1 minute ago, Lapsed Leeds Fan said:

Realistically, what options did Leeds have? Plead with him to stay? They probably tried that and his mind was set on leaving. Try to redefine his role? Leicester would just come back to him and say he can create the job he wants. Offer him more money? It would still be matched and probably beaten by Leicester. 

Sometimes we just have to realise that a bigger sport with bigger pockets can come and poach our talent. Unless we want to bankrupt ourselves in the process there’s little we can do.

When RU backroom staff positions outnumber those in RL by at least threefold, and there are dozens more RU clubs with the financial clout to tempt people from RL, the traffic will be one way. 

Years ago I used to be infuriated by defections to RU. Now I simply acknowledge that they are an inevitable part of being a rugby league fan. It’s annoying, but we are an under-funded sport in a fiercely competitive market. It’s a wonder that this doesn’t happen more often.

We also need to remember that it isn’t just RU that takes our talent, although it is always the one that hurts the most.

I absolutely understand that and largely agree. And if it was just the odd unknown backroom person jumping ship then it could be shrugged off, just as I did when Andy Farrell or Iestyn Harris or Jason Robinson switched codes - their loss I said. 
As has been said before, Sinfield and the other Leeds players of his era could have joined other clubs for more money but chose not to. Why was this? Because they wanted to be part of something special. Money wasn’t the overriding factor here but the feeling.

RL doesn’t have to bankrupt itself trying to spend money it hasn’t got, nor should it try. It just needs to have a sense of direction that people want to be part of and generate a feeling of ‘wild horses wouldn’t keep them away’ rather than looking over the fence and seeing how good the neighbours have it. RL seems to have no plan other than to stumble by season to season and hope for the best. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It needs more internationals, first and foremost. Next week England are playing their first game for nearly three years, against a made-up team, on the same day as six Super League clubs take the fiel

The next generation of referees: 12-year-old Archie takes charge of first game Competitive Super League can help lead England to World Cup glory How Forth Valley Vikings became Scotland’s

Although this looks like it may be bad news for RL in general, I think we should all look on the positive side. Going to Leicester RU might mean he stops posting drivel and trolling on here.

As disappointing as it is to lose yet another of our few recognised faces, I don't get what the issue is here. The sport in England has made its direction of travel clear, and people with ambition will always seek more than it is willing and able to offer. I'd have thought everyone had recognised that by now.

• Like 2

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Move on to where? Where is it going exactly? 

I know some are keen to dismiss this as just some admin guy switching roles (which is pretty desperate anyway) but he’s possibly the only RL player non RL fans might know. A lot of that will be as a result of the sad Rob Burrow situation but nonetheless they’ll know him. He wasn’t a particular favourite of mine but was one of the modern day legends of RL. And now he’s working in RU along with numerous other RL luminaries.

And this is just ‘one of those things’? 🤔🤔

Rugby League is in a perpetual state of going nowhere, the fans wouldn’t have it any other way. RL represents the UK’s working class attitude of, ‘yeah things are bit ######, but we’re appy’.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I absolutely understand that and largely agree. And if it was just the odd unknown backroom person jumping ship then it could be shrugged off, just as I did when Andy Farrell or Iestyn Harris or Jason Robinson switched codes - their loss I said. 
As has been said before, Sinfield and the other Leeds players of his era could have joined other clubs for more money but chose not to. Why was this? Because they wanted to be part of something special. Money wasn’t the overriding factor here but the feeling.

RL doesn’t have to bankrupt itself trying to spend money it hasn’t got, nor should it try. It just needs to have a sense of direction that people want to be part of and generate a feeling of ‘wild horses wouldn’t keep them away’ rather than looking over the fence and seeing how good the neighbours have it. RL seems to have no plan other than to stumble by season to season and hope for the best. 

36 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Sorry but you are confused and so are most others.  This is the sign of the times.  Hard Times.

Hetherington has lost the plot as well, not least in the way he has politicked against SL and the ideas of Elstone.

Sinfield is going for the money and the ambition that goes with it.  His son will go once his contract is up. The best thing Leeds could do is make money out of his transfer.  Like Farrell he can move onto a bigger stage... if he is good enough.

This disaster is emblematic  of rugby league.   It has been in the back foot ever since the professionalisation of RU and gets worse with every new dumbassed rule change.  Sinfield was RFL performance director once, for gawdsake! Now he could be on track to do the same, may be more, for the RFU.  How many people thought Andy Farrell would be head coach for a 6 Nations team?

Hetherington was opposed to bringing money into SL and now it's bitten him back.  It is now I suspect too late to get money into SL.  How long before Sale start spending their money?

But come on you readership...  wise up to reality.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

Sorry but you are confused and so are most others.  This is the sign of the times.  Hard Times.

Hetherington has lost the plot as well, not least in the way he has politicked against SL and the ideas of Elstone.

Sinfield is going for the money and the ambition that goes with it.  His son will go once his contract is up. The best thing Leeds could do is make money out of his transfer.  Like Farrell he can move onto a bigger stage... if he is good enough.

This disaster is emblematic  of rugby league.   It has been in the back foot ever since the professionalisation of RU and gets worse with every new dumbassed rule change.  Sinfield was RFL performance director once, for gawdsake! Now he could be on track to do the same, may be more, for the RFU.  How many people thought Andy Farrell would be head coach for a 6 Nations team?

Hetherington was opposed to bringing money into SL and now it's bitten him back.  It is now I suspect too late to get money into SL.  How long before Sale start spending their money?

How am I confused? I agree with most of what you say 

But in Sinfields case, I doubt if he's going purely for the money. It's probably a factor but not *the* reason. 

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Mark S said:

Rugby League is in a perpetual state of going nowhere, the fans wouldn’t have it any other way. RL represents the UK’s working class attitude of, ‘yeah things are bit ######, but we’re appy’.

'appy? Since when? 😂😂

34 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

As disappointing as it is to lose yet another of our few recognised faces, I don't get what the issue is here. The sport in England has made its direction of travel clear, and people with ambition will always seek more than it is willing and able to offer. I'd have thought everyone had recognised that by now.

It didn't have to have been this way though. Some would have left RL regardless but it could have been in a better place than it is 

3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

How am I confused? I agree with most of what you say 

But in Sinfields case, I doubt if he's going purely for the money. It's probably a factor but not *the* reason. 

'the money and the ambition at comes with it'

With Leicester it's not just domestic honours, it's international ones.  People will sit up and listen to what he had to say now, on a real stage.  Of course he has to be good enough  ... We will have to see.  He probably is.

But it does not matter what clever things RFL/SL say or do.  It is just a few squeaks compared to the big noise RU is making.   And it's all down to money... investment. 

13 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Pretty damning reasons for leaving Leeds. 

Perhaps you should clarify, as all I have read is snippets on BBC Sport.

The fact that he and Heatherington. cannot agree on a significant strategy is significant.

But it could all be a smokescreen to hide the fact that Sinfield has been tapped up by a bigger more ambitious club, and indeed a whole sport.

5 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Perhaps you should clarify, as all I have read is snippets on BBC Sport.

The fact that he and Heatherington. cannot agree on a significant strategy is significant.

But it could all be a smokescreen to hide the fact that Sinfield has been tapped up by a bigger more ambitious club, and indeed a whole sport.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/kevin-sinfield-opens-up-decision-24337902.amp

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Seems he's been doing Uncle Gary's donkey work and he'd rather be a coach.

Fair enough but we don't know if he's actually any good as a coach. Leeds have been pretty ordinary for a while now.  

I would have thought that with Mr Hetherington wanting to do less and getting to a stage to retire that it was a good opportunity for subsequently a much bigger role - assuming that is if it was something you would want.   He  has decided that isn't for him and he wants to be more involved in coaching. 

The role of taking on more and more of Hetherington roles as in CEO would to me seem to be a big role for someone of ambition for such a role, obviously not for Sinfield but to repeat I would have thought it to be a big role and certainly one for an ambitious individual. It doesn't fit if you want to be coaching more but its a huge role and one that is coming and could have been one that Sinfields current role could have grown fully into.

Edited by redjonn
On 15/06/2021 at 23:38, Spotty Herbert said:

How many journalists have reported that he is going? Is it just one rugby union reporter looking for a scoop and getting it wrong, or are there multiple sources reporting it? If the latter I am more prepared to be convinced it might happen. If its just one person making a guess to generate a headline I will just say "Nosey Parker" 

Aye - no worries Herbert, it's just one guy.

Nothing to worry about.

🙄

20 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Ahead of the 21/22 season would mean before the end of the RL season...

Yup. He'll be gone pretty soon.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

A horrible, horrible loss to the sport.

The one recognisable face the game in the UK has, outside of the Rugby League fanbase.

Someone mentioned a PR coup for union, but I think it is a much bigger PR blow for Rugby League.

From performance director for the RFL.... To assistant coach at a union club.

I think the game as a whole in the UK needs to take a serious look at itself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

You're still angry that Hetherington and McManus stopped the rest of the league signing up to borrow some money off loan sharks 😳 🤡

29 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Interesting times at Leeds with Sinfield off and Agar linked with Cronulla. 

Agar is staying at Leeds.

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

I would have thought that with Mr Hetherington wanting to do less and getting to a stage to retire that it was a good opportunity for subsequently a much bigger role - assuming that is if it was something you would want.   He  has decided that isn't for him and he wants to be more involved in coaching. 

The role of taking on more and more of Hetherington roles as in CEO would to me seem to be a big role for someone of ambition for such a role, obviously not for Sinfield but to repeat I would have thought it to be a big role and certainly one for an ambitious individual. It doesn't fit if you want to be coaching more but its a huge role and one that is coming and could have been one that Sinfields current role could have grown fully into.

Sinfield was brought into do take the DOR role off Hetherington (identifying and managing talent, sorting contracts, managing the salary cap etc etc etc). There was a long-term suggestion he was going to take over the rest of the CEO role as well although that would be a big step as it's largely a business rather than a Rugby League-style position.

The fact that he found even the DOR role too far distant from the on-field stuff, and there was clearly no vacancy for him on the Leeds coaching staff, means that this is inevitable if he wants to get his hands dirty. There's no reason for him to move to RU though but I guess that's up to him once he was no longer happy with the role he'd signed up to at Leeds.

Personally, I'm sorry he's going but as an administrator and a coach he's hardly some irreplaceable talent.

• Like 1