EURO 2020 ('21) THREAD

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I love big tournaments, although I think the expansion to 24 teams has considerably lessened the euros. You could make an argument that a 16 team Euros was the highest standard international tournament, but adding 8 poorer quality teams has made it much weaker overall. 

Usually I'd be crazy excited about the opening game but I'm less so this time. When most 3rd place teams go through, it makes the group games less important. It reminds me of how I felt about the top 8 playoff in SL. England could have 2 poor results and still be in the second round. Scotland's quest to reach a knockout round for the first time is cheapened this way too.

As for England, I think many are harsh on Southgate. Maybe I'm longer in the tooth than many, but at least this England team looks like they've played football before. For around 10-15 years we'd reach major tournaments and be unable to string 2 passes together. Yes we'd make it to pens but after having created about 1 chance in 120 minutes.

Croatia will be tough, but I'm dreading the Scotland game. They seem to be in a positive place and could use the emotion to get a shock result.

Apparently, finishing top could be the worst thing we could do being guaranteed a match against someone from the group of death as a reward. 

I agree about the expansion and the format . I remember when it was 8 teams , 16 was right I thought . I’ve just looked at the draw in my free Daily Mirror pull out , and the group of death awaits either in round 2 or the QF . It’s a tough draw , this sometimes seems harder to win than the WC . 

30 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Judging by how often Holland is still used, I think they've got an uphill battle. 

Ivory Coast is still used by a lot of people despite, I think, Côte d’Ivoire being the country’s official name. Same with Cape Verde/Cabo Verde.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Ivory Coast is still used by a lot of people despite, I think, Côte d’Ivoire being the country’s official name. Same with Cape Verde/Cabo Verde.

I always thought it was Costa de Marfil. What do I know?

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

i dont want to be accused of living in the past again but who the hell are these bland boring characterless bunch? i have never heard of most of them - used to like watching england play big games but not interested anymore

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I kind of get how ordinary people might still use Holland and not understand the difference (much like when Americans say England for the UK), but when the Telegraph still use it that shows a fair bit of contempt.

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I agree about the expansion and the format . I remember when it was 8 teams , 16 was right I thought . I’ve just looked at the draw in my free Daily Mirror pull out , and the group of death awaits either in round 2 or the QF . It’s a tough draw , this sometimes seems harder to win than the WC . 

It certainly used to be, now a team could avoid a really hard draw. Take Portugal, in any tournament pre-2016 they'd have gone out in the groups with only 3 draws (against poorer opposition too). They then met Croatia, Poland and Wales to get to the final.

If we finish the top 2 of the group, we're almost certainly meeting the group of death in either the 2nd round or quarters. We're well overdue knocking out a big team and it's got to happen sometime so you never know!

If you look at a list of Euros winners, England are such a glaring and obvious omission that's in reality it's pretty embarrassing that we've never won it.

I'm under no illusion that we'll necessarily ever be the best team in the tournament, but if Greece, Denmark, Czech and even 2016 Portugal have won it we certainly could. 

36 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

If you look at a list of Euros winners, England are such a glaring and obvious omission that's in reality it's pretty embarrassing that we've never won it.

When you consider the Netherlands have had better teams, it's not such a glaring omission.

England's only success was achieved without Spurs players, although with a former Tottenham player in charge. Since the early 60's, Tottenham have been serial failures.

15 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

When you consider the Netherlands have had better teams, it's not such a glaring omission.

England's only success was achieved without Spurs players, although with a former Tottenham player in charge. Since the early 60's, Tottenham have been serial failures.

There is only Harry Kane in the squad from Spurs this time, so no Tottenham excuse this time. Anyway he was the top scorer in Russia 2018.

Tottenham since the 60's ie from 1970 have won the FA cup three times,  League Cup four times and UEFA Cup twice,  okay no Championships but hardly failures,  not like say West Ham.

29 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

There is only Harry Kane in the squad from Spurs this time, so no Tottenham excuse this time. Anyway he was the top scorer in Russia 2018.

Tottenham since the 60's ie from 1970 have won the FA cup three times,  League Cup four times and UEFA Cup twice,  okay no Championships but hardly failures,  not like say West Ham.

Thanks for that. However my first FA final cup memory is Spurs beating Chelski in 1967.  Comparing them to West Ham is no excuse. I'm almost old enough to remember when Burnley and Spurs were still rivals.

1 hour ago, Mister Ting said:

The Netherlands have won it. 

1 minute ago, Maximus Decimus said:

How could I forget Van Basten, Gullit and co. And not a single Spurs player in sight.

4 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

It certainly used to be, now a team could avoid a really hard draw. Take Portugal, in any tournament pre-2016 they'd have gone out in the groups with only 3 draws (against poorer opposition too). They then met Croatia, Poland and Wales to get to the final.

If we finish the top 2 of the group, we're almost certainly meeting the group of death in either the 2nd round or quarters. We're well overdue knocking out a big team and it's got to happen sometime so you never know!

I'm under no illusion that we'll necessarily ever be the best team in the tournament, but if Greece, Denmark, Czech and even 2016 Portugal have won it we certainly could. 

They could have won it in all of those years but were nowhere near good enough.

In 1976 Czechoslovakia eliminated England at the group stage. Denmark and Sweden eliminated them in 1992. They went out in the Quarter finals to Portugal in 2004 who lost to winners Greece twice. Then in 2016 they were knocked out by Iceland, one of the poorer opposition Portugal "only" drew with, who lost 5-2 next game. 

They were lucky with the draw in the last world cup when all the top sides were in the other half and still couldn't reach the final. 

11 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Any excuse

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I'm worried about England's chances this time as our success is directly linked to how good the kit is.*

This years kit is a shocker and the away isn't even red! 

* I'm completely ignoring the fact that Euro 92's kit was essentially the same as Italia 90's.

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Looking forward to the opening game between Italy and Turkey.

Going to miss all the Saturday games bonanza due to other commitments.

Then back on Sunday.

I cant wait. The goal is every game now im unemployed. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Archived