EURO 2020 ('21) THREAD

2 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I don't know a lot about football, but I'm always amazed at how bad pundits are. It always seems to me that they look at the result and then decide whether it was good.

The Croatia game is the perfect example, we played very similar to the Scotland game IMO. The only difference was that we got a goal and Croatia were toothless. However, most pundits were singing our praises. 

Similarly, most pundits are asserting that Scotland deserved to win last night. This is based on emotion rather than reason, both sides had their chances including the single best chance going to England. Considering the respective quality of both they did better, but on balance a draw was definitely fair.

Think what you like of Roy Keane but he says it as is, while they were all going on about how great Scotland were he basically said but you haven't scored a goal. 

I posted my thoughts to my Father-in-law during the game, as a goal might have happened and the story would transform.

The England players clearly looked better. A 1-0 victory would have made sense, been talked about as how it was clearly inevitable and been a mark of the real quality.

The Scotland team clearly looked more direct. A 1-0 victory would have made sense, been talked about as how it was clearly inevitable and mark of how terrible England were.

Actually, 0-0 was fair.

Were points scored like in a rugby league game, it might have been 32-18 to England. But, the nature of footballl score lends itself to absolute narratives.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, DavidM said:

Honestly that was so bad i would  barely believe it if i hadnt seen it numerous times before in tournaments . We consistently play below the sum of our parts and are just ###### to watch …. Slow , ponderous , no invention , no creativity , no cutting edge . Please drop the two midfield defenders system its utterly tedious watching them pass sideways and backwards very slowly . Weve seen before this has stymied us so southgate does it again . No drive or energy or forward passes there at all . Kane looks half an hour off the pace , Sterling was horrendous . The only guy looking lively was foden and he took the kid off , then plays grealish on the wing . I mean wtf? Southgate has imprinted his character on this team , very bland and unexciting . Dont lose and maybe we can nick it . You wont do owt until you go out there play uptempo like we do in this country and try and grab it . The more it went the less we looked like scoring , and eventually we had no centre foreard at all!

Crab football David , sideways....sideways ....backwards....sideways ....... sideways.

Yawnsville.

9 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I'd have had a problem with that performance if we were either behind in that game or hadn't won the first one. As it is, it was very boring, very pedestrian but, ultimately, there's now a very good chance that England progress to the round of 16 whilst Scotland celebrate a glorious goal-less draw as the high point of both their ambition and achievement.

Exactly. England pretty much qualified, picked up no injuries, no yellow cards and saw off an opponent for whom it is a cup final. Scotland now have to win a home game against a smaller country that doesn't benefit from access to a bunch of players born abroad, yet will somehow be the plucky battling underdogs.

Nobody ever wins these tournaments by blowing away the opposition game after game.  Portugal won it last time with draws in six out of their seven games after 90 minutes. The only team they beat in normal time was Wales in the semi-finals. They had two wins on penalties and an extra time win in the final. 

21 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Sucker punch by Portugal 

Beautifully done, but now Germany have equalised in what has been a pretty good game so far.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yowsers! Portugal have scores three goals and are trailing 2-1.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

That was a cracking first half.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hilarious thread. Good to see England have virtually qualified due to a goal from a player born aboard.😄

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

If England win the group,  they're in trouble,  whoever is runner up in the group of death is going to give us a hiding, if we play like last night again. 

20 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

If England win the group,  they're in trouble,  whoever is runner up in the group of death is going to give us a hiding, if we play like last night again. 

Fate  … it’s bound to be Germany 

2 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

Hilarious thread. Good to see England have virtually qualified due to a goal from a player born aboard.😄

There's a big difference between someone born in a foreign country but spending almost all their life in a country, and someone using a grandpa to play for a country they've never supported.

A very good, and deserved, result for Poland tonight.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, JonM said:

Exactly. England pretty much qualified, picked up no injuries, no yellow cards and saw off an opponent for whom it is a cup final. Scotland now have to win a home game against a smaller country that doesn't benefit from access to a bunch of players born abroad, yet will somehow be the plucky battling underdogs.

Nobody ever wins these tournaments by blowing away the opposition game after game.  Portugal won it last time with draws in six out of their seven games after 90 minutes. The only team they beat in normal time was Wales in the semi-finals. They had two wins on penalties and an extra time win in the final. 

I think there was just one win by penalties, against Poland. But the other win against Croatia was in extra time. Sorry to be pedantic. 

I think you make a good point. In all the years Portugal played attacking football with the golden generation they didn't win. Now with a more defensive coach they have won the Euros and Nations league. 

Wales and Italy are both through and should aim to finish the match as fresh and non-injured as possible.

It might not be a classic.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 minute ago, Bob8 said:

Wales and Italy are both through and should aim to finish the match as fresh and non-injured as possible.

It might not be a classic.

Will Denmark make it if they beat Russia Bob  ?

13 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Will Denmark make it if they beat Russia Bob  ?

They should do. Maybe. I am hoping so. Finland was no measure and they were decent against Belgium.

Assuming Belgium beath Finland and Denmark beat Russia (two requirements), then there would be three teams on three points.

4 hours ago, Bob8 said:

They should do. Maybe. I am hoping so. Finland was no measure and they were decent against Belgium.

Assuming Belgium beath Finland and Denmark beat Russia (two requirements), then there would be three teams on three points.

Hi Bob, nice to see you again.

I think, Denmark will get second on goal difference if they beat Russia, provided Belgium beat Finland as you say. 

I am not sure if 3 points will be sufficient for one of the 3rd place slots this time. They'd be relying on teams in the other groups drawing their final games. 

I think with Christian Eriksen they would have a nice path to the quarters or even semis, but as you know he is impossible to replace. Having said that I think they can beat Russia and then Wales should this be the route.

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Good job none of the England players got anywhere near him on Friday.

I suppose he probably caught it on the open top bus homecoming parade through Glasgow at the weekend. 

Archived