Elite 1 Play-offs

7 minutes ago, langpark said:

I caught the 2nd half. Not a bad game, but quite a few handling errors from both teams though. I loved the good old-fashioned pitch invasion at full-time too! 🙂

I don't know which match the ERL correspondent was watching, but my recollection is that there were no 2nd half tries.  Lezignan, having failed to add a goal to any of their three first half tries, kicked two penalties after the break.  Or do I imagine that...?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I enjoyed this afternoon's final.  I thought it had a good tactical mix, with the Lezignan right hand side and the Carcassonne left opposing it both looking much better in attack than defence.

I thought M Casty was in danger of losing control early on when there were a few skirmishes and he didn't prouduce a carton jaune, but, as usual, he was right in his more measured approach; the game settled down well.

Arguably both sides were too conservative in the first twenty minutes of the second half and Carcassonne looked too laboured in the final ten to be likely to snatch it (well, until they came close to doing so!)

And plenty of legally correct PTBs and scrums - what not to like!

Via Occitanie's coverage was interesting and largely enjoyable.  They were a bit miserly with graphics.  However, their very restrained use of action replays, and limiting them almost exclusively to when there was a stoppage in play, was a real joy after the ridiculous yet habitual excesses of both the BBC and Sky Sports in that respect.

Coverage was good, image was a bit blurry for me, but was probably due to my settings or internet connection. Other times I have had a crystal clear image when watching their broadcasts.

I actually thought Carcassonne had half a shout for a penalty try in the 78th minute. Grubber into the in-goal ans their kick-chaser was taken out. I did not expect a penalty, but possibly a penalty and sin bin. I think there was no video ref though, so the ref just took the safe option and gave goal line dropout.

1 hour ago, langpark said:

Coverage was good, image was a bit blurry for me, but was probably due to my settings or internet connection. Other times I have had a crystal clear image when watching their broadcasts.

I actually thought Carcassonne had half a shout for a penalty try in the 78th minute. Grubber into the in-goal ans their kick-chaser was taken out. I did not expect a penalty, but possibly a penalty and sin bin. I think there was no video ref though, so the ref just took the safe option and gave goal line dropout.

I know what you mean about the penalty try, but that would have been very harsh indeed.  On the whole, I thought M Casty had a good game.  I am just grateful that he returned to refereeing after that appalling attack he suffered from a young St Esteve thug four years ago, and am pleased that, as I understand it, he is one of the referees for the world cup later this year.

On 20/06/2021 at 20:16, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

Great end to the season which kept me and a group of mates sane during lockdown. Hoping to get down there at some point this summer 🤞

A 10 year wait for FCL. MOTM from Toulouse paper La Dépèche  had it Maria and Lacans while L' Independant went for Stacul. 3200 crowd given (5000 allowed) Given the circumstances health wise. Lezignan best supported in the comp.

FCL mangement thought playing at Ernest Wallon tops -  home  of iconic Stade Toulousain. Toulouse originally was the base for finals played out of the Stade de Toulouse home of TFC.

From the Canaris captain Escamilla failed a fitness test and I think all-action back rower Bouregba didn't last course. Centre Vincent Albert felt last weeks effort against Avignoni drained them of energy.

But as PYBC says the Play offs a credit to the 6 participating sides. Something to to build on in 2022

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

2 hours ago, audois said:

A 10 year wait for FCL. MOTM from Toulouse paper La Dépèche  had it Maria and Lacans while L' Independant went for Stacul. 3200 crowd given (5000 allowed) Given the circumstances health wise. Lezignan best supported in the comp.

FCL mangement thought playing at Ernest Wallon tops -  home  of iconic Stade Toulousain. Toulouse originally was the base for finals played out of the Stade de Toulouse home of TFC.

From the Canaris captain Escamilla failed a fitness test and I think all-action back rower Bouregba didn't last course. Centre Vincent Albert felt last weeks effort against Avignoni drained them of energy.

But as PYBC says the Play offs a credit to the 6 participating sides. Something to to build on in 2022

Do Lezignan generally have the biggest crowds in Elite 1 then @audois

• 2 weeks later...

Archived