EURO 2020 ('21) THREAD

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

every single one of us gets older every minute- the world changes every second, the current England football team is bland, characterless and boring - simple

To be fair, they are there to play football.

From what we know they are a very together group too.

What exactly or who are you pining after?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

To be fair, they are there to play football.

From what we know they are a very together group too.

What exactly or who are you pining after?

players who are not instantly forgettable and sanitised 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

8 minutes ago, DavidM said:

With this expanded tournament the draw is really weird , opaque and convoluted . If Wales come second they play second in Belgium’s group …. Denmark Finland Russia . If we win our group we play second in France , Germany , Portugal’s group . There are some group winners who play third place teams . I tried to follow it in my daily mirror pull out but it’s not easy . The whole comp is a bit bloated now 

Since the fragmentation of the USSR and Yugoslavia there are now I believe 58 countries affiliated to UEFA, continuing with just 16 team finals wasn't really on, it would just be the same countries qualifying every time with the others getting locked out, so I understand the increase to 24. Same with the WC , they're are now so many quality players who represent so many international teams that the increase to 40 teams for the WC is inevitable. I think the continental and global bodies have done well to keep international football as popular as it is in the face of powerful clubs. Credits to them,  something RL can hopefully emulate. What RL needs is an international governing authority with total power and not being lickspittle to Australia.  Back to the footy, only 1 -0 but a good game with plenty on it. Two minutes left.

22 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

thats too much for that penalty attempt

This aged well

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Since the fragmentation of the USSR and Yugoslavia there are now I believe 58 countries affiliated to UEFA, continuing with just 16 team finals wasn't really on, it would just be the same countries qualifying every time with the others getting locked out, so I understand the increase to 24. Same with the WC , they're are now so many quality players who represent so many international teams that the increase to 40 teams for the WC is inevitable. I think the continental and global bodies have done well to keep international football as popular as it is in the face of powerful clubs. Credits to them,  something RL can hopefully emulate. What RL needs is an international governing authority with total power and not being lickspittle to Australia.  Back to the footy, only 1 -0 but a good game with plenty on it. Two minutes left.

Yeh but a tournament is meant to be an elite , with a challenge to qualify . Or should be IMO.  Everyone has the chance to qualify , equally .  It shouldn’t be school sports . There are 211 teams in FIFA so why only 40 …  that  would be terrible . It’s way to diluted 

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

What is it you want them to do exactly?

drive bentleys in to swimming pools full of topless models shortly after spending all night swigging cheap nightclub champagne and shortly before taking the pitch to knock in a hat trick and motm performance to beat Germany in a major final - is that asking too much?

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

This aged well

should have been 2 nil though at that point - they wont get that chance again against better teams than turkey 

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Yeh but a tournament is meant to be an elite , with a challenge to qualify . Or should be IMO.  Everyone has the chance to qualify , equally .  It shouldn’t be school sports . There are 211 teams in FIFA so why only 40 …  that  would be terrible . It’s way to diluted 

Are you saying that Wales or Slovakia,  Hungary,  none of whom would be in a 16 team tournament,  have no business being there,  and are diluting it ? 

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

drive bentleys in to swimming pools full of topless models shortly after spending all night swigging cheap nightclub champagne and shortly before taking the pitch to knock in a hat trick and motm performance to beat Germany in a major final - is that asking too much?

I might not turn up until well into the second half 

3 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Are you saying that Wales or Slovakia,  Hungary,  none of whom would be in a 16 team tournament,  have no business being there,  and are diluting it ? 

There should be 16 teams yes 

4 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

should have been 2 nil though at that point - they wont get that chance again against better teams than turkey 

All the goals in the game were Bale assists, I believe.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Well done Wales

Yes, agree, but why is their change colours the first choice of Australia?

Most of the other countries have the flags of both teams below their badge, Wales didn't 

think the general feeling was one of surprise with that penalty miss from bale but otherwise a great performance - well done wales

1 minute ago, Bleep1673 said:

Yes, agree, but why is their change colours the first choice of Australia?

Australia are obviously not using that kit not been in europe like russia is - so iron a dragon badge over the kangaroo one - bargain!

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Australia are obviously not using that kit not been in europe like russia is - so iron a dragon badge over the kangaroo one - bargain!

They could be in when the euros gets expanded next 

4 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

They are in Eurovision, how long before UEFA?

6 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

I would've loved it if when Russia hosted the World Cup, if they scheduled the non-Russian Group games in Vladivostock.

On 14/06/2021 at 20:04, marklaspalmas said:

Bit nervous to see so many (presumably) England fans laughing at Scotland.

They could easily end up looking like Brazil at their best on Friday evening.......

I've said all along, I'd be mightily surprised if the haggis munchers aren't right up for it on Friday and get something out of the game.

I get the feeling that England's defence isn't all that great and I'm sure Scotland will put them under a lot of pressure.

England may mock them, but whatever they lack in ability compared to England, they'll more than make up for in pride and passion!

19 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

do we really need 3 and half hours coverage of this game though?

I am sure the BBC will devote the same screen time, & analysis when it's the Rugby League World Cup later this year.

Archived