Kevin Sinfield - to leicester

22 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

I remember what Brian McDermott said when Kevin Sinfield retired from playing RL and went over to play for the RU club at Headingley Yorkshire Carnegie? Whatever ? He said " he wants to play union before he finishes, he is a fan of that game " A fan of the game ? I can see him as a RU pundit on their big occasions just like Jonathan Davies is on our TV games 

Yes, but Davis played as an international at both codes.   And Davis retired.   Sinfield is still working.

But to be fair, Edwards did a brief stint as pundit I think for the last world cup (?)

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

The Yanks kept a few old English words and called it " revolutionary English" please dont set me up for a " Fall" with your superior intellect . Joke 😊

Just don't like ugly words.😊 Got is also one. Color is fine, as is the Lincolnshire pronunciation of New, as in Noo York. 

28 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Just don't like ugly words.😊 Got is also one. Color is fine, as is the Lincolnshire pronunciation of New, as in Noo York. 

😆

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Seems like the Oldham mafia, Kevin Sinfield, Mike Ford and Phil Larder

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Confirmed.

https://www.therhinos.co.uk/2021/06/17/sinfield-set-to-leave-rhinos-at-the-end-of-the-season/

Interesting reading both his and Hetheringtons statements, seems like his role had ‘changed’ over the last 18months and wanted to be more involved in the performance side rather than management of the club.

Hetherington not impressed looking at that statement. But it looks like Sinfield didn't enjoy the back office role as much as expected, and there wasn't a coaching vacancy for him.

Will be interesting to see who they bring in as a replacement.

12 minutes ago, JohnM said:

The statement confirms he's leaving. Is there a statement saying where he is going? 

Further details expected later today apparently. So may be then?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

27 minutes ago, M j M said:

Hetherington not impressed looking at that statement. But it looks like Sinfield didn't enjoy the back office role as much as expected, and there wasn't a coaching vacancy for him.

Will be interesting to see who they bring in as a replacement.

Does read a bit like that, if Hetherington has been grooming Sinfield to take on a senior strategic role at Leeds (and possibly his own) then he's now back to square one and probably not very happy about it.

Perhaps the most important thing here is that Sinfield doesn't take his son with him. There aren't many things he could do which would taint his legacy, and leaving a back office role surely isn't one, but taking one of our most promising juniors to rugby union definitely would be.

I dont want to use the term " lame Duck "  but hes staying on for rest of season and who will be negotiating the contracts and identifying possible signings for next year ? Unless the club are promoting from within. Agar? That is if they can afford a DOR in the present Climate? . I am more concerned that the other code will milk this as a coup when once again they have poached a High profile RL man to show them how to play.  

FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Move on to where? Where is it going exactly? 

I know some are keen to dismiss this as just some admin guy switching roles (which is pretty desperate anyway) but he’s possibly the only RL player non RL fans might know. A lot of that will be as a result of the sad Rob Burrow situation but nonetheless they’ll know him. He wasn’t a particular favourite of mine but was one of the modern day legends of RL. And now he’s working in RU along with numerous other RL luminaries.

And this is just ‘one of those things’? 🤔🤔

Yes it is. I know you're utterly desperate to engage in some Rugby League deathriding but there really isn't much to go at in this one.

2 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

I dont want to use the term " lame Duck "  but hes staying on for rest of season and who will be negotiating the contracts and identifying possible signings for next year ? Unless the club are promoting from within. Agar? That is if they can afford a DOR in the present Climate?

Yeah I guess Hetherington has to decide whether he wants to take that role back on again - which I doubt, although he was very good at it for decades.

If he is replaced I hope the club doesn't fall back on getting another ex-legendary player to do it; a fresh pair of eyes might be just what is needed.

13 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

I dont want to use the term " lame Duck "  but hes staying on for rest of season and who will be negotiating the contracts and identifying possible signings for next year ? Unless the club are promoting from within. Agar? That is if they can afford a DOR in the present Climate? . I am more concerned that the other code will milk this as a coup when once again they have poached a High profile RL man to show them how to play.  

I expect Hetherington will take on the role of contract negotiations in the interim basis. Key is who will replace Sinfield. I expect he will research diligently to get the right person in. Of course, he could look down the route of McGuire coming back. That said, there is a very fundamental difference between a Head of Rugby/Performance and CEO role and if they’re looking for the latter then McGuire is unlikely to be the person. The structure at the club and roles require some clarity. 

Leicester Tigers are clearly burning through all that CVC money on a defence coach 😂

13 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Sinfield won’t be going for the money alone, I don’t think he’s that type of person, but if a legend of arguably RL’s currently biggest club can see attraction of joining RU....then maybe something is not quite right in RL.

Realistically, what options did Leeds have? Plead with him to stay? They probably tried that and his mind was set on leaving. Try to redefine his role? Leicester would just come back to him and say he can create the job he wants. Offer him more money? It would still be matched and probably beaten by Leicester. 

Sometimes we just have to realise that a bigger sport with bigger pockets can come and poach our talent. Unless we want to bankrupt ourselves in the process there’s little we can do.

When RU backroom staff positions outnumber those in RL by at least threefold, and there are dozens more RU clubs with the financial clout to tempt people from RL, the traffic will be one way. 

Years ago I used to be infuriated by defections to RU. Now I simply acknowledge that they are an inevitable part of being a rugby league fan. It’s annoying, but we are an under-funded sport in a fiercely competitive market. It’s a wonder that this doesn’t happen more often.

We also need to remember that it isn’t just RU that takes our talent, although it is always the one that hurts the most.

53 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Does read a bit like that, if Hetherington has been grooming Sinfield to take on a senior strategic role at Leeds (and possibly his own) then he's now back to square one and probably not very happy about it.

That was what I always thought was the plan. Doesn’t Sinfield have an MBA or some sort of business degree?

35 minutes ago, M j M said:

Yeah I guess Hetherington has to decide whether he wants to take that role back on again - which I doubt, although he was very good at it for decades.

If he is replaced I hope the club doesn't fall back on getting another ex-legendary player to do it; a fresh pair of eyes might be just what is needed.

Agreed I hope the club dont go for an explayer 

JAMIE PEACOCK

As disappointing as it is to lose yet another of our few recognised faces, I don't get what the issue is here. The sport in England has made its direction of travel clear, and people with ambition will always seek more than it is willing and able to offer. I'd have thought everyone had recognised that by now.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Move on to where? Where is it going exactly? 

I know some are keen to dismiss this as just some admin guy switching roles (which is pretty desperate anyway) but he’s possibly the only RL player non RL fans might know. A lot of that will be as a result of the sad Rob Burrow situation but nonetheless they’ll know him. He wasn’t a particular favourite of mine but was one of the modern day legends of RL. And now he’s working in RU along with numerous other RL luminaries.

And this is just ‘one of those things’? 🤔🤔

Rugby League is in a perpetual state of going nowhere, the fans wouldn’t have it any other way. RL represents the UK’s working class attitude of, ‘yeah things are bit ######, but we’re appy’.

36 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I absolutely understand that and largely agree. And if it was just the odd unknown backroom person jumping ship then it could be shrugged off, just as I did when Andy Farrell or Iestyn Harris or Jason Robinson switched codes - their loss I said. 
As has been said before, Sinfield and the other Leeds players of his era could have joined other clubs for more money but chose not to. Why was this? Because they wanted to be part of something special. Money wasn’t the overriding factor here but the feeling.

RL doesn’t have to bankrupt itself trying to spend money it hasn’t got, nor should it try. It just needs to have a sense of direction that people want to be part of and generate a feeling of ‘wild horses wouldn’t keep them away’ rather than looking over the fence and seeing how good the neighbours have it. RL seems to have no plan other than to stumble by season to season and hope for the best. 

36 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I absolutely understand that and largely agree. And if it was just the odd unknown backroom person jumping ship then it could be shrugged off, just as I did when Andy Farrell or Iestyn Harris or Jason Robinson switched codes - their loss I said. 
As has been said before, Sinfield and the other Leeds players of his era could have joined other clubs for more money but chose not to. Why was this? Because they wanted to be part of something special. Money wasn’t the overriding factor here but the feeling.

RL doesn’t have to bankrupt itself trying to spend money it hasn’t got, nor should it try. It just needs to have a sense of direction that people want to be part of and generate a feeling of ‘wild horses wouldn’t keep them away’ rather than looking over the fence and seeing how good the neighbours have it. RL seems to have no plan other than to stumble by season to season and hope for the best. 

Sorry but you are confused and so are most others.  This is the sign of the times.  Hard Times.

Hetherington has lost the plot as well, not least in the way he has politicked against SL and the ideas of Elstone.

Sinfield is going for the money and the ambition that goes with it.  His son will go once his contract is up. The best thing Leeds could do is make money out of his transfer.  Like Farrell he can move onto a bigger stage... if he is good enough.

This disaster is emblematic  of rugby league.   It has been in the back foot ever since the professionalisation of RU and gets worse with every new dumbassed rule change.  Sinfield was RFL performance director once, for gawdsake! Now he could be on track to do the same, may be more, for the RFU.  How many people thought Andy Farrell would be head coach for a 6 Nations team?

Hetherington was opposed to bringing money into SL and now it's bitten him back.  It is now I suspect too late to get money into SL.  How long before Sale start spending their money?

But come on you readership...  wise up to reality.

3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

How am I confused? I agree with most of what you say 

But in Sinfields case, I doubt if he's going purely for the money. It's probably a factor but not *the* reason. 

'the money and the ambition at comes with it'

With Leicester it's not just domestic honours, it's international ones.  People will sit up and listen to what he had to say now, on a real stage.  Of course he has to be good enough  ... We will have to see.  He probably is.

But it does not matter what clever things RFL/SL say or do.  It is just a few squeaks compared to the big noise RU is making.   And it's all down to money... investment. 

13 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Pretty damning reasons for leaving Leeds. 

Perhaps you should clarify, as all I have read is snippets on BBC Sport.

The fact that he and Heatherington. cannot agree on a significant strategy is significant.

But it could all be a smokescreen to hide the fact that Sinfield has been tapped up by a bigger more ambitious club, and indeed a whole sport.

Archived