Cup final tickets

42 minutes ago, Damien said:

The thing is a lot of people, for whatever reason, don't want to sit and watch 2 RL games back to back. Being stuck in Wembley, or any stadium, for 4 hours simply doesn't appeal to a lot of people.

Wembley is a particularly awful one to be stuck in when there are lengthy gaps between games - not that any are great but some give themselves over a bit more whereas Wembley is a very unwelcoming and unlovely beast.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, gingerjon said:

Wembley is a particularly awful one to be stuck in when there are lengthy gaps between games - not that any are great but some give themselves over a bit more whereas Wembley is a very unwelcoming and unlovely beast.

I found it okay in Club Wembley the other year, Boxpark before the game, first half of Wire-Saints in seats, second half in Three Lions bar, then out to seats again for Widnes-Sheffield

I don’t think the rest of the ground is set up for multiple games though

20 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I found it okay in Club Wembley the other year, Boxpark before the game, first half of Wire-Saints in seats, second half in Three Lions bar, then out to seats again for Widnes-Sheffield

I don’t think the rest of the ground is set up for multiple games though

Pretty much that. There are other grounds where you don't need to be in the special seats for it to be an alright place to wait around/mingle etc between matches.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Pretty much that. There are other grounds where you don't need to be in the special seats for it to be an alright place to wait around/mingle etc between matches.

For me Cardiff will always remain the best for Magic Type events down to its location, and ease getting in and out as you wish

Just now, Spidey said:

For me Cardiff will always remain the best for Magic Type events down to its location, and ease getting in and out as you wish

And, not coincidentally, the whole thing was created *for* the Millennium Stadium.

I was in the neutral section above and to the left of the scoreboard and had a great view of the York fans. Not sure where the belief that they all decided to ‘sod off at 2pm’ comes from. I reckon 75% stayed, most had come on the club coaches which didn’t leave until the final game. I can understand a good chunk of Fev fans leaving the ground for a few hours to celebrate their win before getting the coach back but from my viewpoint most York fans stayed put. Thought they were both good games anyway. 

1 hour ago, AB Knight said:

I was in the neutral section above and to the left of the scoreboard and had a great view of the York fans. Not sure where the belief that they all decided to ‘sod off at 2pm’ comes from. I reckon 75% stayed, most had come on the club coaches which didn’t leave until the final game. I can understand a good chunk of Fev fans leaving the ground for a few hours to celebrate their win before getting the coach back but from my viewpoint most York fans stayed put. Thought they were both good games anyway. 

From where I was sat, I think a decent proportion of Fev fans stayed too - just that they went back to their seats rather than all stood up together. 

Seemed like considerably fewer neutrals this year (understandably) but I still saw jerseys from most SL and Championship clubs - contingent of 20+ from Barrow for example.  

1 hour ago, Chris Taylor said:

Thought this for a long time. Value for money magic weekend wins hands down. 

Save up, do both. 

We stopped off on our way home and i was talking to some Cas fans who were brilliant. But they said “a section of Fev fan’s were a disgrace in the ground and outside of it”, i told them “the Fev fan’s we chatted to before the game were excellent and they wanted us to win”. But they were adamant that some of the flat-cappers were plastered and ready to fight with anyone. Myself i don’t know if that is true, and im hoping it isnt after two great matches. 

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

I was there for that game.  England on telly first led to a mass exodus when Australia started pulling away and after Englands heartbreaking loss. 

Yeah I dont like semi final double headers tbh.  Much rather good sized grounds York (8500) on one side and a Warrington or Widnes on the other. 

Two full houses that are packed.  

8.5K for a Semi Final? That’s aiming really low

1 hour ago, Josef K said:

We stopped off on our way home and i was talking to some Cas fans who were brilliant. But they said “a section of Fev fan’s were a disgrace in the ground and outside of it”, i told them “the Fev fan’s we chatted to before the game were excellent and they wanted us to win”. But they were adamant that some of the flat-cappers were plastered and ready to fight with anyone. Myself i don’t know if that is true, and im hoping it isnt after two great matches. 

Well Josef K that appears to contradict both the security and police, who were supervising that end of the stadium. Fev fans were told it had been an easy day and wished the Fev supporters a safe journey home. This is from an someone actually in the Fev end. What's the fascination in trying to stir sh*t up for Fev after a great display and effort from both teams.

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yeah I dont like semi final double headers tbh.  Much rather good sized grounds York (8500) on one side and a Warrington or Widnes on the other. 

Two full houses that are packed.  

Than 67k in Wembley?

England alone in 2013 would have attracted basically the same attendance.

9 hours ago, Scubby said:

In decades watching RL I have never witnessed a UK crowd like the 2013 WC semi final. The crowd was 67,000 

were u at elland rd in 82? the cc replay widnes v hull? there must have been 70000 in that ground - based on the old football stadium values of - pay at turnstile- ask norman how full its looking - theres a bit more room darn ere kid 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

15 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Dont understand your comment.  I am talking about Challenge Cup semi finals,  not rlwc one. 

Guess I didn’t understand yours; since it was quoting Scubby’s who was talking about a WC SF double header. 

6 hours ago, wasginger said:

Well Josef K that appears to contradict both the security and police, who were supervising that end of the stadium. Fev fans were told it had been an easy day and wished the Fev supporters a safe journey home. This is from an someone actually in the Fev end. What's the fascination in trying to stir sh*t up for Fev after a great display and effort from both teams.

I wasn’t stirring anything up if you looked at what i read, i said i didn’t see any bother and the Fev fans we were talking too were really nice people. It was some Cas fans who said Fev were causing bother. 

20 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yep we cant make people stay but double headers only work if people stay to watch them.  

I do worry how much magic weekend became an affordable wembley alternative. 

Problem with that is CC is on FTA and magic is behind a paywall. 

The double header isnt about watching both games, its about not hiring 2 venues at 2 costs, Wembley had already been paid for so in essence a free venue for the final. Wembley was never going to sell out so free money to the RFL for tickets sold on top of the CC tickets.

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

The double header isnt about watching both games, its about not hiring 2 venues at 2 costs, Wembley had already been paid for so in essence a free venue for the final. Wembley was never going to sell out so free money to the RFL for tickets sold on top of the CC tickets.

I don't think its true that it's a free venue. You are still hiring a stadium for at least an additional 2 hours with all the associated staffing costs on top of that. I'm certain the RFL won't be paying the same for 1 match v 2.

6 hours ago, Damien said:

I don't think its true that it's a free venue. You are still hiring a stadium for at least an additional 2 hours with all the associated staffing costs on top of that. I'm certain the RFL won't be paying the same for 1 match v 2.

Maybe they pay for the day rate?

Baring in mind usual the Stephen Mullaney schoolboy match is normally played pre-cup final.

If the game could fit all 3 games in, schoolboy, ladies final & mens final that would make a lovely occasion.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

On 18/07/2021 at 08:55, Leonard said:

Yes - it was nowhere near 45k - although I think the Fev and York fans all left after their game. Certainly a lady and her son next to us did and the areas with fans for that game were empty for the CC final.

Most Fev fans stayed for both finals. Can't speak for York as I was in the other end.

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

3 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Anyone know the attendance on Saturday? Haven't seen it published anywhere yet.

A restricted crowd of 40,000 were in attendance for the final, the biggest at a rugby league game in the UK since the Covid-19 pandemic began, and Woolf was delighted his team were able to celebrate with the St Helens fans who made the trip to Wembley.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12196/12358022/challenge-cup-final-2021-kristian-woolf-praises-st-helens-hunger-to-keep-winning-trophies

And from where I was sitting in the Lower Tier I would say with te naked eye that's about right.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

40k seems about right 

After being moved from Club Wembley my lot, though disappointed, were ok with the seats we were given, as it gave a different perspective on the game, and in row 9, certainly close to the action. 

The Club Wembley block we should have been in had 3 rows of 10 empty seats, so its still baffling, why 4 of us were unable to be accommodated. The fans we spoke to one side of us in the lower tier were also moved from CW. 

But a good day and also a fast, exciting game.

18 hours ago, Josef K said:

I wasn’t stirring anything up if you looked at what i read, i said i didn’t see any bother and the Fev fans we were talking too were really nice people. It was some Cas fans who said Fev were causing bother. 

Do you know Josef my feet are burning off. That's with jumping in both feet. Thanks for putting a silly old b****r in his place. lol

Archived