EURO 2020 ('21) THREAD

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Indeed . Theyve a good turnout

There are a lot about 😊

It wasn't a good result for Turkey in the end. However finishing second gives a potentially winnable couple of knockout games so still all to play for.

10 hours ago, Niels said:

There are a lot about 😊

It wasn't a good result for Turkey in the end. However finishing second gives a potentially winnable couple of knockout games so still all to play for.

I hope they’ve got a lot more than that because it looked like they gave it up from near the start 

21 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The current crop of England players have had experience of success in the various youth tournaments, which might be a help this time around. To be honest, I really don't know. I have neither high, low or medium expectations at the moment.

There’s some really good footballers in this current crop; players who like being on the ball. Grealish, Bellingham, Mount etc… it’s not often we’ve been able to say that. The likes of Gerrard, Lampard et al were great footballers but high energy and not great at retaining possession. Hopefully this current crop can bring that to the national team as it’s needed at this level. 

What is going on right now with Christian Eriksen is very scary. Surely they can't play on?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

What is going on right now with Christian Eriksen is very scary. Surely they can't play on?

Collapsed , they were giving him CPR so maybe a heart attack . Awful 

Finally, they cut away to the studio.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seems that it was whoever broadcasts on behalf of UEFA who chose the feed we all saw. The BBC was far from alone in not cutting to a studio or just away from football entirely. A pox on all of them.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Seems that it was whoever broadcasts on behalf of UEFA who chose the feed we all saw. The BBC was far from alone in not cutting to a studio or just away from football entirely. A pox on all of them.

Indeed . And then a picture of his wife being comforted . Sickening 

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Indeed . And then a picture of his wife being comforted . Sickening 

That was completely unforgivable.

As has been pointed out, they manage to cut away from streakers without so much of a glimpse of a flying cock but for this we need close ups of emergency CPR?

I fear for the worst and pray for the best for the player. Nothing else matters right now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I just read about it on the BBC site now.

Like everyone I am shocked and glad he has stabilised. 

He is such a classy and graceful player. Also the medical staff appear to have reacted excellently.

Rapid fire treatment , absolutely vital . I’m so pleased it’s good news . One positive is they’ll now check him and test him thoroughly to see what the underlying problem is . That was a warning , some people in that situation never get the second chance .All the best to him 

15 minutes ago, Spidey said:

So relieved 

If ever there was an example of a horrible corporate statement this was it. 

The main message there shouldn't have been the afterthought. 

Fantastic response from the referee, trainer, medics and the Danish players. I wish I hadn't seen it but Schmeichel and Kjaer comforting Eriksen's wife was just heartbreaking. My thoughts immediately went to Lizzie Jones, but imagine actually being there. I can't. Fingers crossed that he's OK.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Chuffing hell, they've come back out to finish it!

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Archived