EURO 2020 ('21) THREAD

In club sport terms losing a semi final has alway been the worst point to go out of a comp , even if you make the final and lose you still get the big day out , I went to the last semi final Man Utd lost for something like 30 years in 75 , it was in the League cup to Norwich , after that they had an incredible run to the mid 00s 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

I think that would change if we were to reach the final. Suddenly we'd be one game away from actually winning a major tournament. That surely would bring on huge levels on anxiety. I know it would for me.

I was pretty calm against Ukraine as I was confident we'd win that game. I'm less confident against Denmark, but I still think we'll win. The Germany game was the one that I had most anxiety about, as I felt it was a 50/50 chance. Plus after Netherlands were out, I thought the winner of that game would reach the final. That gave it even more significance.

I don't think I'd be anxious at all about a final. I'd be invested in wanting us to win but finally reaching a final after 55 years would be an achievement. Importantly, from a player POV, there wouldn't be much pressure from the crowd like there could've been against Germany. 

Wednesday will be nervy but even then it won't be as nervy for me as Germany or even Ukraine at first. Failures at those levels represent underachievement rather than just disappointment.

the players have played in plenty of situations from play off promotion games to champions league semis and finals- they have been through all this before as individuals at their clubs- the mentality should be the same

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

"“You want players to connect to the team in a multitude of ways. Someone like Raheem Sterling is a proud Englishman, but he was born in Jamaica and he’s rightly very proud of his Jamaican roots. He might identify more with those values than with certain traditions, outdated English perceptions of what the England team’s values should be. We wanted to reflect what the England football team means to people in the 21st century and what it should look like to those players within the squad.”"

How England changed their culture and restored a long-lost sense of identity

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

"“You want players to connect to the team in a multitude of ways. Someone like Raheem Sterling is a proud Englishman, but he was born in Jamaica and he’s rightly very proud of his Jamaican roots. He might identify more with those values than with certain traditions, outdated English perceptions of what the England team’s values should be. We wanted to reflect what the England football team means to people in the 21st century and what it should look like to those players within the squad.”"

How England changed their culture and restored a long-lost sense of identity

For some reason I can't seem to read this article but the issue of representative sport is one I've always found interesting and I'm still quite particular about who I think should be able to represent a country from a moral perspective.

Funnily enough I was flicking through last night when the tennis came on and Raducanu was playing. I'd heard she was from Canada so wasn't too interested, as I presumed she was a Greg Rusedski type of English. When I heard she'd lived in England since the age of 2 I didn't have a problem. This is similar to how I feel about Sterling. If you've been brought up in England, went to an English school, been brought through the English sporting system then you're as English as any other. I currently teach children from Slovakia, Poland and Hong Kong and they're all cheering for England at the moment because their friends are. After all, what most nationality boils down to is a shared experience based around a set place. I don't see a conflict in split identities: my own children are half-Irish and will inevitably feel this more as they get older whilst still probably supporting England.

On the other side, I can understand how people can feel English despite being brought up elsewhere. I have cousins who emigrated to Canada as young children and they all see themselves as English. That's understandable too, especially when your parents and wider family are all English. A good example of this is Kevin Kilbane, he grew up with Irish parents supporting Ireland - England was never a thought to him.

Other than that I tend to have issues. Anybody that chooses a country to represent out of a career choice rather than primary affinity I find hard to support. As somebody who had lived in another country, I don't honestly think I could've ever represented Ireland at anything without feeling like a fraud or faintly embarrassed. Also, whilst I understand the parent/grandparent rule and think it should stand I think it is all too often abused. Look at our very own Declan Rice who played 3 times for ROI, he's clearly an England fan who took the chance to leave when he could. 

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Commentator said something about Laporte there , and in premier league commentaries theyve often said he’s French 

He's Basque , dual nationality , waited a few years to be picked for France , then turned to the Spanish 

Said to my son that Spain needed to finish them off , they were looking to bring Traore on just before the equaliser , he would have given the tiring Italian defence a different problem 

From a Danish/English perspective, it was good to see it go to extra time.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Also, no nation that has lost the Euros final still exists as a real nation forty years later. This is high stakes.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

27 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Also, no nation that has lost the Euros final still exists as a real nation forty years later. This is high stakes.

This is quite an anti-Belgian statement.

Funnily enough, until looking this up I didn't realise how bad a record the Italians have at the Euros having only won it once when it was a 4 team tournament. They'll certainly be looking at this as their best chance in a while.

43 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

This is quite an anti-Belgian statement.

Funnily enough, until looking this up I didn't realise how bad a record the Italians have at the Euros having only won it once when it was a 4 team tournament. They'll certainly be looking at this as their best chance in a while.

I did set that year limit with thought 😄

I suspect that in forty years time  England is unlikely to be a fulling independent and self-governing country, but you never know.

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

So Belgium should be disappearing at any moment. Obviously covid delayed their enviable demise. 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

I thought that was a good match , and Spain were the better side playing some good controlled football . They have scored goals but missed lots of chances as well and that hurt them again . After a bright start I thought Italy began to look tired , and you’d say there are weaknesses there to exploit for whoever they play 

17 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

So Belgium should be disappearing at any moment. Obviously covid delayed their enviable demise. 

Belgium never has been a proper country.

25 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Is it one of those made up ones like Narnia and Grand Fenwick?

Yes. Or Sweden.

Denmark vs England will be the first game that I go to watch at the village pub.

Archived