Kevin Sinfield - to leicester

31 minutes ago, Lapsed Leeds Fan said:

For those of us who were watching RL in the dying days of RU shamateurism this is the inevitable consequence many of us could see coming. We railed against the hypocrisy of rugby union's boot money payments and banning of league players, but deep down knew that any professionalisation of Union would probably start to crumble the foundations of League.

Unfortunately a free pathway between the codes has led to a steady stream of talent having their heads turned by money, profile, and the all important cliché of wanting a new challenge.

I feel your frustration, I really do, but I honestly cannot see a way out of this for league. We are too small-time, too impoverished and we are most certainly not 'on-brand' with the wider general public. Until all three of these change we're going to have to get used to it.

It's a bit of a leap to say the admittedly concerning brain drain of coaches to RU sounds the death knell for British league, don't you think? 

Aussie coaches will continue to fill the gaps. As long as the better players (bar the odd winger) are staying in the game - and they are, with considerable thanks to the NRL - we don't need to wave the white flag just yet....  

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, glemiln said:

For sure….how long before Sinfield is in the England rfu set-up, or alongside Farrell senior with Ireland?

The rfu media will have a field day.

Who cares? It doesn't affect my enjoyment of Rugby League and it would be a bit weird if it did to any other fan

9 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

It's a bit of a leap to say the admittedly concerning brain drain of coaches to RU sounds the death knell for British league, don't you think? 

Possibly, but off the pitch the two codes have never looked further apart. On the pitch they've never looked closer. That would be a worry to me if I worked for the RFL.

33 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

They have an international game which leads to a whole host of commercial and financial opportunities that seep down through the system. We don´t and until we change that, we can´t complain when players or staff move on. Surprised Reegan Grace hasn´t already gone to Wales RU tbh.

Wales create their own players.  There is an excellent 19/20 year old International winger.   Anyone who cares to look can see lots of RU banners promoting junior rugby.  They all have investment available.

46 minutes ago, JohnM said:

What could a union coach teach us? How long have you got?

Media presence,  a higher level of eloquence (or ###### polishing) especially when it comes to Internationals. 

And yet the top union coaches in the world are now involved in the NRL 

1 minute ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

They are taking Sinfield for his name 

Do you know the this thought had crossed my mind too. Before all the publicity regarding Rob Burrow would Leicester have been interested in Sinfield? I doubt it.

Lets face it since his retirement Sinfield has hardly had done anything of note either in his role at the RFL or at Leeds. Neither has anything he has done given the impression that he is cut out for coaching.

Just now, Johnoco said:

You're making the mistake of thinking that it's all about what happens on the pitch.

Let’s be honest, unless that can magic up the media’s support, whilst convincing the BBC to be a a quasi PR company, as they are for the RFU, what realistic could they offer?

What RL needs is a decent administrator and marketing guru. Hopefully the team putting the World Cup together will join the RFL.

45 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

They are taking Sinfield for his name 

what Kevin? i suppose there will be a shortage of kevins in rah rah - are we getting a toby or a rory in return?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

14 minutes ago, Mark S said:

Let’s be honest, unless that can magic up the media’s support, whilst convincing the BBC to be a a quasi PR company, as they are for the RFU, what realistic could they offer?

What RL needs is a decent administrator and marketing guru. Hopefully the team putting the World Cup together will join the RFL.

It needs more internationals, first and foremost. Next week England are playing their first game for nearly three years, against a made-up team, on the same day as six Super League clubs take the field. It's a joke, frankly. 

2 hours ago, M j M said:

Are they really going to quickly promote someone to the top of their sport, whose record in coaching and administration are middling at best - just to trigger the Leaguies?

Coincidence...early June....wheels turning?

The Rugby Football Union is looking for a new coach to run England's attack, but Jones says for this summer period he will return to a more hands-on role.

"I coached attack from 2016 until 2018, until [former attack coach] Scott Wisemantel took over," Jones said.

"So we are just winding back the clock a little bit there, because I want our attack to be able to adapt to how the game is going.

"The game is going in a quicker, more instinctive way, and I think at the moment I am probably the best person to do that.

"I will need an assistant in the future and will maybe need someone to take it over in the future. But for this period of time, where I want to set some stones in place for the foundation, I think I am the best person to do it."

The RFU has taken the rare move of welcoming applications for the job, rather than rely on Jones to headhunt a particular individual.

"My network is reasonable, but I don't have access to every coach that is in the UK particularly," Jones explained.

"So is there someone out there I don't know who can do a great job for us?

"The reality is with Premiership clubs [coaches] are under contract. Everyone who is a coach is in contract. But at the end of the day we need to find the best coaches for England."

24 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

what Kevin? i suppose there will be a shortage of kevins in rah rah - are we getting a toby or a rory in return?

You know what I mean 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Not so long ago there was a proposal for a giant Kevin Sinfield Mural . I think on the side of The Skyrack . Seems to have gone quiet ,maybe lack of funds 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

5 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

For example, what happened to the RL Conference that was played in the late 90's?  

Sometimes it is best not to betray your ignorance when complaining about the state of the world.

He is a big name within the game so he is a loss in that respect, however I don’t think that he’s pulled up any trees since he’s been back at Headingley. I actually think that Agar would be better suited to the DOR at leeds rather than the head coaches gig, and would do a better job than Sinfield. He has got an eye for talent spotting and his knowledge has never been in doubt.

From the outside looking  it looks like there was a disagreement with Sinfield and the club as to what his future role at the club was to be, and obviously when told what his future role would be he clearly didn't like it and decided to leave at the end of the season

No doubt in my mind that Leeds will just find another person to take on the role that Sinfield turned down and just move on.

Confirmed here:

Leeds have confirmed that director of rugby Kevin Sinfield OBE will leave the club at the end of the current season.

The 40-year-old former Leeds and England captain will join Steve Borthwick’s coaching staff at Leicester Tigers, the Premiership Rugby have confirmed.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/kevin-sinfield-to-leave-leeds-at-end-of-season/

Archived