Kevin Sinfield - to leicester

As an Oldhamer I'm proud of him no matter what he does. If it means going to union so be it should there be any truth to this. You go where the money is, like plenty of others before him. Mick Ford went to Union as a coach and he's done well there and earned more than he ever did as a rugby league player. If rugby league can't generate the money to compete with union I can see these occurrences happening even more in the future . I'm a League fan through and through but you can't blame someone for going for something different if the moneys right. Nothings been confirmed yet as far as I'm aware so I wouldn't get too giddy about it. 

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

As an Oldhamer I'm proud of him no matter what he does. If it means going to union so be it should there be any truth to this. You go where the money is, like plenty of others before him. Mick Ford went to Union as a coach and he's done well there and earned more than he ever did as a rugby league player. If rugby league can't generate the money to compete with union I can see these occurrences happening even more in the future . I'm a League fan through and through but you can't blame someone for going for something different if the moneys right. Nothings been confirmed yet as far as I'm aware so I wouldn't get too giddy about it. 

Given what he's paid at Leeds and the pattern of his career moves to date this is, if for some reason it is true (doubtful) is very unlikely to be a money thing - although, if successful, in the long run he could earn more in union than as a League administrator.

1 hour ago, M j M said:

Given what he's paid at Leeds and the pattern of his career moves to date this is, if for some reason it is true (doubtful) is very unlikely to be a money thing - although, if successful, in the long run he could earn more in union than as a League administrator.

Thing is though he's basically at the ceiling at Leeds now, and arguably by extension in RL full stop given the financial resources at Leeds vs most of the rest of the game. Perhaps Hetherington would want to pay him more on a sliding scale based on time and success, but realistically DoR at Leeds is probably as good as it gets financially.

If Leicester are able to/willing to offer more for a mere Attacking coach by comparison...

I don't see him going unless the money offer is too good to refuse. He has a cushdy position at Leeds and probably will never have a better position (in terms of personal reward, relatively low risk, and available resources) anywhere else.

2 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

He has a degree I think in sports management  ? A masters ? Studied at Leeds Met 

most of these degrees are not worth the paper they are misspelled on - load of horrocks 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

4 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

So you don't have a masters then johnny lad??🤣🤣🤣

i have a mastiff running loose in the back yard 

35 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

most of these degrees are not worth the paper they are misspelled on - load of horrocks 

I did put a question mark over the title of the degree 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

5 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

So you don't have a masters then johnny lad??🤣🤣🤣

no - but my son does- its in something worthwhile though - stuff like sports science is made up crop

31 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

i have a mastiff running loose in the back yard 

You're definitely a man of constant sorrow Johnny.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

Even if this bid from Leicester is real, I'd imagine Sinfield would want to think very carefully before taking it on. 

He's a Leeds legend and pretty much set for life at the club, with a fair degree of leeway as to results - particularly as the coach sits between him and the ever-ready firing squad. 

If he goes to Leicester for a bit more money and fails then what?  He may not be able to return to Leeds in the role he's in now, and he's highly unlikely to get a role paying as much with as little pressure at another SL club. 

13 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Thing is though he's basically at the ceiling at Leeds now, and arguably by extension in RL full stop given the financial resources at Leeds vs most of the rest of the game. Perhaps Hetherington would want to pay him more on a sliding scale based on time and success, but realistically DoR at Leeds is probably as good as it gets financially.

If Leicester are able to/willing to offer more for a mere Attacking coach by comparison...

I don't see him going unless the money offer is too good to refuse. He has a cushdy position at Leeds and probably will never have a better position (in terms of personal reward, relatively low risk, and available resources) anywhere else.

It is my understanding, rightly or wrongly that Gary Hetherington is winding himself down at Leeds and  giving more responsibility to Kevin Sinfield, and Kevin Sinfield is going to take over from Gary Hetherington when he steps down completely.

1 minute ago, lucky 7 said:

It is my understanding, rightly or wrongly that Gary Hetherington is winding himself down at Leeds and  giving more responsibility to Kevin Sinfield, and Kevin Sinfield is going to take over from Gary Hetherington when he steps down completely.

Yeah I think Hetherington will stay on as Chairman or something similar for as long as possible whilst DoR roles will be all Sinfield's and Commercial is all Rob Oates.

If Sinfield did take over, would he take the DoR rule with him? Possibly.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Yeah I think Hetherington will stay on as Chairman or something similar for as long as possible whilst DoR roles will be all Sinfield's and Commercial is all Rob Oates.

If Sinfield did take over, would he take the DoR rule with him? Possibly.

Hetherington's role was so all-encompassing that it was always going to be hard to replace him - commercially and financially astute, knowing how to run a club from top to bottom plus an excellent judge of an RL player for the de-facto DOR role he did. Sinfield clearly and Oates over a number of years have picked up chunks of his role but I'd be wary of Sinfield taking on all the operational aspects without a long apprenticeship. That however is/was the plan.

What is less clear is the intent of the majority owner - I've no idea if there are other members of the Caddick family who would like to carry on their involvement, especially as the club currently requires them to put money in rather than it washing its face as it did for so many years.

2 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

Do you know what though, if that's the case then Sinfield to Leicester makes all sorts of sense.

I've got a mate who's going to inherit a business. He absolutely was not sent to learn his trade at that business.

I've got another mate who is now an Oxford don, having been one of their star students. He had to do a couple of years at another university before Oxford would give him a job. 

KS is a one club man from what, 16? We'll ignore Leeds RU for a sec because they played at Headingly so it's not like he was far from the nest.

If that's the plan then if I was Hetherington, Sinfield, or Leeds as a club I'd think it was no bad thing to go and sit in another set-up for 18 months or so, especially in a different sport. 

I do think obviously there'd be a risk that he would have his head turned, but actually I can see why this is possibly the last chance for KS to learn his trade with a bit of a different perspective before taking the reins at Leeds. On that basis I could see it working for all sides actually. Even Leicester would get an injection of fresh thinking, and KS might learn a few different things to 'the way it is at Leeds'

3 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

Hetherington is paid well over £200,000 a year at Leeds 

And Leeds have Sinfield as well. 

It would be crazy for Sinfield to leave at this time when the highly over rated hetherington is close to retirement 

6 minutes ago, The storm said:

Hetherington is paid well over £200,000 a year at Leeds 

And Leeds have Sinfield as well. 

It would be crazy for Sinfield to leave at this time when the highly over rated hetherington is close to retirement 

Highly over rated ? You are well wide of the mark there my man 

FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

44 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

Do you know what though, if that's the case then Sinfield to Leicester makes all sorts of sense.

I've got a mate who's going to inherit a business. He absolutely was not sent to learn his trade at that business.

I've got another mate who is now an Oxford don, having been one of their star students. He had to do a couple of years at another university before Oxford would give him a job. 

KS is a one club man from what, 16? We'll ignore Leeds RU for a sec because they played at Headingly so it's not like he was far from the nest.

If that's the plan then if I was Hetherington, Sinfield, or Leeds as a club I'd think it was no bad thing to go and sit in another set-up for 18 months or so, especially in a different sport. 

I do think obviously there'd be a risk that he would have his head turned, but actually I can see why this is possibly the last chance for KS to learn his trade with a bit of a different perspective before taking the reins at Leeds. On that basis I could see it working for all sides actually. Even Leicester would get an injection of fresh thinking, and KS might learn a few different things to 'the way it is at Leeds'

I believe he was 12 or 13 when he came to Headingley 

JAMIE PEACOCK

31 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

I believe he was 12 or 13 when he came to Headingley 

all the more reason to do some time out of the box before being given the keys to the box...

'what do they know of Leeds, that only Leeds know....'

Archived