealth of knowledge:)

Paul

Thanks for that. Barnyia and Audios, over to you

There are no real academy set ups as in the UK. The Catalans are getting close I suppose. There are pole espoirs which are training centres plus éducation. There are four of these, Toulouse, Carcassonne, Perpignan and salon de Provence, the teenagers at these go back to their clubs at the weekend, 

There are around 19/20 U19s teams in France. A few more u17s and u15s. The u13s play tournaments with 9 players with the pitch cut in half. Plus a 13 a side cup comp and a 13 a side tournament. The u13s probably play twice a month maximum. I've no exact figures but I'd say around 25/30 teams at this level as they need less players and don't have games every week. The u7s u9s and u11s play in the same tournaments as the u13s and play 5 a side for the u7s and 7 a side for the u9s and u11s. As less numbers are needed there's a few more teams. Same again they play once /twice a month maximum. 

The junior set ups that have teams in all the categories are usually part of established clubs. Then there's small clubs that just do up to u11s. 

In the adults you have the established clubs playing elite 1 and 2 who have most of the age categories like Avignon, Carcassonne, Lézignan,baho,etc and then clubs that just have first grade and no junior set ups. 

A rough guess I'd say in total there's around 40/50  junior clubs in France. 

7 minutes ago, barnyia said:

There are no real academy set ups as in the UK. The Catalans are getting close I suppose. There are pole espoirs which are training centres plus éducation. There are four of these, Toulouse, Carcassonne, Perpignan and salon de Provence, the teenagers at these go back to their clubs at the weekend, 

There are around 19/20 U19s teams in France. A few more u17s and u15s. The u13s play tournaments with 9 players with the pitch cut in half. Plus a 13 a side cup comp and a 13 a side tournament. The u13s probably play twice a month maximum. I've no exact figures but I'd say around 25/30 teams at this level as they need less players and don't have games every week. The u7s u9s and u11s play in the same tournaments as the u13s and play 5 a side for the u7s and 7 a side for the u9s and u11s. As less numbers are needed there's a few more teams. Same again they play once /twice a month maximum. 

The junior set ups that have teams in all the categories are usually part of established clubs. Then there's small clubs that just do up to u11s. 

In the adults you have the established clubs playing elite 1 and 2 who have most of the age categories like Avignon, Carcassonne, Lézignan,baho,etc and then clubs that just have first grade and no junior set ups. 

A rough guess I'd say in total there's around 40/50  junior clubs in France. 

Thanks for that. Are the Pole Espoirs where the best junior players go or just colleges which also offer RL?

Are Elite 1 and 2 clubs similar to community clubs over here then where they run juniors through to 1st team, rather than stand alone open age teams with various junior clubs spread around their local area?

On 16/06/2021 at 21:25, welshmagpie said:

Some interesting points here…

1. Elite One won’t increase to 12 next year (COVID) but FFRXIII will use 2022 to see who’s ready to step up. Toulon, Lyon and VSR all mentioned.

2. Lacoste not opposed to Carcassonne joining League One but wants to create a standard in Elite One that makes clubs want to stay.

3. French RLWC warm up game was planned in Bordeaux on Oct 16th but organisers have asked all warm-ups take place on British soil. Tonga have been earmarked. 

Also at the end, really hope this happens::

The 2025 World Cup could well take place in France confirms Luc Lacoste: “The president of the IRL has announced this possibility. We have a kind of exclusivity period with the IRL during which we work together on the modalities of this World Cup. We have already met the state. It would be a great chance for us. The IRL would like to make a decision at the time of the next World Cup in the fall. We have a lot of work to do until then. "

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

Also at the end, really hope this happens::

The 2025 World Cup could well take place in France confirms Luc Lacoste: “The president of the IRL has announced this possibility. We have a kind of exclusivity period with the IRL during which we work together on the modalities of this World Cup. We have already met the state. It would be a great chance for us. The IRL would like to make a decision at the time of the next World Cup in the fall. We have a lot of work to do until then. "

Thanks bud! Forgot about that gem of information.

Also really happy to see Lacoste fit and healthy again after his scare.

I enjoyed this afternoon's final.  I thought it had a good tactical mix, with the Lezignan right hand side and the Carcassonne left opposing it both looking much better in attack than defence.

I thought M Casty was in danger of losing control early on when there were a few skirmishes and he didn't prouduce a carton jaune, but, as usual, he was right in his more measured approach; the game settled down well.

Arguably both sides were too conservative in the first twenty minutes of the second half and Carcassonne looked too laboured in the final ten to be likely to snatch it (well, until they came close to doing so!)

And plenty of legally correct PTBs and scrums - what not to like!

Via Occitanie's coverage was interesting and largely enjoyable.  They were a bit miserly with graphics.  However, their very restrained use of action replays, and limiting them almost exclusively to when there was a stoppage in play, was a real joy after the ridiculous yet habitual excesses of both the BBC and Sky Sports in that respect.

Archived