Kevin Sinfield - to leicester

5 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Perhaps you should clarify, as all I have read is snippets on BBC Sport.

The fact that he and Heatherington. cannot agree on a significant strategy is significant.

But it could all be a smokescreen to hide the fact that Sinfield has been tapped up by a bigger more ambitious club, and indeed a whole sport.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/kevin-sinfield-opens-up-decision-24337902.amp

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Seems he's been doing Uncle Gary's donkey work and he'd rather be a coach.

Fair enough but we don't know if he's actually any good as a coach. Leeds have been pretty ordinary for a while now.  

I would have thought that with Mr Hetherington wanting to do less and getting to a stage to retire that it was a good opportunity for subsequently a much bigger role - assuming that is if it was something you would want.   He  has decided that isn't for him and he wants to be more involved in coaching. 

The role of taking on more and more of Hetherington roles as in CEO would to me seem to be a big role for someone of ambition for such a role, obviously not for Sinfield but to repeat I would have thought it to be a big role and certainly one for an ambitious individual. It doesn't fit if you want to be coaching more but its a huge role and one that is coming and could have been one that Sinfields current role could have grown fully into.

On 15/06/2021 at 23:38, Spotty Herbert said:

How many journalists have reported that he is going? Is it just one rugby union reporter looking for a scoop and getting it wrong, or are there multiple sources reporting it? If the latter I am more prepared to be convinced it might happen. If its just one person making a guess to generate a headline I will just say "Nosey Parker" 

Aye - no worries Herbert, it's just one guy.

Nothing to worry about.

🙄

20 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Ahead of the 21/22 season would mean before the end of the RL season...

Yup. He'll be gone pretty soon.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

A horrible, horrible loss to the sport.

The one recognisable face the game in the UK has, outside of the Rugby League fanbase.

Someone mentioned a PR coup for union, but I think it is a much bigger PR blow for Rugby League.

From performance director for the RFL.... To assistant coach at a union club.

I think the game as a whole in the UK needs to take a serious look at itself.

2 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Hetherington was opposed to bringing money into SL and now it's bitten him back.  It is now I suspect too late to get money into SL.  How long before Sale start spending their money?

But come on you readership...  wise up to reality.

You're still angry that Hetherington and McManus stopped the rest of the league signing up to borrow some money off loan sharks 😳 🤡

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

I would have thought that with Mr Hetherington wanting to do less and getting to a stage to retire that it was a good opportunity for subsequently a much bigger role - assuming that is if it was something you would want.   He  has decided that isn't for him and he wants to be more involved in coaching. 

The role of taking on more and more of Hetherington roles as in CEO would to me seem to be a big role for someone of ambition for such a role, obviously not for Sinfield but to repeat I would have thought it to be a big role and certainly one for an ambitious individual. It doesn't fit if you want to be coaching more but its a huge role and one that is coming and could have been one that Sinfields current role could have grown fully into.

Sinfield was brought into do take the DOR role off Hetherington (identifying and managing talent, sorting contracts, managing the salary cap etc etc etc). There was a long-term suggestion he was going to take over the rest of the CEO role as well although that would be a big step as it's largely a business rather than a Rugby League-style position.

The fact that he found even the DOR role too far distant from the on-field stuff, and there was clearly no vacancy for him on the Leeds coaching staff, means that this is inevitable if he wants to get his hands dirty. There's no reason for him to move to RU though but I guess that's up to him once he was no longer happy with the role he'd signed up to at Leeds.

Personally, I'm sorry he's going but as an administrator and a coach he's hardly some irreplaceable talent.

14 minutes ago, M j M said:

You're still angry that Hetherington and McManus stopped the rest of the league signing up to borrow some money off loan sharks 😳 🤡

You and people like you are massively missing the point.  

2 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

With Leicester it's not just domestic honours, it's international ones. 

For sure….how long before Sinfield is in the England rfu set-up, or alongside Farrell senior with Ireland?

The rfu media will have a field day.

5 minutes ago, glemiln said:

For sure….how long before Sinfield is in the England rfu set-up, or alongside Farrell senior with Ireland?

Not long and like Robinson talking like he's never been away. 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

44 minutes ago, glemiln said:

Are they really going to quickly promote someone to the top of their sport, whose record in coaching and administration are middling at best - just to trigger the Leaguies? If so they're more desperate than I thought (although judging by this thread there are plenty already truly triggered).

15 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Let's also not forget, this is all one way traffic. There is no exchange of ideas or anything, it's purely RU taking RL talent. It wouldn't be half as bad if it was different. 

But what could a union coach teach us when that sport has essentially morphed into a sort of unlimited tackle, inferior version of league (with horizontal play-the-balls) played under RU rules? 

13 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Let's also not forget, this is all one way traffic. There is no exchange of ideas or anything, it's purely RU taking RL talent. It wouldn't be half as bad if it was different. 

We dont have the money, and when we do have some then some spark spouts it all up the wall for a 34 year old 2 years retired well past it unfit Australian Center.

And the assembled suspects stand in line and say how exciting, how wonderful.

7 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

For those of us who were watching RL in the dying days of RU shamateurism this is the inevitable consequence many of us could see coming. We railed against the hypocrisy of rugby union's boot money payments and banning of league players, but deep down knew that any professionalisation of Union would probably start to crumble the foundations of League.

Unfortunately a free pathway between the codes has led to a steady stream of talent having their heads turned by money, profile, and the all important cliché of wanting a new challenge.

I feel your frustration, I really do, but I honestly cannot see a way out of this for league. We are too small-time, too impoverished and we are most certainly not 'on-brand' with the wider general public. Until all three of these change we're going to have to get used to it.

1 minute ago, Lapsed Leeds Fan said:

For those of us who were watching RL in the dying days of RU shamateurism this is the inevitable consequence many of us could see coming. We railed against the hypocrisy of rugby union's boot money payments and banning of league players, but deep down knew that any professionalisation of Union would probably start to crumble the foundations of League.

Unfortunately a free pathway between the codes has led to a steady stream of talent having their heads turned by money, profile, and the all important cliché of wanting a new challenge.

I feel your frustration, I really do, but I honestly cannot see a way out of this for league. We are too small-time, too impoverished and we are most certainly not 'on-brand' with the wider general public. Until all three of these change we're going to have to get used to it.

THAT'S why we needed investment and expertise. 

THAT'S why we need a complete rethink. 

THAT'S why we need to decouple from a backwards and prejudiced mentality that has sucked the life and progress out of our game.

24 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

But what could a union coach teach us when that sport has essentially morphed into a sort of unlimited tackle, inferior version of league (with horizontal play-the-balls) played under RU rules? 

What could a union coach teach us? How long have you got?

Media presence,  a higher level of eloquence (or ###### polishing) especially when it comes to Internationals. 

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

What could a union coach teach us? How long have you got?

Media presence,  a higher level of eloquence (or ###### polishing) especially when it comes to Internationals. 

If you're talking generally, then I couldn't agree more on internationals - it's the gateway drug (as I can personally attest to) -  but that's hardly within a defence coach's remit.

Archived