EURO 2020 ('21) THREAD

First 20 was good , that’s what we want to see . Good energy there . Lot of the rest was pretty tepid with lots of passing it about without edge . I never thought they were a threat really , they’re an aging side hanging onto that WC final . We need to keep it better when we’re in front , and up tempo we look lively and will trouble teams . Kane looked completely knackered but Phillips was good and the more from Foden and Mount ( and Grealish in future ) the better . I hope Bellingham will play a big part to as we go on .  Overall first game is just result then build

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried watching it, I really did, but after about 3 minutes I went out and mowed my front garden. I finished and went back inside to find it was half time and 0-0.

I laid out in my freshly cut garden for about half an hour then went back inside again to find it was still 0-0 after 57 mins, I think.

I tried watching again and England finally scored. Nothing of any note happened after that.

Is this really the beautiful game and our national sport?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

On 09/06/2021 at 09:06, Johnoco said:

Growing up it was a well known stat that Spurs were the only team to have won the double in the 20th century. Which they last did in 1961? 

The above could both be wrong as I’m getting close to being a senile old git. 

Were you still growing up after 1971 when Arsenal did the double?

4 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Just noticed in the schedule that North Macedonia are next up. How long have they been a country?

They’ve been forced to rebrand from Macedonia to North Macedonia after complaints from Greece.

But they’ve been competing as a separate country for quite awhile.

England have played them for example in a qualifying group.

3 points in the bag, no goals conceded, no injuries, only 1 yellow card, job done. A steady but unspectacular start for England.

We've had worse.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Just noticed in the schedule that North Macedonia are next up. How long have they been a country?

They used to be part of Yugoslavia so sometime since that broke up. They were then FYR Macedonia, blocked by Greece from using the name Macedonia, because part of Macedonia is in Greece, finally all agreed on North Macedonia. They have a pretty funky flag by European standards.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Just now, Futtocks said:

3 ooints in the bag, no goals conceded, no injuries, only 1 yellow card, job done. A steady but unspectacular start for England.

We've had worse.

I thought we were much better than that. This isn't the gung-ho Premier League and it was 30 degrees out there. They passed well, they defended brilliantly and it will give those young players tremendous confidence.

Watching England platers who can pass and can control the ball is a breath of fresh air. I've been watching them for 50 years and we're rarely short of effort and pride but often very short of composure.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

On 11/06/2021 at 07:24, gingerjon said:

Greece played a remorselessly defensive approach that probably wouldn't work now but absolutely did the job. Their dullness was compelling in an odd way. 

I saw a documentary which I think was called World Cup Hellas about the ill-fated Greek campaign in 1994.

Consequently I got behind them as underdogs through the 2004 Euros, until there was a point towards the end of their semi when a sort of buyer`s remorse hit me, along the lines of "this lot are rubbish, they`ll ruin the final" - which they duly did.

31 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

They’ve been forced to rebrand from Macedonia to North Macedonia after complaints from Greece.

But they’ve been competing as a separate country for quite awhile.

England have played them for example in a qualifying group.

So it’s Macedonia , they haven’t split in two ?

33 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

3 points in the bag, no goals conceded, no injuries, only 1 yellow card, job done. A steady but unspectacular start for England.

We've had worse.

Listening to the post match analysis we don’t really do middle ground .... we were basically Brazil 1970 after we won and when we lose we’re Kuwait 1982

10 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I found out, from the reaction today, that if you are ever in a position where you need to use a defibrillator then the machine itself will be able to talk you through how to use it. I didn't know that before and I'm pleased I know it now.

And now I/we know that too. Cheers Jon. 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

I thought England put in a really solid TEAM performance. Phillips was outstanding but the team unit knowing their roles pleased me most. 

Some were saying Croatia didn't play well but I think England didn't let them play well. 

Happy so far, hopes raised... 

...before the enviable let down later in the tournament. 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

8 minutes ago, DavidM said:

So it’s Macedonia , they haven’t split in two ?

Never been officially Macedonia but, yes, it’s Macedonia 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I found out, from the reaction today, that if you are ever in a position where you need to use a defibrillator then the machine itself will be able to talk you through how to use it. I didn't know that before and I'm pleased I know it now.

I did the training - you still need to learn CPR as that is also required. CPR is way more physically difficult than you think and you may need to do it for a while before the defib is ready or the paramedics arrive.

2 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

I thought England put in a really solid TEAM performance. Phillips was outstanding but the team unit knowing their roles pleased me most. 

Some were saying Croatia didn't play well but I think England didn't let them play well. 

Happy so far, hopes raised... 

...before the enviable let down later in the tournament. 

I checked the odds in Denmark and England are second favourites now. It seems neatrals see it as a good result.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I checked the odds in Denmark and England are second favourites now. It seems neatrals see it as a good result.

Croatia are a decent side with a world class player in Modric but other teams have better strikers for sure. All eyes on Scotland tomorrow.

I think Belgium, France and Italy at least are better than England.

4 minutes ago, tim2 said:

I did the training - you still need to learn CPR as that is also required. CPR is way more physically difficult than you think and you may need to do it for a while before the defib is ready or the paramedics arrive.

Ah okay. That does make sense.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I just switched on ITV in time to see a very nicely-volleyed goal from Austria. Odd colour scheme for their kit, with black shirts and sky blue shorts.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Ah okay. That does make sense.

You also get told to do it for a couple of minutes between shocks before the machine checks the heart again.

Just now, Futtocks said:

I just switched on ITV in time to see a very nicely-volleyed goal from Austria. Odd colour scheme for their kit, with black shirts and sky blue shorts.

Goal - 9 out of 10. Kit - 3 out of 10.

Just now, tim2 said:

Goal - 9 out of 10. Kit - 3 out of 10.

They look like they're in their training/warm-up gear.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Shocking defending. 1-1.

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

I tried watching it, I really did, but after about 3 minutes I went out and mowed my front garden. I finished and went back inside to find it was half time and 0-0.

I laid out in my freshly cut garden for about half an hour then went back inside again to find it was still 0-0 after 57 mins, I think.

I tried watching again and England finally scored. Nothing of any note happened after that.

Is this really the beautiful game and our national sport?

It's now a technically precise game rather than an exciting, entertaining game it once was, it's more about the stopping the opposition playing and keeping possession than anything else.

Can't say I was impressed with England at all, even less impressed with Croatia, who are usually a good side to watch.

It's just so tepid, slow and uninteresting, unless you really appreciate the precise tactical chess game type stuff?

I've watched 15 minutes of the Austria- North Macedonia game and there's been more action and intent than in the entire 90 minutes of the England game, 2 teams attacking each other, not worried about losing possession or getting their pass percentage rates high, attackers and defenders challenging and tussling for the ball, just how it should be.

Archived