Kevin Sinfield - to leicester

8 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Without a doubt Kevin Sinfield is  now a nationally recognized person, every time he comes on TV most people know who he is ,every time people hear his name they know who he is . This has probably been deliberately leaked as the other codes season ends and ours is getting going and we have lots of positive promoting and work to do . If it does happen they will want him on the panels of their big games talking about their sport as if ours is insignificant.  The very fact that we are talking about this means they have made us take our eye off our season. 

Or maybe, here’s a crazy thought, Leicester RU at the end of their season are simply looking for new backroom staff as is the case in Football, RU, Rugby League and Cricket at the end of each of their respective campaigns. 

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Losing probably our highest profile name in the game to RU would be a blow for the sport.

For some reason Sinfield has gotten a few ‘haters’ on here but if you take the blinkers off you realise we need to keep high profile ex players in the sport, whether people think he’s good DOR is utterly irrelevant.

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

Losing probably our highest profile name in the game to RU would be a blow for the sport.

For some reason Sinfield has gotten a few ‘haters’ on here but if you take the blinkers off you realise we need to keep high profile ex players in the sport, whether people think he’s good DOR is utterly irrelevant.

Gotten? WTH? 

There was once rumours that Kevin was bound for Warrington at the end of one of his contracts and he was non committal.  His friends were saying he's fed up with people  asking this . When he did sign his  deal with the club he commented I didnt comment because I didnt want to give e it credence. 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Up to and including playing it for a season after his league career.

He's probably off and we can get back to pretending that the coaches' brain drain doesn't matter.

Serious question, does he actually have any coaching qualifications and what has he coached in TGG? I know both Rob Burrow and Barrie MacDermott have coached sides at Leeds but never heard anything about Sinfield.

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

14 minutes ago, BJW said:

Serious question, does he actually have any coaching qualifications and what has he coached in TGG? I know both Rob Burrow and Barrie MacDermott have coached sides at Leeds but never heard anything about Sinfield.

But he is not a coach and never claimed to be. 

44 minutes ago, BJW said:

TBH, don't know but it also doesn't really matter in terms of the ongoing fact that, in the northern hemisphere at least, so many of our top names (players/coaches/just recognisable people) end up not engaged with the sport.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

34 minutes ago, Live after death said:

But he is not a coach and never claimed to be. 

So why is he being touted as going to Leicester as an attack coach? Speaks volumes about the calibre of coaches in the other code if they prefer to employ an unqualified person.

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

TBH, don't know but it also doesn't really matter in terms of the ongoing fact that, in the northern hemisphere at least, so many of our top names (players/coaches/just recognisable people) end up not engaged with the sport.

"While money doesn't talk, it swears" - Bob Dylan

If he goes then sure he will be getting well rewarded. He is currently engaged with RL, if he decides to go then why blame TGG?

4 minutes ago, BJW said:

"While money doesn't talk, it swears" - Bob Dylan

If he goes then sure he will be getting well rewarded. He is currently engaged with RL, if he decides to go then why blame TGG?

I'm not blaming the game as much as observing that there is a problem when so many people leave the game - even if each individual move is completely explicable and, maybe, on its own not an issue.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, BJW said:

So why is he being touted as going to Leicester as an attack coach? Speaks volumes about the calibre of coaches in the other code if they prefer to employ an unqualified person.

I think his CV makes him pretty qualified, tbh. 

The obvious reason is so he can be awarded a knighthood as RL people are not allowed them

So after  a few weeks at Leicester covering the award of the said well deserved honour he can return home to Headingley

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

I think his CV makes him pretty qualified, tbh. 

Maybe but so far he is untested as a coach. Do remind me of the club currently in SL that once employed a coach with no qualifications but a remarkable CV?

Sinfield was head coach of Leeds from the sacking of Brian McDermott to the end of the 2018 season.

That was always meant to be a temporary thing and, as far as I'm aware, he has never shown any desire to take on such a role full time. Certainly if he wanted to be hands on permanently Leeds would have created a role for him (keeping the top job would probably have been his for the taking if he'd wanted it instead of recruiting Furner).

12 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

You’re mistaking experience for qualifications. 

I could list a number of very experienced players who have less than stellar coaching careers, including WC winners, Ashes winners and CC winners. Great difference between being a great player and a great (or even decent) coach.

36 minutes ago, BJW said:

What qualifications did he have to be Rhinos DoR tbf?

I'm not saying I particularly disagree or agree with that appointment, but just that in a world where there are basically 2 professional Leagues (on opposite sides of the world) its hard to get experience for that sort of role so a lot is given to people with less or no experience.

13 minutes ago, M j M said:

Sinfield was head coach of Leeds from the sacking of Brian McDermott to the end of the 2018 season.

That was always meant to be a temporary thing and, as far as I'm aware, he has never shown any desire to take on such a role full time. Certainly if he wanted to be hands on permanently Leeds would have created a role for him (keeping the top job would probably have been his for the taking if he'd wanted it instead of recruiting Furner).

Thought Jimmy Lowes was first team coach during that period with Sinfield Director Of Rugby? Cna't find any mention of it on his Wikipedia entry or quick google search.

3 minutes ago, BJW said:

Thought Jimmy Lowes was first team coach during that period with Sinfield Director Of Rugby? Cna't find any mention of it on his Wikipedia entry or quick google search.

He was involved yes.

22 hours ago, The storm said:

Reported by the site love rugby league site 

Now love rugby league is a really negative site on our sport - it's shock and awe journalism is like the daily star or the sun. Pathetic stories most of the time 

Does anybody know about this 

Why look at it then and repeat their stories if that is the way you feel?

58 minutes ago, BJW said:

They may have done that officially as a badges thing or similar but there wasn't much doubt it was Sinfield in charge and picking the team.

Archived