Often Forgotten Amazing Wingers

I wouldn't have said Des Drummond was forgotten but maybe my memory is still quite good 😉

As for Danny Arnold, he was good too at Huddersfield in our 1st couple of years in SL (98,99), always gave 100%.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Wasn’t Drummond from Bolton?

shame about bolton not having a league presence in the town considering teams like wigan, Salford and Leigh are nearby.

Tyldesley were a force to be reckoned with in their day.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 05/06/2021 at 12:43, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Trevor Lake, on the opposite Wigan wing from Billy Boston - talk about stylistic chalk and cheese!

I don't think Trevor Lake has been forgotten.  Of course the Billy Boston might well be remembered in 1965, but the version in 1953 might be forgotten.

3 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Think my favourites of Drummond,Ledger and Quirk have all been mentioned but I haven’t seen anyone mention Ferguson who in his brief spell at Wigan was brilliant. 

Chicka was a great winger,I think he averaged a try per game during his spell at Wigan then went onto represent NSW/ Australia on his return home and then winning Premierships late in his career at Canberra 

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

I don't think Trevor Lake has been forgotten.  Of course the Billy Boston might well be remembered in 1965, but the version in 1953 might be forgotten.

I really don't think that you are right, RP.

In the fraternity of RL fans, a significant proportion will know of Billy Boston.  I think the proportion that will know of Trevor Lake will, by comparison, be very small.  Ergo, I contend that Lake is 'often forgotten', to use the phraseology of the thread title.

Used to curse Ken Senior at Fartown. He always seemed to score against Hunslet. Struggling Huyton had David Leatherbarrow who stood out like a beacon in their customary hard fought wins over us.

Some great memories in here.

Remember being a nipper at Odsal and folk going nuts about Dave Barends.  Henderson Gill, not sure if he warrants as forgotten.  Tevita Vaikona always gave 100% and seemed a decent bloke too.

14 hours ago, boris74 said:

Chico Jackson. Amazing that he was ever picked on the wing but has at least one 90 yarder to his name!

Good call.  He started on the wing mate (2 maybe 3 years) but moved into the pack and was second row/bench for the rest of his career at Hull.

Legend with the Threepenny stand!

12 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Good call.  He started on the wing mate (2 maybe 3 years) but moved into the pack and was second row/bench for the rest of his career at Hull.

Legend with the Threepenny stand!

Made his debut on the wing against Salford at the Boulevard, the highlights were shown on scrumdown. Seem to remember him scoring a try as well playing opposite Tex Evans?

Proper club legend who put everything into playing for the shirt!

12 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I really don't think that you are right, RP.

In the fraternity of RL fans, a significant proportion will know of Billy Boston.  I think the proportion that will know of Trevor Lake will, by comparison, be very small.  Ergo, I contend that Lake is 'often forgotten', to use the phraseology of the thread title.

Yes fair comment... But Lake scored one of the most remarkable tries in RL history. Certainly not forgettable.

I was prompted to check and he scored 123 tries in 3 seasons. Went to StGeorge and got a knee injury and retired. 

I remember at one point (65?) Lake was scoring tries for toffee. Wigan played Barrow(?) And Burgess - a flyer (and a forgotten winger?)- marked Lake like glue. Lake and Boston swapped wings but Burgess still stuck with him.   It didn't work, Billy scored a hat-trick including his 300th one!

As someone whose early life was dominated by Wakefield Trinity, I have to give a mention to two great Trinity wingers of the 1960s - Fred Smith, who I believe still holds the Trinity record for tries in a season, and Gert (Oupa) Coetzer, who came from South Africa to join Trinity after having seen them on a promotional tour of South Africa in 1962.

I got to know Fred and he used to tell me some great stories about the game, mainly involving the Trinity captain Derek 'Rocky' Turner, whose toughness was legendary.

In those days Trinity also had another South African, Jan Prinsloo, who joined from St Helens, and Berwyn Jones, who was an Olympic sprinter.

Later on, Wakefield had David Smith, who ended up being transferred to Leeds, while Keith Slater also came on the scene in the late 60s/early 70s.

Slater was a very rare example of a Cambridge (rugby union) Blue who switched codes. He was a very capable winger. We ran his obituary around a year ago.

Archived