All things Radio

1 minute ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

As I recall (so could be completely wrong!), they also recorded an introductory tune for Money Box, the BBC Radio 4 programme.  That programme is extant, but the signature tune, sadly, isn't.

Money Box is ruddy infuriating. The reply to almost every caller is "on the one hand this, on the other hand that". 

On 01/07/2022 at 19:58, gingerjon said:

It has massively improved a few dud areas in the past few years even though it remains really unsure what it is trying to do in the 9am-12noon slot despite having some good presenters in it.

It's sad to see how diminished Drama on 3 now is - capable of some superb productions but the number now so massively reduced from previous years and decades - but that's part of the whole BBC walk away from that kind of content.

I go in phases but I find Night Waves (or whatever it's called now) mostly unlistenable at the minute. That's probably just me though.

I had a R3 spell in the late 90s when I was trying, with limited success, to acquire a taste for Jazz. Included the request programme with the (for an American) disappointingly-named Geoffrey Smith.

The reference to the place of drama on a station ostensibly devoted to music brings to mind the carping, usually aired on Feedback, whenever Radio 4 broadcast music documentaries. Complainants were essentially highlighting duplication across the network. The schedules of R1 and R2 were replete with comparable features. 

In contrast to the plainly infantile but hard-to-suppress sense of deflation when a respected obscurity went mainstream, I felt mildly triumphant when music I'm a fan of got the R4 treatment. John Peel often remarked that records first played on his show always sounded better when he heard them on Daytime R1. The satisfaction is possibly akin to that derived from seeing an unsung hero receive an honour from the State.

My favourite R4 music doc was about Judee Sill. In it, Andy Partridge said something along the lines of "Everybody else liked Joni Mitchell and Carole King, but I preferred Judee Sill". Same here.

The Judee Sill documentary by Ruth Barnes was very good. I assume that's the same one you heard.

Brad Pitt did a decent programme on Nick Drake called "Lost Boy", but that was Radio 2.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/06/2023 at 15:26, Futtocks said:

History buffs should enjoy History's Secret Heroes, in which Helena Bonham Carter presents extraordinary stories  from World War II: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/m001mcbp 

A new series of this excellent programme has started, with episode 3 on this afternoon at 3pm.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Two things today on Radio 4.

1. A programme about Dr Feelgood at 4pm.

2. A new series of Thanks a lot, Milton Jones! starts at 6:30pm.

Ralph Waldo Emerson