EURO 2020 ('21) THREAD

10 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Really enjoyed that game.

All afternoon, I've heard how good England were but as a layman I sure wish we played a brand of football like the Netherlands. Couple of defensive lapses aside, they could've had a bag full. 

We won't really know how good any of the big guns are until they get to the quarters, except for France, who have a rather average German team (by their standards) in their group. Germany can't be discounted, obviously, despite their poor form.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I remember Schick at Sampdoria being compared to Bergkamp but he then flopped at Roma - that was some goal then against Scotland!

There’s an up Schick Creek joke in there somewhere 

Classic Scotland

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Commentators in that game were a right laugh . The bloke reacted like that goal was a one inch tap in then they droned on about how unlucky jocks were and how they were still in it with like 5 seconds left . Then the pundits saying how they can win at Wembers . They’re always good for a laugh 

46 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

"Get used to it" is a bit strong. They'll be about 60 when it happens again.

42 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Bit nervous to see so many (presumably) England fans laughing at Scotland.

They could easily end up looking like Brazil at their best on Friday evening.......

I’ve just seen a Scotland win at 9/1 which seems ridiculously long. England are favourites (obviously) but a Scotland win is well within the realms of possibility.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I’ve just seen a Scotland win at 9/1 which seems ridiculously long. England are favourites (obviously) but a Scotland win is well within the realms of possibility.

We should give up if they win here , even by scotland standards theyre quality stocks are really average 

Scotland are always well up for it against England and always play above themselves. I remember Euro 96 when Scotland were the better team for much of the game, with a missed penalty and Gascoigne's brilliance being the difference. 

9 hours ago, DavidM said:

We should give up if they win here , even by scotland standards theyre quality stocks are really average 

Just so long as the players aren't as complacent as the fans, we should be okay.

They're really not a great Scotland team but it's hard to believe that anyone who has endured England in major tournaments ever thinks a game is in the bag before it's even been played.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Sweden giving a demonstration on how not to lose your opening game against one of the tournament's favourites.

They had the better chances overall. A game to be watched whilst doing literally anything else, though.

54 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Just so long as the players aren't as complacent as the fans, we should be okay.

They're really not a great Scotland team but it's hard to believe that anyone who has endured England in major tournaments ever thinks a game is in the bag before it's even been played.

You are of course correct ...What was I thinking ? I’ve now had a cold shower and a stern word with myself 

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Nonsense.

We’ll mow them down like grass.

Send the horse - full attack!

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/d04d1c42-356f-4725-8c44-8c38b8c8cd63

😉

On a serious note, I thought Scotland improved when they brought on Che Adams in the second half and were building pressure before the Czechs sealed it with that wonder goal.

It’ll be interesting to see how Southgate deals with the main threat of the Robertson/Tierney tandem down the left (assuming Tierney is fit).

That is one area where Scotland have genuine proven quality and Walker/Stones will have to be watchful.  As ever I expect Scotland will make up for a lack of quality with grit and determination particularly on the part of Scotland based players.

Germany looked a bit toothless up front, and France looked dangerous assuming they can stop drifting offside,  but Portugal could beat both of them. England will probably play the runners up of this group and I'm hoping that's Germany. 

15 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Germany looked a bit toothless up front, and France looked dangerous assuming they can stop drifting offside,  but Portugal could beat both of them. England will probably play the runners up of this group and I'm hoping that's Germany. 

It was an interesting game, Germany certainly gave it their all but as you say they were toothless. They seemed to lack any real threat despite coming close a couple of times. France were certainly more dangerous even if there was a period in the 2nd half where Germany seemed to be dominating.

Portugal were similar to Spain in the first half, where they were well on top without getting a goal. Once they got the goal, it all seemed to crumble for Hungary. I think France will likely have the beating of both of them and in fact for the tournament as whole I think the best hope of them not winning it is that somebody manages to drag them into penalties and beats them.

If I had to choose a scenario that involved us playing any of the big 3 in that group in the 2nd round or Semis, it would probably be Germany at home in the 2nd round. I'm under no illusions we'd be favourites or even likely to win, but it'd probably be our best bet.

Thought Kante had a really good game last night and sniffed out the danger well for France not allowing the Germans to build anything between the lines forcing the play out wide.

Timo Werner and Leroy Sane were very disappointing for me when they came off the bench, but we’ve seen this many times before with German national sides at major tournaments in group stages - they tend to peak late and at the right time (although I don’t think the defence is good enough to win it).

Portugal have a lot of talent on paper, but if anything Hungary just started to over commit to try and win the game towards the end and got punished.  Once in front though the Portuguese were clinical and their game with France will be one to watch I feel.

Archived