EURO 2020 ('21) THREAD

32 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Pre-tournament if you go to foreign websites we are often touted as a possible winner. This tournament we were always in the top 4.

Funnily enough, we are often tagged as a team that can't transfer our qualifying form into tournaments. 

Yes, England should do better, in general, than we do. But we're very rarely completely out of the running and given how disparaging we are, as a country, to people who talk tactically about football (witness this thread even) that's really not bad at all. I don't think this current team is a golden generation being wasted. Round of 16 would be too soon, Quarter Finals would be right, semi finals a major success. (But I have seen us listed as favourites abroad - not sure I buy it except as a recognition that this a very open tournament).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I'm not sure I've ever heard an English person honestly claim we're the best team in the world.

England are consistently ranked in the top 10 nations in the world based on results. In the last 27 years we have played in all but one of the last 13 tournaments. If we were as bad as you like to think we are, then we wouldn't qualify in the first place. 

England's tournament failures are well documented, but there is more to it than supposedly being an average side. 

You are absolutely right. I think Meast is repeating things he has heard without understanding them or considering if it is true. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think England look a lot better and more threatening tonight. Grealish and Saka have definitely added more spark.

saka? thats another one i have never heard of!

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

14 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Heart breaking scenes going on at Hampden. No not really. 😂

A beauty of a goal from Modric, though.

One for the Scotland fans.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

So far - Croatia 3:1 Scotland

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

54 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think England look a lot better and more threatening tonight. Grealish and Saka have definitely added more spark.

First half was better . Second half was utterly tedious . Im not sure why we do that 

15 minutes ago, DavidM said:

First half was better . Second half was utterly tedious . Im not sure why we do that 

Typically English according to one of the Danish pundits

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Yes but we won! 😀 

If we can win well, great. But I'll always take a poor win over a exciting loss.

Football isn't about being entertained. It's about winning!

If I want to be "entertained" by sport I watch Rugby League. 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

So, in the end, I was right, and the high point of Scotland's entire campaign was a 0-0 draw.

Every football pundit should be forced to go back and explain WTF they were talking about the morning after the England v Scotland game. Especially the ones who said momentum (doesn't exist) was with Scotland (laughable) and England didn't know what they were doing.

Not saying England are world beaters but they are clearly hard to beat and that's the foundation you need more than pretty much anything else.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

So, in the end, I was right, and the high point of Scotland's entire campaign was a 0-0 draw.

Every football pundit should be forced to go back and explain WTF they were talking about the morning after the England v Scotland game. Especially the ones who said momentum (doesn't exist) was with Scotland (laughable) and England didn't know what they were doing.

Not saying England are world beaters but they are clearly hard to beat and that's the foundation you need more than pretty much anything else.

There were pundits basically saying Scotland had a golden generation and compared to England they’re a ‘ footballing team ‘ … 

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Looking at the games tonight, I'd say our likely 2nd round opponents go in this order:

Germany

France

Portugal

Hungary

At least we'll have one big game eh? 

None of those teams is particularly going to want to come to Wembley and have to beat England to make the quarter-finals (by virtue of finishing second) versus a game against probably one of Switzerland, Czech Republic, Slovakia or Poland on a neutral ground.  Should make for a decent couple of games - all 4 teams in Group F will want to win rather than draw.

So it looks like we’re going for the ‘ pragmatic ‘ approach of scoring then hanging on and trying to win the comp by boring everyone else into submission.  Quite a few sides have reached finals doing this , and apparently Southgate has looked into this . So we don’t want to be going one down . The kid from Arsenal was very good last night btw , he made the goal by turning and running with the ball and looked very much at home

Why are Scotland fans so surprised? Scottish teams are rubbish in the Champions League, never making it out of the Group stage, and if the finish 3rd, and qualify for Europa League they get beat there in the 1st KO Round. In the Europa League they barely make it through qualifying. They are about as good as their northern neighbours Faroe Islands. They got knocked out, having scored 1 goal, the fact of having a 2 team league doesn't help, Celtic, Rangers, YEAH! we rule the Scottish World Championship for the last 120 years! Small fish, big pond.

Scotland would be lucky to beat an Omelette.

4 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

the fact of having a 2 team league doesn't help,

Croatia pretty much has a 1 team league, smaller population that Scotland, and yet reached the world cup semi-finals in 2018. Five of their twenty six man squad play in Croatia, the rest play in England, Spain, Germany, Italy, France, Turkey, Russia (and one plays for Rangers).

8 hours ago, JonM said:

None of those teams is particularly going to want to come to Wembley and have to beat England to make the quarter-finals (by virtue of finishing second) versus a game against probably one of Switzerland, Czech Republic, Slovakia or Poland on a neutral ground.  Should make for a decent couple of games - all 4 teams in Group F will want to win rather than draw.

Should be a decent night. Like you said, as bad as we often think we are, playing us at Wembley isn't going to be the sort of game that any of the big nations will settle for if they can avoid it.

Germany will definitely go out to win, after all they can still go out and if it's a draw at any point a lucky goal and they're out.

France's route is clearest, win and they avoid England, a draw they probably play England and a defeat leaves them likely in 3rd.

Portugal may be the most cautious as their main consideration will be qualification. They'd probably take a draw against France and a likely 3rd place finish. However, as with Germany, with a draw they are one goal from elimination.

Hungary's route is obvious: they need a win or they're out.

Interesting times... 

At the present the two third place teams missing out are Slovakia 3pts GD -5, and Finland 3pts GD -2. Third place in group F will qualify unless they end up with a GD of worse than -2, so either Portugal and Germany can lose by 2 goals and go through with GD of -1. If both Germany and Portugal lose, unlikely,  Hungary will be second and Germany third on head to head over Portugal. 

Archived