Kevin Sinfield - to leicester

22 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

From the outside looking  it looks like there was a disagreement with Sinfield and the club as to what his future role at the club was to be, and obviously when told what his future role would be he clearly didn't like it and decided to leave at the end of the season

No doubt in my mind that Leeds will just find another person to take on the role that Sinfield turned down and just move on.

Quite. He took on a desk job and then it appears he didn't want to do a desk job.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, M j M said:

Quite. He took on a desk job and then it appears he didn't want to do a desk job.

Leeds must have spent a fair bit of money sending him on business courses to make sure he was Au Fait when he took on his new role at the club and now that money is wasted. or union will benefit from it.

He should be made to repay the money Leeds spend on sending him on these courses

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Jenna Brooke's says he is going as "DEFENCE" coach, really, I used to take pleasure in counting the number of tackles he missed in a game, stood in the wrong position or took a wrong defensive decision, considering that he should do well in Union! 

Mike Ford was a defense coach in union but when he played TGG he couldn't defend to save his life

21 minutes ago, M j M said:

29 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Jenna Brooke's says he is going as "DEFENCE" coach, really, I used to take pleasure in counting the number of tackles he missed in a game, stood in the wrong position or took a wrong defensive decision, considering that he should do well in Union! 

I remember a try saving tackle which probably won the game in a GF 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

21 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

I remember watching Shaun Johnson dancing around him to score a winning try that knocked us out of the World Cup.

25 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Swallows and Summers FCG.

I remember a missed tackle that lost a World Cup semi-final!

Admirers of player's any player miss these kind of things, it takes a critique to point them out, Sinfield had a load of defensive inadequacies.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Leigh could do with taking someone on as their Defensive Coach 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Great.

The joke's on union then.

🙄

2 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

Leeds must have spent a fair bit of money sending him on business courses to make sure he was Au Fait when he took on his new role at the club and now that money is wasted. or union will benefit from it.

He should be made to repay the money Leeds spend on sending him on these courses

Mike Ford was a defense coach in union but when he played TGG he couldn't defend to save his life

is that a fact? Leeds sent him on business courses?

Is that a fact? A union defence coach needs business courses?

In my opinion, the episode illustrates the limited number of opportunities for ex players in rugby league, and the value that rugby union places on the best ex league players.

Kev Sinfield was a great player. Kev Sinfield leaving a desk job at Leeds to go to Leicester RU as defence coach shows that there is a depth of knowledge that RU can capitalise on. For example Phil Larder joined RU and was part of their England 2003 world cup win. However Kev leaving a Leeds desk job is not a loss to RL. Kev should have been able to join the RL coaching circuit. 

There is no doubt in my view that  Sinfield was a great player. Of course, no one is perfect and all players make "mistakes" Needless rubbishing of Sinfield does nothing to address the issue: the opportunities in our game for ex players, who need to earn for upwards of 30 or more years before retirement, are severely limited, as is the money, possibly, too.  Sinfield won't be the last to take this path, just as he wasn't the first.

19 minutes ago, voteronniegibbs said:

Kev Sinfield was a great player. Kev Sinfield leaving a desk job at Leeds to go to Leicester RU as defence coach shows that there is a depth of knowledge that RU can capitalise on. For example Phil Larder joined RU and was part of their England 2003 world cup win. However Kev leaving a Leeds desk job is not a loss to RL. Kev should have been able to join the RL coaching circuit. 

Kev has never been stopped from joining the RL coaching circuit. Is this a lack of job satisfaction or taking the money from RU? I don’t think he’s done owt since he’s gone back anyway.

It’s not the end of the world, RL has far bigger issues than Kev Sinfield leaving.

His playing legacy for Leeds will last forever, and his off-field work for MND will always be huge, and rightly so.

However, his record in the job he was being paid for is mixed at best:

Recruitment - since he returned has been average to poor. Some good signings (Gale), some wastes of money and some very ordinary players signing and re-signing.  

Coach - He helped get rid of McDermott which was good. Sadly his chosen successor Furner was a disaster on his watch. He did at least pull the pin on Furner reasonably quickly, but not before an awful lot of damage had been done. Agar was a stop-gap who's done OK, but probably not a long-term solution.

Youth - big plus as the setup seems to be finally in order after years of neglect.

For Leeds moving forward, I'd hope we can have a proper clean break with the recent successful team.  Too many jobs for ex players with no record away from Leeds is no way to rebuild IMO.

6 hours ago, Morris Wanchuk said:

Kev has never been stopped from joining the RL coaching circuit. Is this a lack of job satisfaction or taking the money from RU? I don’t think he’s done owt since he’s gone back anyway.

It’s not the end of the world, RL has far bigger issues than Kev Sinfield leaving.

Oh really? In any case, him leaving is symptomatic of the issues the game faces. 

10 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Admirers of player's any player miss these kind of things, it takes a critique to point them out, Sinfield had a load of defensive inadequacies.

Good heavens 

FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

10 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

He is probably the main reason Leeds won all them GFs some against the odds . It was said at the time a group of 3 players were involved the coaching and motivation.  I must take a look at some of those finals on e again and see those sad faces crying in the rain.  Thanks for everything thing Kev 

JAMIE PEACOCK

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Oh really? In any case, him leaving is symptomatic of the issues the game faces. 

These symptoms can only be overcome by getting more money in the game. Players, coaches and admin staff all should be paid much more money in order to make the game more attractive. Getting more money in the game means that we either put focus on the international game (look at the brands the World Cup has attracted). Or we try and make the club game more commercially attractive, which will require (whether we like it or not) expansion.

The game needs to evolve, unfortunately that will means leaving a though people (and clubs) behind.

1 hour ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

He is probably the main reason Leeds won all them GFs some against the odds . It was said at the time a group of 3 players were involved the coaching and motivation.  I must take a look at some of those finals on e again and see those sad faces crying in the rain.  Thanks for everything thing Kev 

Won't disagree at all with that statement FCG.

Always said that Mr Sinfield was a very good domestic player and one of the best for Leeds in the SL era, but to be classed as 'Great' that domestic form has to be transferred to the International stage, up against the Aussies and the Kiwi's he could not make that transition to make an impression within that company, and that after 'shoehorning' him to find a position beit 13, 6, 7, or 9. Had he been as influential as he was at the Rhino's England/GB would have been a much stronger proposition, sadly he wasn't.

And nobody would have been more pleased than me to call him a 'Great'.

MONEY IS MONEY ... but it’s still a shame for the British RL to bring in Australian coaches and let Shaun Edwards, Mike Ford, Andy Farrell and now Kev Sinfield go ... learn real rugby to the Union players 🙄

Archived