EURO 2020 ('21) THREAD

22 minutes ago, tim2 said:

I did the training - you still need to learn CPR as that is also required. CPR is way more physically difficult than you think and you may need to do it for a while before the defib is ready or the paramedics arrive.

Which is why, ideally why more people need to be trained to perform CPR, so that people can take turns doing it and not get fatigued doing it on their own 👍

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I just switched on ITV in time to see a very nicely-volleyed goal from Austria. Odd colour scheme for their kit, with black shirts and sky blue shorts.

Strange, and annoying to see both countries in their change strips, a modern annoyance in football and RL!

As for the colour scheme, they're just copying the mighty owls 😄

image.png.6089ceca98e3efa40e2f646c00491dd0.png

12 minutes ago, meast said:

It's now a technically precise game rather than an exciting, entertaining game it once was, it's more about the stopping the opposition playing and keeping possession than anything else.

Can't say I was impressed with England at all, even less impressed with Croatia, who are usually a good side to watch.

It's just so tepid, slow and uninteresting, unless you really appreciate the precise tactical chess game type stuff?

I've watched 15 minutes of the Austria- North Macedonia game and there's been more action and intent than in the entire 90 minutes of the England game, 2 teams attacking each other, not worried about losing possession or getting their pass percentage rates high, attackers and defenders challenging and tussling for the ball, just how it should be.

Yes, if you're not planning on winning the tournament. Give the ball away that often against France, Belgium, Italy or even England and you will lose.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 minute ago, tim2 said:

Yes, if you're not planning on winning the tournament. Give the ball away that often against France, Belgium, Italy or even England and you will lose.

Understand that, but at the same time, if you attack these teams rather than try and contain and or pass around them and take them out of their comfort zone?

Football is all very same-ish and dogmatic these days it takes all the excitement out of it.

Just now, meast said:

Understand that, but at the same time, if you attack these teams rather than try and contain and or pass around them and take them out of their comfort zone?

Football is all very same-ish and dogmatic these days it takes all the excitement out of it.

The same argument can be made about rugby league. The NRL is the best quality in the world, but they're pretty regimented in 80% of their play. The winners grind the opposition down and only really throw it around once they are clear.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

40 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Unless my telly’s dodgy I’m sure the commentator said one of these players was on 500,000 a week ?

Aye, probably.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

Croatia are a decent side with a world class player in Modric but other teams have better strikers for sure. All eyes on Scotland tomorrow.

I think Belgium, France and Italy at least are better than England.

Indeed, I cannot envision England winning. It to say the performance was good in itself and good enough will do. 

We should feel better than Croatia do. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Austria and North Macedonia best game so far, very enjoyable,  who'd have thought it. 

England weren't exactly thrilling but came through against dangerous opponents and looked pretty comfortable. No real dud games yet, very promising start to tournament. 

Only 1 defrib required for Christian Eriksen to get his heart going. That's quick. My friend was technically dead for 25 minutes, saved by two medical professionals who happened to be running behind him when he collapsed and then the prompt arrival of a defib (not as close as the one in the stadium though), followed by a trip in the Air Ambulance.

3 hours ago, tim2 said:

I thought we were much better than that. This isn't the gung-ho Premier League and it was 30 degrees out there. They passed well, they defended brilliantly and it will give those young players tremendous confidence.

Watching England platers who can pass and can control the ball is a breath of fresh air. I've been watching them for 50 years and we're rarely short of effort and pride but often very short of composure.

I made this very point today, from about 2006-16 I watched England teams that were routinely unable to keep possession against even half-decent teams. And barring the odd heroic game, it was pretty similar for many years before that!

2 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I checked the odds in Denmark and England are second favourites now. It seems neatrals see it as a good result.

If you look at odds over here, we're always one of the top 2/3 favourites so I often go on foreign websites to see what they think and it is pretty much the same. I think I was on German BET365 before the tournament and we were second favourites then.

3 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I saw a documentary which I think was called World Cup Hellas about the ill-fated Greek campaign in 1994.

Consequently I got behind them as underdogs through the 2004 Euros, until there was a point towards the end of their semi when a sort of buyer`s remorse hit me, along the lines of "this lot are rubbish, they`ll ruin the final" - which they duly did.

I remember Greece getting trounced by a very good Nigeria team in 1994 , after scoring , one of the Nigerian players got down on all fours , crawled to the corner flag  , cocked his leg up and pretended to urinate like a dog , it was in response to a pre-tournament insult by the Greek coach .

Netherlands playing well and 1-0 up. The cooler temperatures helping them up the pace I think. Ukraine are all over the place.

5 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Netherlands playing well and 1-0 up. The cooler temperatures helping them up the pace I think. Ukraine are all over the place.

And they go 2:0 up pretty quickly after that. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

17 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

2:2, all of a sudden! Game most definitely on!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

WTF just happened. 2-2 after a brilliant goal and Ukraine suddenly look like they could win.

The Netherlands retake the lead, thanks to (blimey is that really his name?) Denzel Dumfries.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

The Netherlands retake the lead, thanks to (blimey is that really his name?) Denzel Dumfries.

Ukraine keeper had a brain explosion there.

Yesterday in the Denmark-Finland match there was a Delaney and O'Shaughnessy and I assumed Ireland had qualified.

8 hours ago, tim2 said:

Only 1 defrib required for Christian Eriksen to get his heart going. That's quick. My friend was technically dead for 25 minutes, saved by two medical professionals who happened to be running behind him when he collapsed and then the prompt arrival of a defib (not as close as the one in the stadium though), followed by a trip in the Air Ambulance.

It took one defrib for a close family member of mine, the same age.

It was one of the most frightening things I have ever experienced.

The players were heroes and brave yesterday. 

Archived